Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Base Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Screen works perfectly fine, but once I hit the car play button on the screen it goes black. Volume still shows on the screen while black if I adjust it and I’ve tried multiple restarting it but nothing changes. Anyone have a similar issue or a possible fix?
(8inch screen)
Update
Reset my phone a few times and that was all it took. Thank god
Sponsored

Last edited:

tractorcrusher

Black Diamond
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have the same screen. My screen goes black every once in a while. Sometimes after a while it reboots and comes back up. Sometimes I have to pull over, turn the vehicle off, open a door (so the bronco animation plays), and then turn it back on and I have a screen again. Super annoying when I'm using navigation in an unfamiliar area, sometimes I have to pull off the highway.

Also my carplay only works hardwired now, wireless carplay never connects (suspect this is a bluetooth issue). Wireless carplay worked great for the first month, then completely stopped. My 2011 Taurus SHO had similar issues with bluetooth as well.

Dreading making a service call for this but I feel like it's inevitable.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Screen works perfectly fine, but once I hit the car play button on the screen it goes black. Volume still shows on the screen while black if I adjust it and I’ve tried multiple restarting it but nothing changes. Anyone have a similar issue or a possible fix?
(8inch screen)
Press the volume button and the fast forward button simultaneously and hold for several seconds to reset the screen.

tractorcrusher

Black Diamond
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Press the volume button and the fast forward button simultaneously and hold for several seconds to reset the screen.
Which volume button? The power button? If this works my mind is going to be blown.

Sponsored

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Which volume button? The power button? If this works my mind is going to be blown.
Yes, the power button inside the volume ring on the left side of the radio. IIRC, you have to hold them down simultaneously for 5 seconds? That often works as a soft reboot if the system freezes while the screen is on.

If that doesn’t work, @flip’s solution is the next step (similar to a hard re-boot).

Last edited:

ejaffe

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi TT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I find the whole Sync system is very glitchy. I am hoping Ford pushes out a software update to deal with the issues. CarPlay is one of them. I also lose XM radio stations, telephone capabilities, turn by turn audio, etc.

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did you restart your phone as well? I would toggle wireless app projection off, reboot the phone, then toggle it back on.

OP
OP
DillyCrack

DillyCrack

Base
First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Base Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have the same screen. My screen goes black every once in a while. Sometimes after a while it reboots and comes back up. Sometimes I have to pull over, turn the vehicle off, open a door (so the bronco animation plays), and then turn it back on and I have a screen again. Super annoying when I'm using navigation in an unfamiliar area, sometimes I have to pull off the highway.

Also my carplay only works hardwired now, wireless carplay never connects (suspect this is a bluetooth issue). Wireless carplay worked great for the first month, then completely stopped. My 2011 Taurus SHO had similar issues with bluetooth as well.

I’ve tried all that. Haven’t tried using it hardwired but I’m in the same boat 😪

OP
OP
DillyCrack

DillyCrack

Base
First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Base Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yes, the power button inside the volume ring on the left side of the radio. IIRC, you have to hold them down simultaneously for 5 seconds? That often works as a soft reboot if the system freezes while the screen is on.

If that doesn’t work, @flip’s solution is the next step (similar to a hard re-boot).
That was the first thing I tried. I’ll be disconnecting the battery after work and see if that does anything.

Sponsored
OP
OP
DillyCrack

DillyCrack

Base
First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Base Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Did you restart your phone as well? I would toggle wireless app projection off, reboot the phone, then toggle it back on.
I did but I will try it toggling wireless app projection off as well. Thanks!

f18f_guy

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Wireless car play works over WiFi. Is your phone WiFi on?

f18f_guy

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
(8inch screen)
I had this problem yesterday. Two guys in my office had the same issue with their car play set ups — neither have Fords. Then I noticed when I hit Apple Music on my phone, it wouldn’t pull up. Related? Dunno. But all good today after rebooting my phone. iOS update? IDK.

OP
OP
DillyCrack

DillyCrack

Base
First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Base Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hopefully it’s that simple for me! Thanks!

BDSQACH

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ranger... Civic Type R
Your Bronco Model
Base
In my Ranger this problem happened much less (if not ever) once I :
Waited for the truck to start up then plugged in my phone. If I say auto started the truck, jumped in, plugged in my phone then put the key in to start the screen would go black.
You can also pull the fuse to reset before you pull the battery option.
Sponsored