Sponsored

satellite GPS trackers and communicators - best one(s)?

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm looking at various GPS/sat communicators with maps and all that, wondering what people here use and like? Most will probably have one or the other Garmin device, though there are some others as well, some seem to rely on your cellphone to be the actual screen and keyboard, interesting, but one more failure point IMO. Drop the phone and you're out of luck. I think Garmin devices are a bit more rugged?

I want something with a screen and maps, just in case I slip and fall on my phone, better to have two devices and I want to be able to send a text here and there and have the SOS option in case I get stranded somewhere. I'll be out and about taking photos by myself often (as that gets boring quickly for anybody not taking photos) and want to be on the safe side, Bronco electronics freaking out and bricking the rig or getting stuck or braking a leg are not very likely to happen to me, but better safe than sorry.

The variety of options just with Garmin alone is a bit confusing, is there one model that's somewhat "standard" amongst outdoor explorers? Don't really care about cost, if a bit more gives really good additional options I'm game.
Sponsored

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

A Garmin Inreach will do everything you want. I have friends that use them offshore where the signal drops at 10-12 miles for texting.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have the Garmin Inreach when heading out off the grid and emergency purposes. Even with a cell booster and 2 network options (Verizon & T-Mobile), the Inreach has come in handy. I also download all my gaia maps before hand on my ipad mini that I use for navigation off the beaten path.

deznut

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frontier
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

motorcycle nut here...I use a "Spot" ....both on and off road...device is not costly ($100?), but they get you with a yearly subscription( $175+? based on emergency support you may want)...you can share your tracks with friends via computer ( password protected) ...it's been around awhile and popular with the long distance motorcycle riders.... if you choose to purchase a unit , suggest you get the latest version ( Gen4?) ...older versions show up on ebay, but don't have the latest tech...mounts are available from RAM mounts...hth

https://www.findmespot.com/en-us/

SDC15038.JPG

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I would go Garmin Inreach and pick the appropriate subscription based on potential usage.

Sponsored

DeltaBravo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Delta
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MIKES MOM
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How do I remove all this crap from my badlands

PowPow

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
sorry, but your post reminded me of a funny story...

my dad had a GPS tracker back in the day. Like late 90's early 2000's. So well before cell phones. He loved to fish (deep sea) so would use the waypoints to mark wrecks, hot spots, etc...

Unfortunately my dad passed away in '01. Anyway, I was driving down to OBX that following spring or summer and I took my dad's GPS figuring he had some good fishing spots marked down there. (he use to go fishing down there a bunch)

Well I'm driving down the highway and all of a sudden the thing starts beeping and going off. And I'm like wth... turns out he marked a Dunkin Donuts off the highway. :LOL: He also loved their coffee.

anyway. your post reminded me of that. I unfortunately do not have any experience with any GPS devices... but good luck finding what you need!

I think I may still have that device laying around somewhere... but I'm pretty sure it's pretty dated at this point. ;) BUT, those hot fishing coordinates are probably still good spots to go.

Hopeless Diamond

Badlands
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350/2dr Rubicon/'96 4R/'75 Intl D150/'22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
InReach all the way for me. Have used it from the Arctic Ocean @ Tuktoyaktuk to the tip of Baja CA and felt safe knowing I could communicate with anyone in case of problems. Like any satellite system, deep valleys may cause shadows, but not much you can do about that.
Ford Bronco satellite GPS trackers and communicators - best one(s)? Capture inreach.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daktari

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

great info, thanks guys! And that's a funny story!

Some more reading to do, but all this is great help.

Sponsored

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have had a Garmin Inreach for 4 years. Every time we go offroad I turn it on (activate it). Haven't had to use it but every time I test it it works except for once. We were driving a trail between two tall rock walls and the signal couldn't get out but that was to be expected

Raskew

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco, 2018 Stinger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have had a Garmin Inreach for 4 years. Every time we go offroad I turn it on (activate it). Haven't had to use it but every time I test it it works except for once. We were driving a trail between two tall rock walls and the signal couldn't get out but that was to be expected
so just so I understand you correctly. You can activate it (pay the monthly subscription) just before you go out and then deactivate when you get back if you’re not going to use it for a while?

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

so just so I understand you correctly. You can activate it (pay the monthly subscription) just before you go out and then deactivate when you get back if you’re not going to use it for a while?
That is correct. There is an annual fee and then for the months that you want to use it an additional charge. Freedom plan is $34.95 and then 14.95 in the months you turn it on. I suspend it during the months I am not fourwheeling
https://discover.garmin.com/en-US/inreach/personal/#subscriptions

acruxksa

Wildtrak
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84' Jeep CJ10A, 19' Ram 1500 Classic, 16' Audi S6
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I used an inreach for three years. Recently switched to zoleo simply because they give you a permanent sms number and email address. Means people no longer have to reply to my texts or emails. They can just use my permanent number.

Pricing is comparable, with the zoleo base plan slightly higher, but their unlimited plan is slightly lower.

Just throwing a different option out there.
Sponsored