Sponsored

Sasquatch - Will you upgrade the brakes?

Magical_Savior

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triumph Bobber Black, Honda CB1100EX
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Something tells me with 35's, the 270lbs of rubber and 92lbs of aluminum (estimated) might be a bit tough to bring from 60 to 0 mpg on a 4500+ lb vehicle. The stock 32's weigh at least 90lbs less, tire and rim. Think you'll swap to new brakes or pads?

Edit - So far, the answer seems to be "no."

Background - This will be the first vehicle with four wheels I actually want, and I've only bought a car for actual driving at the age of 29... At which point I trashed 6 tires in one year against curbs, having only had motorcycles until then. Cars and trucks still feel ridiculously slow and handle like barges to me. None of them stop and go the way I would like, but better brakes helped a lot for me.
Sponsored

Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm reasonably certain, about the time Ford gets all the reservation Broncos built, the NHTSA is going to ban all Broncos from the roads and highways because they could not get something as simple as braking right for a 4500 lb vehicle on 35's with 17" rims...... and ....OH MY GOD....the new Tremors on 35's....those are going to be fucking death traps! .....and The Lariats with the 20" wheel option that gives them 34.3" tires ....on a 9000lb truck.
It's going to be chaos out there.....I hope I can stay on Covid lockdown until all of this blows over.....and Ford learns how to do brakes.

OP
OP
Magical_Savior

Magical_Savior

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm reasonably certain, about the time Ford gets all the reservation Broncos built, the NHTSA is going to ban all Broncos from the roads and highways because they could not get something as simple as braking right for a 4500 lb vehicle on 35's with 17" rims...... and ....OH MY GOD....the new Tremors on 35's....those are going to be fucking death traps! .....and The Lariats with the 20" wheel option that gives them 34.3" tires ....on a 9000lb truck.
It's going to be chaos out there.....I hope I can stay on Covid lockdown until all of this blows over.....and Ford learns how to do brakes.
So... No, for you. I was a lot happier with an aftermarket set of pads towing just 800lbs of motorcycle and trailer in my current vehicle; "good enough" wasn't good enough for me.

Catmandu

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep JKU (Officially Sold), 2015 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Something tells me with 35's, the 270lbs of rubber and 92lbs of aluminum (estimated) might be a bit tough to bring from 60 to 0 mpg on a 4500+ lb vehicle. The stock 32's weigh at least 90lbs less, tire and rim. Think you'll swap to new brakes or pads?
While I do think it is great to think ahead, this may be a bit premature. Since this will be a factory option we may be in really good shape for some decent braking. I had been rocking out stock brakes with 35’s on the Jeep without issue for over 7 years....so at this point I can’t say that a brake upgrade is on the top of my list.

Sponsored

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I just looked through all of the launch pictures (forget which thread) and there doesn't seem to be much room left inside the room for bigger calipers/disks/anything.

Zero_chance

Badlands
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.southvalleymustang.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wouldn’t be high on my list initially but I would probably consider it down the road if they come out with a special edition Bronco that has a Brembo option or something similar. Pretty sure the factory setup will be up to the task though.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Probably not the calipers or rotors, but maybe stainless steel brake lines as I plan on a lot of temp & humidity changes driving to and from trails.

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Love how simple the pads are to change on my Brembos. Would definitely go with them if it were an option. But it wouldn't be my first upgrade to the Bronco unless the factory brakes were just horribly soft. The Rubicon does get bigger brakes on the Wranglers IIRC.

OP
OP
Magical_Savior

Magical_Savior

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Probably not the calipers or rotors, but maybe stainless steel brake lines as I plan on a lot of temp & humidity changes driving to and from trails.
Stainless steel brakelines are a favorite mod to my bikes. ... I mod the hell out of my bikes, tho.

Sponsored

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Stainless steel brakelines are a favorite mod to my bikes. ... I mod the hell out of my bikes, tho.
Mine too and it's because I've had brakes get "soft" over a long ride through different climates.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So, every trim level can come with 35s and you don’t think the engineers factored that in when doing the brakes? Well, maybe.

OP
OP
Magical_Savior

Magical_Savior

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So, every trim level can come with 35s and you don’t think the engineers factored that in when doing the brakes? Well, maybe.
Oh, I did. But I asked what YOU were going to do.
Edit - And, yes. Think about it for a minute. The engineers and bean counters took those brakes, said, "Okay, we'll put them on 960,000 vehicles per year. We'll make them good enough that 95% of people won't complain and preferably no one dies." They give you "good enough."
But performance brakes are expensive, and we won't get them stock. I like good brakes, and not just "good enough." So I'll think hard about switching.

Last edited:

Straight 6

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Without different brakes. Sasquatch bronco's will take more feet to brake from 60-0 or 70-0 than a bronco with smaller tires

Will it be drastic? Probably not but it will certainly be real and measurable

zaki

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lexus LS 500;'94 Acura NSX;'13 Landcruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Doubtless Ford knows many buyers will opt for the Sasquatch package and it’s not a surprise therefore they made it available on all trim levels. I am therefore certain that the brakes are already more than capable of handling the heavier wheel-Tire package.

Also, a 4500 lb vehicle that is capable of going up and down steep trails needs very capable brakes for obvious reasons.
Sponsored