Sponsored

Sayonara! Sold my Bronco and bought a Crosstrek.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I see your point, if I had a commute, especially a long one with freeway, I'd never have looked at the Bronco. I'd be all about luxury and quiet and good gas mileage or full electric.
I'd also never have looked at the Bronco if it only came with two doors, completely useless vehicle for me. I also live far from any trails or off road areas, so a weekend toy like this is useless for me.
Everyone's needs are different, good thing there are options :)
Sponsored

Cable Guy

Badlands
First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi RS7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Whoā€™d have thought a 2-door cube without a flat load surface wouldnā€™t be good for hauling and have below average mileage? šŸ˜‰. Live and learn. Enjoy your Subaru. Sounds like a better fit for your needs.

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 F150,02 Excursion,06 Chrysler 300C,21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'll admit, if I only had one vehicle (the thought gives me terrible anxiety) the Bronco wouldn't exactly fit my needs. Including the Bronco I have 5 vehicles that all tickle my fancy in different ways and serve different purposes. Now I do still daily drive all of them. My Sasquatch Bronco is the fuel saver of all of them by a long shot! Everything else is a V8 or V10 in the driveway.

telenerd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a crosstrek. Great mpg. My gripes is not all that great in the snow, due to how light it is and the cvt only spins one tire if you get stuck. Subaru is gutless at my elevation 7200feet. Mechanical issues I had a bad wheel bearing and transmission problems all replaced under warranty. The engine also consumes a bit of oil and have monitor it. Other then that itā€™s been a good car.

Just my 2 cents, I would have a Bronco sport over any Subaru.

Leland

Raptor
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wildtrak, Mustang MachE GT, Raptor, Subaru (2)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Subarus are great vehicles, I have two (2) Foresters primarily for the kids but still like running around in them. I also have a 4 door Wildtrak which I love more and more every day,

Sponsored

EveryDayBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorcycle
Your Bronco Model
Base
Iā€™m not trolling and will probably get roasted for this, but I could take my 2 door Basesquatch as a daily driver for only 4 months.

Main issues for me were the inability to fold the rears seats flat for cargo, the sketchiness of the load factor for roof cargo and the dismal gas mileage ā€“ for some reason my mpg seemed to decline and I got only 17mpg (275 miles) on my last highway trip. The lack of a 2nd set of doors also proved to be much more of a headache than I anticipated.

Granted, I knew about these potential issues going in, but was also hoping I could make it work for daily driving, but for me it just didnā€™t. So I sold it for what I paid for it, and bought a Crosstrek which has rear seats that fold flat, a bomb proof roof rack and gets 550 highway miles on a tankful. But unlike the Bronco which I think is the best-looking vehicle on the road, a Crosstrek looks like millions of other cars on the road ā€¦ no one is ever going to come up to you at a gas station and say ā€œ nice looking car you got thereā€. So in a way I went from Ginger to Mary Ann.

Donā€™t get me wrong, I think the Bronco is a GREAT car ā€¦ you just need to be realistic if it's going to be a great car for your specific needs.

Both my wife and I have crosstreks, they are excellent vehicles and I think most people would be pleased with them.

I think you're error was in choosing the sasquatch package instead of just the plain base model, especially for fuel economy.

I ordered a base 2 door (should be build next week) and got a set of big bend takeoffs for a less than the cost of two new tires. I believe the 32" big bend tires & wheels will get the best fuel economy and still look appropriate, to my eye at least.

Regarding the Crosstrek, I will miss mine. It's been my favorite vehicle that I've owned to date. I'm in my 50's and owned a fair amount and variety from sports cars, crew cab trucks to an original FJ40.

A similarity between the crosstrek and 2 door bronco, both are nearly the same length, within an inch. One of the things I like about the crosstrek is fitting in to the tightest parking spots in dense cities. San Diego, LA, SF, parking is not an issue for the crosstrek. That's something I'm not willing to give up, easy to park downtown and the 2 door bronco meets that.

The rear cargo area of the 2 door is not as deep as in the crosstrek, shorter by 4ish inches. The cargo volume is about the same just configured differently. Just need to position things differently.

My kids are close to leaving the nest so the back seats are not that important to me and my future plan is the remove them to free up the entire rear for adventure gear.

The downside of the crosstrek is the cvt transmissions off road limitations. On road it's perfectly smooth and shifting is seamless, it will spoil you with how smooth it is. But off road it will limit the incline you'll be allowed to take. For most people this isn't an issue but it is something I noticed. The crosstrek is available with manual transmission and I don't know if it has the same limitation as the cvt transmission when it come to hill climbing. I test drove a manual crosstrek last spring and it was fun and I always wished I chose that over the cvt but I was considering my wife when I bought it. With the Bronco she will have to learn to drive manual! :)

Good luck with you crosstrek, I hope you like it!

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Was at Car Max getting a buy offer on my Expy last weekend. Wandered the lot while waiting and checked out a Cross Trek

I really though I would like it, but it was super cramped, and my head actually touched the roof. So, I crossed it off my list of acceptable "plan B" vehicles.

If it works for you, it works for you though.

I liked the Forrester better, but the stick was in a weird location. Probably just put it in the same location as the auto shift lever without thinking about the ergonomics.

Honestly, if Subaru still built the Baja, with a stick, I'd have bought one years ago.

Main reason I ordered a non-sas (besides the 6k price) was I really didn't see a sasquatched Bronco as a great commuter vehicle, and I don't need Sas for Forrest Service roads and farm fields.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
The downside of the crosstrek is the cvt transmissions off road limitations. On road it's perfectly smooth and shifting is seamless, it will spoil you with how smooth it is.
The upside to the Crosstrek is you can still get one with a stick shift, and don't have to put up with the CVT. ;)

Bronco_Skillz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I wish people would quit saying "car" when talking about the Bronco. It's not a car. And as far as gas mileage goes like I've pointed out many times it's most likely your driving that's the problem. There are Broncos out there getting 20+ real world mpg.
Curious, what makes a Bronco a truck vs a car? Is it an SUV?

BFizzy

Big Bend
First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I canā€™t imagine cross-shopping a crosstrek with a Sasquatch, but I came from a GTI which makes even less sense. I guess theyā€™re all available with manuals, but Iā€™ve always heard that the crosstrek powerband kills the drivers soul.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rusty Sheckelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I wish people would quit saying "car" when talking about the Bronco. It's not a car. And as far as gas mileage goes like I've pointed out many times it's most likely your driving that's the problem. There are Broncos out there getting 20+ real world mpg.
I'm not gonna lie, I'm guilty of this sin. I always cringe and internally correct myself when I do, but I keep doing it.

One day I'll stop.

EveryDayBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorcycle
Your Bronco Model
Base
Was at Car Max getting a buy offer on my Expy last weekend. Wandered the lot while waiting and checked out a Cross Trek

I really though I would like it, but it was super cramped, and my head actually touched the roof. So, I crossed it off my list of acceptable "plan B" vehicles.

If it works for you, it works for you though.

I liked the Forrester better, but the stick was in a weird location. Probably just put it in the same location as the auto shift lever without thinking about the ergonomics.

Honestly, if Subaru still built the Baja, with a stick, I'd have bought one years ago.

Main reason I ordered a non-sas (besides the 6k price) was I really didn't see a sasquatched Bronco as a great commuter vehicle, and I don't need Sas for Forrest Service roads and farm fields.
I'm 6'2", someone must have cranked the seat height up, lower the seat!

It's one of the most comfortable seats I've experienced. Looong road trips no cramping issues. My last full size crew cab was big inside but my right knee would start cramping up after 2 hours and didn't matter how I adjusted the seat.

Nw_adventure

Big Bend
First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Living in Colorado I grew a distain for Subaruā€™s simply because of all the Outback owners that thought they could drive anywhere even in a blizzard. Well all that matters is you are happy with your ride. Question though, Iā€™ve heard that Subaruā€™s come with a girlfriend for your girlfriend, any truth in that, haha. Kidding. Enjoy the new ride.
Folks in the PNW cant stand all the Prius left lane bandits doing 58 MPG- Here in Utah, Subaru's are by far the most annoying (Minus the diesel lifted monster truck ass/hats), slow, distracted, don't use turn signals- They do well in moderate snow just never get behind one of them. :)

Donkeygyrl

Base
First Name
Sheri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco on order
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Enjoy your decision the newness of the bronco attracted a bunch of people that were never going to understand or embrace it.
From Mary Ann to lovey.

ILoveTacos

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Tough decision but I get it. I've toyed with selling my Outback but ultimately decided to keep it as my car for long commute days (1 hour each way) and use the Bronco for my shorter commute days which are mainly country roads, fun family trips and weekends. They both serve a purpose.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.