Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So that is confirmed? The tread pattern looks to be very effective in snow. Way more so than for mud or dirt.

I always have had two sets of tires for my vehicles. Was thinking of keeping the Sas tires for winter only in fact. Dedicated triple peak tires for Nov - April and usually true mud terrains for summer off roading. The only exception to that is on my 4Runner and I went with Falken Widlpeaks AT3Ws. Great, reasonably priced tire with the 3 peak rating and very good pattern for most off road needs.

Btw, what is the load rating on the sasquatch tires?
It is the opposite of confirmed. I have them, they are not
Sponsored

pakrat

Badlands
First Name
JG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner-F250-Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It is the opposite of confirmed. I have them, they are not
Damn. Txs. Are they C load rated for fuel economy and ride quality?

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hello fellow 403'er.

I had the BFGs on my Suburban and on ice they are awful. Snow/slush no problem, but if you find yourself driving ice lots, you're gonna want something else.
Interesting, thanks.

It will be interesting to see how the BFGs work with the Bronco in the winter I commute to Fernie every weekend in the winter, and used the KO2s on my F150s for years without incident. I wholeheartedly agree that having dedicated winters like I now have on my 2019 F150 (thank you, Ford promotion and Advantage Ford!) takes the traction level up a notch. I want to see how my Bronco performs with the OEMs before prying my wallet open for another set of wheels and tires. If I can get ā€œKO2s on the F150ā€-level traction Iā€™ll be ok.

hozer

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Interesting, thanks.

It will be interesting to see how the BFGs work with the Bronco in the winter I commute to Fernie every weekend in the winter, and used the KO2s on my F150s for years without incident. I wholeheartedly agree that having dedicated winters like I now have on my 2019 F150 (thank you, Ford promotion and Advantage Ford!) takes the traction level up a notch. I want to see how my Bronco performs with the OEMs before prying my wallet open for another set of wheels and tires. If I can get ā€œKO2s on the F150ā€-level traction Iā€™ll be ok.
Figured you had experience. If they never let ya down, then thats the way.

Albertans know lol.

Sponsored

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Figured you had experience. If they never let ya down, then thats the way.

Albertans know lol.
LOL, and us ā€œCaliferniansā€ get to see it all most winters. Iā€™ve had many hellish nighttime drives to Fernie. I really respect the guys and gals in their compact FWD cars loaded to the roof and beyond who keep those cars on the road in those kinds of conditions.

I expect Iā€™ll be doing most of the Fernie trips with the truck as the traction is definitely better with the Michelin X-Ice and the ease to toss the skis into the box, but I bet Iā€™ll like the Bronco so much Iā€™ll want to drive it all the time.

How much are your winter wheels/tires going to cost in the SAS size, if you donā€™t mind me asking?

Murph914

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 F-350 reg cab srw v10 manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

General speaking: AT tires works because snow packs into the tread. Snow grips on snow better than anything. MT is designed to fling snow out which is what they do with mud. It gets flung out pulls more mud through.

Also wide tires are bad on snow (unless you are driving on hardpack way up north).

The bl comes on 33s with k02s from bf goodrich. Theyre tripple peak/ snow flake approved and are decent in the snow. Just okay on ice.

the wide mts look awesome, but a good s ow tire will be narrow and boring looking.

hozer

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

LOL, and us ā€œCaliferniansā€ get to see it all most winters. Iā€™ve had many hellish nighttime drives to Fernie. I really respect the guys and gals in their compact FWD cars loaded to the roof and beyond who keep those cars on the road in those kinds of conditions.

I expect Iā€™ll be doing most of the Fernie trips with the truck as the traction is definitely better with the Michelin X-Ice and the ease to toss the skis into the box, but I bet Iā€™ll like the Bronco so much Iā€™ll want to drive it all the time.

How much are your winter wheels/tires going to cost in the SAS size, if you donā€™t mind me asking?
LOL yeah any time I go to the hill I see a a metro with 5 passengers on bald 14s loaded to the hilt and wonder how the hell they aint dead yet.

Squatch size (315/70/17) was $2700 for rims/tires (steelies and Hakkapeliittas)
'Stock' size (285/70/17 was $1800 for rims/tires (AR rims and Toyo GSi6)

Went with some AR rims and Toyo cause 0 value in the extra size for me on the winters. Will be mostly forestry road and if anything the smaller tire gonna help.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nerding a bit - the rubber compound used in winter tires is vasty different than whatā€™s used in mudders. There also is much more siping in a winter tire.

Typical mudder tires (and most M+S tires) turn into bricks when the temperature gets below say 5C, and they lose all adhesion to the road. The tread design means little at this point.

Siping and tread blocks add biting edges which, when combined with soft, oily rubber compounds, allows the tire to flex around the rough surface of ice and hold on to it. A stiff tire without siping just sits on top of the ice like an egg on a non-stick pan.

Thereā€™s more to it than this simple analogy but I think Iā€™ve hit the main differences. Lots of good reading on the engineering behind different tires on the Interwebs.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
LOL yeah any time I go to the hill I see a a metro with 5 passengers on bald 14s loaded to the hilt and wonder how the hell they aint dead yet.

Squatch size (315/70/17) was $2700 for rims/tires (steelies and Hakkapeliittas)
'Stock' size (285/70/17 was $1800 for rims/tires (AR rims and Toyo GSi6)

Went with some AR rims and Toyo cause 0 value in the extra size for me on the winters. Will be mostly forestry road and if anything the smaller tire gonna help.
Thanks. Thatā€™s a touch painful but I can live with an under 2k solution.

Sponsored

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 F150,02 Excursion,06 Chrysler 300C,21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Took delivery today, put 45 miles on it. All on snow pack/ice. I was really surprised by the Goodyears. I never got the ABS to kick in today and even went up some steep hills. My Hakkapeliitta are going on next week, can't wait to see the difference.

IMG_20211112_175050_209.jpg

IMG_20211112_175050_173.jpg

IMG_20211112_175050_145.jpg

IMG_20211112_175050_063.jpg

kput

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Bronco 4door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I've been planning on running Wilpeak AT3's on my Bronco, but am likely going to pick up a set of 33's from a Badlands with th eTerritory MT's.. am curious on snow performance as well.. I live in Omaha, so we don't allow, or typically need studded tires. Generally we will see snow 5-6 times a year, usually streets are plowed within a couple days but I do get to drive early before plows come out for work every now and then..

Will the Goodyears be good enough? I don't plan to do major off-roading, etc. but might do light trails at some point. Or should I skip them and go Wildpeaks?

69BroncoX302

First Edition
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 U15, 2021 First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

The tires are Goodyear wranglers and I have the same ones on my 3500. Work fine in snow, even towing, granted, you have to known how to drive in the snow. If you have zero experience or just some experience in snow, just donā€™t go into traffic unless you area fully are aware on how your vehicle will react i the situation. I used to run summer nittos on my STi. My wifeā€™s truck with A/T tired was horribly worse. Greatest quote, ā€œfour wheel drive does not mean four wheel stopā€ šŸ˜‚

Just put it into the slippery goat and drive slow, you will be alright. The tires are also sipped so that is good, almost a A/T really, justā€¦..big lol šŸ˜†

Iceā€¦.. now that is a whole new beast, have you practiced drifting before?! If not, then well, a tire isnā€™t going to save you unless itā€™s studded/chained.

Worst case, you can crawl everywhere šŸ˜