Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR, 18 Cadillac XT5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

just wondering does this mean you are doing your first oil change at 7500 miles?
Good question! Since I do not have my truck I haven't had to actually really think about it.

I plan to break in the truck and do my oil changes as recommended by Ford in the manual.

To this point I have not seen an "expert" prove that Ford is incorrect, through oil analysis or some other testing process that makes sense to me. That being said, if the first oil change is done early it doesn't hurt anything and one could argue it is preventative. I have heard tell of additives in the factory oil that you don't want to remove by changing factory oil early. From what I have read from searching their are no additives in the factory oil.

The Edmunds article I put up (to me) is more about doing the oil changes early / every 3000 rather than the higher number manufacturers have in their manual. I do my own changing oil in two 06 Range Rovers every 7500 like the manual recommends. I bought one with 40k miles and the other with 113k and both are over 200k now - running perfectly..

I plan on buying extended warranty because I think some other failure, not oil related, is more than likely to be an issue no matter when you do your oil changes, assuming you change oil at least as recommended by Ford.
Sponsored

Clearwater native

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19F-59,16-E350, 65C10,05TJ, 67RSCamaro, 65malibuSS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good question! Since I do not have my truck I haven't had to actually really think about it.

I plan to break in the truck and do my oil changes as recommended by Ford in the manual.

To this point I have not seen an "expert" prove that Ford is incorrect, through oil analysis or some other testing process that makes sense to me. That being said, if the first oil change is done early it doesn't hurt anything and one could argue it is preventative. I have heard tell of additives in the factory oil that you don't want to remove by changing factory oil early. From what I have read from searching their are no additives in the factory oil.

The Edmunds article I put up (to me) is more about doing the oil changes early / every 3000 rather than the higher number manufacturers have in their manual. I do my own changing oil in two 06 Range Rovers every 7500 like the manual recommends. I bought one with 40k miles and the other with 113k and both are over 200k now - running perfectly..

I'm plan on buying extended warranty because I think more than likely some other failure, not oil related, is more than likely to be an issue no matter when you do your oil changes, assuming you change oil at least as recommended by Ford.
Ok well the Edmunds article is from 2013 and obviously we these days we do not dump oil in the backyard anymore most of us recycle oil, and in any vehicle I have owned with or with-out synthetic oil I choose to change it every 5000 miles so if you think old oil is better in your Bronco good luck and all I asked about Like the Thread is about do you plan on waiting till 7500miles to do your first oil change remember it's a twin turbo Ford 2.7 not a Range Rover funny I am going to Buy oil right now for my Bronco 2500 mile and for my 2019 F-59 20,000 mile change.

jd-ford-hd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘16 Explorer, ‘13 F150, ‘99 F350, '74 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I called my dealer today, a Larger one who has delivered many Broncos, to schedule a 1500 mile oil change before I take it to the snow in Tahoe and the Sierras for the holidays. He said let it ride til 7500, that's what Ford recommends, and my Ford Pass seems to agree. I'm having him look into it more for me, but what are your thoughts on this? I know many here have done it. But is it needed? Or out of utmost caution?
Let it ride.! The engine belongs to Ford until 36 or 36 or their extended.!

OP
OP
Roll Sound

Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wildtrack 2DR MIC OW, 2014 KTM RC8R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
considering if you change your oil yourself :

7-qts of synthetic blend and filter will cost you about $59.00 plus tax and
7-qts of full synthetic with filter is about $65. plus tax (depending on which oil you use)

I think those prices are ok!
Me too! The hard part for me is the drive to the valley. Haha!

Sponsored

Bronco cat

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Explorer ST, ‘19 GT350, ‘21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I love all my peeps but 1. Modern vehicles don’t have “break in” oil. 2. There may be some lubricant additives that enter the oil as part of the assembly process 3. Modern engines are assembled with very high tolerance that weren’t attainable back in the day when things weren’t made with computer aid. 4. I would use the 5k as a good interval that way you can rotate the tires as well and you are well within the change range.

Ford wouldn’t have the change interval that high if there were any chance it would damage the motor. They don’t want to pay for warranty work and finally modern oil, even cheap oil is leagues ahead of what our dads and grandparents used.

FlyingScot

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
considering if you change your oil yourself :

7-qts of synthetic blend and filter will cost you about $59.00 plus tax and
7-qts of full synthetic with filter is about $65. plus tax (depending on which oil you use)

I think those prices are ok!
Wat? Unless you have some exotic brand preference, a 5 quart jug of full synthetic is $20-25 at Walmart and Amazon. The filter cartridge is ~$9 if you want a Motorcraft. Going with my perennial favorite Castrol Edge, that's $40.10 for 7 quarts and a filter.
Sponsored