First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
We went back and forth on SAS since this will be my Wife's DD and will do light wheeling but nothing crazy. We have other toys for that.

If we went non-sas. We would put wheels/tires + maybe leveling kit. This would be very close to the price of SAS. Also gets the addition of lockers etc.

I also think of it like a Wrangler vs. Rubicon. Which holds value better?
Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I like to offroad and don't think it is worth getting SAS. You will want a lift and will be modifying the suspension. Sas shocks are great but have purpose valving and not ideal for anything more than 1.5 spacer lift. Goodyear Wrangler MT are a large 33" tire and you will buy bigger tires. Gearing 4.46 vs 4.71 is a mute point and I don't think either is enough gear for 37" tires. The front end is the part that I don't know, people are already moving up to aftermarket cv axles. I want more gearing than 4.46 and dana axles has a solution with a locker for reasonable money. SAS is nice but its not a must have, look at all the SAS take off parts for sale...

Aftermarket full skid plates are the best offroad modification you can do. Better than lockers, tires or lift.
Snacktime makes some good observations.

Yep, the 4.46 vs the 4.7 is only a 5% gearing difference, worse yet, 37's are way more likely to break tie rods, steering racks, and even cause axle problems with the wrong lift.

Skid plates and rock sliders are definitely necessary additions to the Bronco.

If you want to break less stuff, 33's are going to be much easier on the vehicle in many ways. Even skinnier/lighter 35's may be a better compromise for a lightly modified Bronco.

When I decided to not go with the sasquatch package, I did plan on changing the open differential with a TrueTrac Torsen style differential which doesn't disconnect at 20 MPH like a locker. The front locker is better for low speed crawling, but the Torsen offers benefits in low traction situations (like snow, rain, dirt, and gravel) at all speeds.

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I agree with you with this one exception:
Skid plates and rock sliders are definitely necessary additions to the Bronco.
If you're not doing rock crawling, you don't need rock sliders, and if you're careful enough on how you drive over big rocks on the trail, you can get by just fine without skid plates as well.

I do a lot of off road driving in my Bronco, but it's not that hard to keep the middle of it from going over big rocks.

Ripcurl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DodgeRam 1500 Laramie, HarleyDavidson 48
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The SAS sticker alone is worth like $500 and having it has gotten me past the velvet ropes at many VIP clubs and into many sold out events

Sponsored

greatlakes

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
67 Buick Special
Your Bronco Model
Base
I plan on keeping my Bronco for a while, and I knew if I didn't get SAS, I would silently regret it every time I passed one with it. Heaven forbid I should have to pull up next to one at a traffic light...

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Honestly, if I could have got cloth seats on a BD that would have been perfect for me. Decent upgrade on the tires and wheels, plus the rear locker.

Back in the day, we used to think nothing of off roading in a 4x4 F-150 with 31x10.5 Generals.

Tcbbronco

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Laura
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Seems like you dont want SAS, so dont get it. I couldnt imagine a Bronco without it, but if its too much skip it.

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
I plan on keeping my Bronco for a while, and I knew if I didn't get SAS, I would silently regret it every time I passed one with it. Heaven forbid I should have to pull up next to one at a traffic light...
And forty years from now when the grandkids come to visit, and you pull the canvas off the old girl, you don't have to tell them you chose signature headlights and dual climate control over lift, lockers and gearing. :)

Last edited:

JB4Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford f 150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yup, until a raptor pulls up next to us. lol

Sponsored

JB1901

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Badlands Sasquatch Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So to the original question, the value of the Sasquatch package.

Excluding the Badlands (or package which comes with the sasquatch package standard). The Bronco's capabilities on non-sasquatch Broncos is reduced depending on the trim and configuration. Upgrading the differential(s), transfer case, suspension, wheels, and tires via the sasquatch package is anywhere from a good value to a great deal, as long as you want the whole package.

In the Badlands - it isn't a good or great value, UNLESS you want the Sasquatch rims and tires.

Personally, I didn't want to run 35's, 4.7's, and I didn't like the rims or tires with the Sasquatch package. I wanted lockers, but I also wanted carpet, a cloth interior, and adaptive cruise control. I was somewhat screwed and had to decide on what compromise I would accept.

Ford Bronco Sasquatch seems like alot$ dwKWdPK

In the end, I ended up ordering the OBX with the rear locker, advanced 4x4 transfer case, and lux package. The 4.27 locker is plenty to run 33.5" tires even when running around Colorado (above 7,000'). I didn't get the sway bar disconnect or the front locker. I was initially bummed that I couldn't get everything that I wanted, but in the end, I was happy with what I ended up with.

The advanced 4x4 transfer and rear locker only added $1500 to the price. The 4.27 will run a wide range of wheel/tire combinations with ease. I addressed the suspension "short comings" by installing the Badlands shocks and springs. I have wheels and tires that look amazing on the Bronco (plus an extra set of wheels/tires for highway/economy use - 23 mpg at 70+ mph). It has been brilliant for the 41,000 miles that I have put on it so far.

Pikes Peak 14,000+ elevation.

I don't regret that I went non-sasquatch, but I also realize that I sacrificed some capabilities and some resale value making the choices that I did.
I've driven a 12pax E250 and a Ford Taurus up Pikes Peak. No Sasquatch package required!

JB1901

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Badlands Sasquatch Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
And forty years from now when the grandkids come to visit, and you pull the canvas off the old girl, you don't have to tell them chose signature headlights and dual climate control over lift, lockers and gearing. :)
In 40 years my grandkids are gonna be drooling over my Sasquatch with Lux package.

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Figured out what works best for me.
Big Bend 2.3 auto with locking/rear and gear change. MIC hard top, aux switches and door keypad.$43,200.

Base 2.3 auto with Sasquatch, aux switches and door keypad, MIC hard top comes in at $44,800. Big Bend is just what I need. Would spring for base/sas if it cut time. Now if I could only order it.
👍 you won’t be disappointed! The BB with locker gets you the 4.27 gears plenty enough to run 33-35’s with the 2.3. But mpg will suffer if you go bigger. If you come across a set of badlands take off wheels and tire like I did with sensors and all for $1200 it wasn’t too bad if a hit to the wallet.