Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Eyeballing it, it seems like Jeep's front swaybar (connected) has more torsional rigidity than the Bronco's. And disconnecting Jeep's front swaybar has a much bigger difference on travel than disconnecting the Bronco's... that much is very clear, especially with the Sasquatch package. The ability to disconnect the Sta-Bar under load seems like a parlor trick to hide the fact that it's not adding that much travel. After seeing this I'd personally lean more towards manual disconnects or a Currie Antirock (when available) as opposed to the cost, additional mechanical complexity, and lower clearance of the Sta-bar system.
Sponsored

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Eyeballing it, it seems like Jeep's front swaybar (connected) has more torsional rigidity than the Bronco's. And disconnecting Jeep's front swaybar has a much bigger difference on travel than disconnecting the Bronco's... that much is very clear, especially with the Sasquatch package. The ability to disconnect the Sta-Bar under load seems like a parlor trick to hide the fact that it's not adding that much travel. After seeing this I'd personally lean more towards manual disconnects or a Currie Antirock (when available) as opposed to the cost, additional mechanical complexity, and lower clearance of the Sta-bar system.
I can only speculate but I bet this has much more to do with the different front suspensions (solid front axle vs independent) than the way the sway bar disconnects. It would be interesting to see tests comparing a Badlands with Sasquatch to a Black Diamond with Sasquatch and manual disconnect.

As far as the parlor trick comment, would you rather push a button before an obstacle or get on your back in dirt, rocks and mud? I know which I’d prefer but maybe that’s my age.

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

RTI numbers are kinda like chassis dyno numbers. They're interesting to have but unless you're comparing back to back on the same piece of equipment comparisons between results are really just for reference only.

Sponsored

BroncoRick

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
As far as the parlor trick comment, would you rather push a button before an obstacle or get on your back in dirt, rocks and mud? I know which I’d prefer but maybe that’s my age.
I'd rather disconnect before the obstacle or the trail itself. It's a cool demo to disconnect mid-obstacle, and the tech is definitely impressive, but I'd personally never do it that way. Maybe just me.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I want to know where one can acquire that ramp. I want to park my mythical Bronco on it in my drive way each and every day.

RubyRedGT

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco. Sold the 1968 and 2015 mustang GTs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m pretty sure you’re supposed to air down the tires to where you would be for off-roading … e.g. 12-14 psi for example. That gives better RTI score and is more representative of intended (off-road) use.

TXNavy

Badlands
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Yukon XLT 1500 4x4, Jeep Liberty Limited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So what I see with the Sta-Bar disconnect that I don't think gets much attention is the way the tires maintain a better contact patch with the ground. I know that airing down will help with that but many times when showing articulation I see the lower wheel on a Jeep riding on just the edge of the wheel whereas the Bronco has at least a third if not half of the width of the tire on the ground. The flex is cool and being out with my Father and BIL in their Jeeps I am usually the one taking pics of all that articulation but many times they are losing traction even if all 4 wheels are touching.

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Excellent video. Thank you! Wondering how this makes people feel about BL with SAS vs not 🤔
I'm a non-sas BL and it makes me feel entirely indifferent. Perhaps as a 2-door, 2.3/MT is my order, Sasquatch is effectively only a difference of tires, so nearly all comparisons between BL SAS/NON-SAS are irrelevant*.

*doubly so as the stock SAS tires aren't exactly that great, you're going to be swapping SAS tires if you really get out there anyway.

I want to know where one can acquire that ramp. I want to park my mythical Bronco on it in my drive way each and every day.
Also note you have to plant that ramp as close to your garage door as possible. Extra danger factor!!!! :love:

jay-rod427

Badlands
First Name
Jerod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Carbonized gray 2 dr BadLands Sans-Squatch ordered
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So what I see with the Sta-Bar disconnect that I don't think gets much attention is the way the tires maintain a better contact patch with the ground. I know that airing down will help with that but many times when showing articulation I see the lower wheel on a Jeep riding on just the edge of the wheel whereas the Bronco has at least a third if not half of the width of the tire on the ground. The flex is cool and being out with my Father and BIL in their Jeeps I am usually the one taking pics of all that articulation but many times they are losing traction even if all 4 wheels are touching.
Thank Independent Front Suspension for that.

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you went to Off-rodeo you’d know it’s not a parlor trick. It’s really impressive unlocking it on three wheels on a trail in the real world.
Disconnecting the front swaybar while bound up is most definitely a parlour trick. It is used to demonstrate the difference between connected and disconnected. When you go out on a trail you're going to disconnect the swaybar before you start, unless you actually have no idea what you are doing.

TXNavy

Badlands
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm pretty sure he made it. Checkout his other videos in the RTI testing.

TXNavy

Badlands
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Disconnecting the front swaybar while bound up is most definitely a parlour trick. It is used to demonstrate the difference between connected and disconnected. When you go out on a trail you're going to disconnect the swaybar before you start, unless you actually have no idea what you are doing.
I can see where you are coming from as many of us even are not maximizing the features of the Bronco (or Jeep Rubicon). And I mean in the way that taking a stock bronco and running the KOH or other Ultra4 type events where there are both rock crawling and fast driving. But where the magic comes is not just disconnecting under load but also reconnecting when you go above a specific speed getting between obstacles and then disconnecting again without you having to do anything else. Again I will grant that there are few places that any of us will be able to experience that but if it's there why not use it.
Sponsored