Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was just as confused as you, as they reimbursed the original $100 used to place a hold for a spot on the Ford website, not the $1k to the dealer when we submitted the order.
Gosch Ford in Escondido and Kearney Mesa Ford have not been playing such games.
Sponsored

OP
OP
castassoc

castassoc

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi Q7
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
No, will likely hold on to the Rubicon a little longer.

Djveks22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ouch. Reminds me of when we bought our FJ Cruiser when they first came back out (since discontinued). We live in Texas and every dealer in the Southeast zone did similar crap. Installed paint protection, pin stripe, etc and marked them way up. Via a forum we found a dealer in Minnesota that was selling at MSRP and my wife flew up there and drove it back and we saved a few thousand dollars even after the cost of the plane ticket. It was like they all were in it together in that zone. I guess Toyota was fine with it. Was a great ride until the engine blew in the middle of nowhere in New Mexico on a trip to Colorado.
did your fj explode due to timing belt or chain ?

Sponsored

Herbie

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Neps

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MX-5, Focus EV, F150, F350, Scout II (2)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well that sucks!

Seems like most dealers in the San Diego area are adding this junk.

Even a dealer that has treated many locals well (Kearny Mesa) has refused to provide any guarantee in writing that they will not add dealer installed alarms, tracking, and other dealer installed markup items.

Taltyman

Raptor
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler Rubicon, Ford F350, Braptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

The dealer in Trinidad we towed it to could not find a cause. They suspected loss of oil pressure but could not determine why. They found an engine from a wrecked FJ to replace mine and it lasted another 50k miles or so before another issue where apparently water/antifreeze was getting into the intake and so I had that fixed and sold it as I decided that we could no longer rely on that engine to go from Texas to Colorado twice a year. We have a second home there in Ouray and off-road there. Others on the FJ forums did not have similar issues. Or current ride is a 2016 Rubi with almost 150k miles and it has not been error free either but we do have a lifetime Mopar warranty. It has had the oil cooler replaced, all the valves and cam shafts.

Djveks22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Base
The dealer in Trinidad we towed it to could not find a cause. They suspected loss of oil pressure but could not determine why. They found an engine from a wrecked FJ to replace mine and it lasted another 50k miles or so before another issue where apparently water/antifreeze was getting into the intake and so I had that fixed and sold it as I decided that we could no longer rely on that engine to go from Texas to Colorado twice a year. We have a second home there in Ouray and off-road there. Others on the FJ forums did not have similar issues. Or current ride is a 2016 Rubi with almost 150k miles and it has not been error free either but we do have a lifetime Mopar warranty. It has had the oil cooler replaced, all the valves and cam shafts.
I see. I was thinking of getting the 4runner as it is the last non cvt, non turbo body on frame. If my bronco donā€™t show up ā€¦

UtahLars

First Edition
First Name
Laurent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Ford Bronco First Edition. ā€˜21 Audi RS6 Avan
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Showed up at Chula Vista Ford this morning to pick up my long-awaited Bronco, only to be received by the Sales and General Manager telling me that my now $46K MSRP was listed at $59.5 due to their added dealer markup and "accessories" which included a car alarm/theft deterrent, nitro in the tires, some code security etching in the window, etc. items that according to them go on EVERY vehicle they sell. Can't believe that after placing the order and a deposit on January 7, 2021, they had the gall to pull this one.

They said that they were doing me a "favor" by giving me a special price since these trucks are going for $15k over. After having to control myself with the belligerent Sales Manager, I walked out of the worst experience of customer service anyone could ever have. They indicated that the dealership was under new ownership and they had no previous letter or documentation that the vehicle was to be sold at MSRP, even though I had a copy of the order/spec sheet and a credit card voucher from the deposit. If Ford is allowing dealers to pull off things under their noses, it says a lot about their brand.

Yeah, the car game in California sucks. It's not great anywhere, but its particularly bad there. You just have to be willing to walk out if you don't get what you want. I went through this on my first attempt to buy a Gladiator, back when they were a bit of a hot item (though never the phenom of the Bronco). In my case it wasn't price (although they did try to sell me a lot of ridiculous stuff like alarm systems, etching etc), but rather contract terms: I won't sign an agreement with an arbitration clause in it. I got of legal advice from non-lawyers ("this is just the form California law requires" "California law requires that the parties agree to arbitration"), all of which was nonsense. I walked out over that and it never really bothered me a bit. that's really the only defense you have.

Sponsored

airishfan

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Gosch Ford in Escondido and Kearney Mesa Ford have not been playing such games.
Place my order with KM even that I live in vegas because they we accept the Ford X plan last I was told there still 33 people with earlier reservation then me

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Terrible, I so hate when I see this. Just pure Greed. OK let them be greedy on any dealer stock but NOT for special orders.

I went in months before my Bronco was going to be delivered and asked if there was going to be a mark up. They stated no BUT also stated something similar to your dealer- window tint, gift certificate for accessories, nitro in tires, etc. etc. It end up being $2500 for pretty much window tint but I ate it. If it had been anymore than this I would have walked away. Even he 2500 had me thinking about it.

ā€˜21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Wow! Thatā€™s one of the worse ones Iā€™ve heard! Seems like they returned your $100 so they wouldnā€™t be bound by the reservation rules. At my dealer I didnā€™t even let them wash it when we bought my wifeā€™s, they asked about the usual if I want the paint fabric protection yada, Yada but had no problem when I said no. As much as my wife lives her bronco Iā€™d have had to walk if they charged like your stating.

Evolkidbell

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Bronco, 2013 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wow! Thatā€™s one of the worse ones Iā€™ve heard! Seems like they returned your $100 so they wouldnā€™t be bound by the reservation rules. At my dealer I didnā€™t even let them wash it when we bought my wifeā€™s, they asked about the usual if I want the paint fabric protection yada, Yada but had no problem when I said no. As much as my wife lives her bronco Iā€™d have had to walk if they charged like your stating.
I've seen quite a few, even locally here in CO, that when the dealer changed ownership, to clean out the books, returned the $100 reservation deposit. Now, if the dealer did take the $1000 for a deposit at the time of order, then they likely agreed to pricing at that point.

Wish Ford would start doing something about this.
Shines light on shitty dealers, but ultimatley puts a black eye on Ford.

Taltyman

Raptor
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler Rubicon, Ford F350, Braptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I had it towed from the Clayton NM area to Trinidad and the dealer there could not find the reason. They think it lost oil pressure on the motor just ate itself. The found a replacement motor from a wrecked FJ with 6k miles on it and put that engine in it. The engine that blew had around 65k miles. Then the replacement engine also fubared. Went out one day, started it and white smoke billowed from the exhaust so I assume the head gasket went out. I had that fixed and traded it in as I could no longer trust it for off-roading. Toyota has a good reputation on their engines so not sure why both my engines failed at around 65k miles. Current vehicle is a rubi with a lifetime warranty that has paid for itself. A few months back the replaced all the lifters and cam shafts. Other things over it's life of 150k miles that were fixed were minor. No one offers lifetime anymore and that's what we really need as we put over 20-25k miles on ours every year. We go to Colorado twice a year and that adds the miles.
Sponsored