Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
As somebody who used the roof rack on my last vehicle constantly, I have been a little annoyed at the lack of simple, traditional, crossbar options on the market for the Bronco that also allow easy and complete convertible functionality with the hardtop. After weighing the many options, I finally stumbled across Seasucker's new "Ridge Ready" Monkey Bars on their website:

https://www.seasucker.com/products/ridge-ready-monkey-bars

This new "Ridge Ready" version has skinnier, oval-shaped, suction feet specifically designed to work with Wranglers, Broncos, and truck caps that have ridges on the roof and are not completely flat surfaces.

The beauty of these bars is that you can place them ANYWHERE along the roof and space them however you want. They also can be mounted and unmounted in a matter of seconds depending on what roof panels you want to rock on any given day... seemingly a modular roof rack that is a match made in heaven for the Bronco hardtop.

I just did an initial mount and am pretty impressed with the quality. Very high grade hardware and the bars are very heavy duty/substantial feeling. I bought the standard 48" bars which fit pretty perfectly along the top of the hard top, but you can also get 60" versions if you want some overhang. The 60" version adds 12" bar extensions that screw in between the 48" bars so you can actually buy them separate later if you want to.

I did have a little trouble getting the suction pump to work at first until I got the trick - basically you have to wrap your whole hand around the suction pad and press downward while pressing the suction button to get them to engage. Once they are in place, you can shake the whole bronco with your hand just like any other roof rack setup. They are definitely solid and the suction cups even have little bright orange warning indicators that show up when you need to give them a few pumps to fully re-engage the suction force.

The only initial negative I see is that the front bar with 4 suction cup feet sits about an inch higher than the rear bar due to the different mounting hardware on the two. Mine are spaced pretty close together at about 24" in the pic below so the angle of the cargo is pretty harsh (see blue level) but obviously the farther you space the bars out the less the 1" of height difference will affect the angle of your load. Not sure why the front bar can't just be the same design as the rear bar, but I'm sure Seasucker has their reasons as a result of R&D. Also, I wish the bars were an aero design instead of round to reduce wind noise. Obviously, the potential security factor is another negative, but Seasucker does sell a little lock that engages in the window channel if you want something that attempts to keep thieves honest... I will probably just take my chances or throw them in the trunk if I'm really worried about it.

I believe they are rated for 150-160 lbs which is more than many factory roof rack offerings - good for a couple bikes, kayaks, or cargo basket which is what I will be using them for. I have to haul some lumber this weekend so will update after I put them to use.

Ford Bronco Seasucker Ridge Ready Monkey Bars - Initial Fit/Review PXL_20221121_224923079

Ford Bronco Seasucker Ridge Ready Monkey Bars - Initial Fit/Review PXL_20221121_225030492.MP

Ford Bronco Seasucker Ridge Ready Monkey Bars - Initial Fit/Review PXL_20221121_224854335

Ford Bronco Seasucker Ridge Ready Monkey Bars - Initial Fit/Review PXL_20221121_225128028
Sponsored

Last edited:

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Very neat!

saltyairbrewer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Murano
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thanks for posting. I think you've solved my roof rack problem. Surfboards and cargo carrier is all I need and most racks out there are just too much and the oem is an eyesore.

OP
OP
Black_Stallion13

Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Thanks for posting. I think you've solved my roof rack problem. Surfboards and cargo carrier is all I need and most racks out there are just too much and the oem is an eyesore.
This should work great for you especially if you live somewhere that stays above freezing temps. After a week or so of using them I've found the secret with the slightly textured Bronco roof is to squirt water on the roof and rack feet before installing. If you do that, they stay solid and you won't really have to worry about re-pumping them at all for days. The problem in freezing conditions is that the water helping to make the tight seal freezes, obviously, which compromises the suction performance. Basically, I don't think I'd use them under 32° with the Bronco which isn't a huge deal for me bc I won't be doing much kayaking or camping in those conditions anyways. Just something to think about. Overall the design more than makes up for the negatives, IMO.

saltyairbrewer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Murano
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm in SC so not many days below freezing. 70s today! Picking up the bronco on Friday (hopefully)

Sponsored

bbrhm

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
This should work great for you especially if you live somewhere that stays above freezing temps. After a week or so of using them I've found the secret with the slightly textured Bronco roof is to squirt water on the roof and rack feet before installing. If you do that, they stay solid and you won't really have to worry about re-pumping them at all for days. The problem in freezing conditions is that the water helping to make the tight seal freezes, obviously, which compromises the suction performance. Basically, I don't think I'd use them under 32° with the Bronco which isn't a huge deal for me bc I won't be doing much kayaking or camping in those conditions anyways. Just something to think about. Overall the design more than makes up for the negatives, IMO.
Ordered them, have them ready to go but haven't installed yet. Is there a directive not to use them under that temp or are you just saying that based on your gut?

Hauling skis, I am in the mid-atlantic so nothing too terribly snowy or cold but want to be able to trust them on the top of the rig. Do you check the air intermittently? Are they able to stay installed for longer periods without removing them?

OP
OP
Black_Stallion13

Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
It's kind of a catch 22 because Seasucker recommends to install them with water for best results but also to not install them with water when temp is below freezing. For most people installing them on a vehicle with a painted roof or glass sunroof, I think you could get a good seal without water in the cold, but the Bronco has a slightly textured roof so to me it seems the water is key to getting a good seal on the hardtop. Another factor is the pads also need to be close to room temperature when you put them on so they can flex properly. I store them inside when not in use so they r ready to go from that aspect.

When the temps are above freezing and I install with water, they stay solid. Might have to give them a pump or two every couple of days. Probably will go weeks in the summer. It's obvious when you need to air up because the orange warning strips will show up. My gut is that you will pretty much be able to leave them be 3/4 of the year but personally I probably wouldn't use them with the Bronco if temps are close to freezing.

ChompSticks

Black Diamond
First Name
ChompSticks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 E55 wagon, '98 Suzuki X-90, '96 Town Car
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have a set of searsuckers for my town car. They are alright. I wouldn’t leave them on for longer than 24 hours (have permanent rings on the roof). After about 24HRS you’ll have to pump them all again to get suction. I don’t know if can realllt trust them at hwy speeds without some way of tying it down

EF08047B-574A-4E56-9861-3254F6C69FE5.jpeg

Zeno808

Big Bend
First Name
Zeno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
As somebody who used the roof rack on my last vehicle constantly, I have been a little annoyed at the lack of simple, traditional, crossbar options on the market for the Bronco that also allow easy and complete convertible functionality with the hardtop. After weighing the many options, I finally stumbled across Seasucker's new "Ridge Ready" Monkey Bars on their website:

https://www.seasucker.com/products/ridge-ready-monkey-bars

This new "Ridge Ready" version has skinnier, oval-shaped, suction feet specifically designed to work with Wranglers, Broncos, and truck caps that have ridges on the roof and are not completely flat surfaces.

The beauty of these bars is that you can place them ANYWHERE along the roof and space them however you want. They also can be mounted and unmounted in a matter of seconds depending on what roof panels you want to rock on any given day... seemingly a modular roof rack that is a match made in heaven for the Bronco hardtop.

I just did an initial mount and am pretty impressed with the quality. Very high grade hardware and the bars are very heavy duty/substantial feeling. I bought the standard 48" bars which fit pretty perfectly along the top of the hard top, but you can also get 60" versions if you want some overhang. The 60" version adds 12" bar extensions that screw in between the 48" bars so you can actually buy them separate later if you want to.

I did have a little trouble getting the suction pump to work at first until I got the trick - basically you have to wrap your whole hand around the suction pad and press downward while pressing the suction button to get them to engage. Once they are in place, you can shake the whole bronco with your hand just like any other roof rack setup. They are definitely solid and the suction cups even have little bright orange warning indicators that show up when you need to give them a few pumps to fully re-engage the suction force.

The only initial negative I see is that the front bar with 4 suction cup feet sits about an inch higher than the rear bar due to the different mounting hardware on the two. Mine are spaced pretty close together at about 24" in the pic below so the angle of the cargo is pretty harsh (see blue level) but obviously the farther you space the bars out the less the 1" of height difference will affect the angle of your load. Not sure why the front bar can't just be the same design as the rear bar, but I'm sure Seasucker has their reasons as a result of R&D. Also, I wish the bars were an aero design instead of round to reduce wind noise. Obviously, the potential security factor is another negative, but Seasucker does sell a little lock that engages in the window channel if you want something that attempts to keep thieves honest... I will probably just take my chances or throw them in the trunk if I'm really worried about it.

I believe they are rated for 150-160 lbs which is more than many factory roof rack offerings - good for a couple bikes, kayaks, or cargo basket which is what I will be using them for. I have to haul some lumber this weekend so will update after I put them to use.

Ford Bronco Seasucker Ridge Ready Monkey Bars - Initial Fit/Review EF08047B-574A-4E56-9861-3254F6C69FE5

Ford Bronco Seasucker Ridge Ready Monkey Bars - Initial Fit/Review EF08047B-574A-4E56-9861-3254F6C69FE5

Does the position of the bars matter or can you put the taller one in the back? With a surfboard, having that more extreme angle seems like it could catch more wind and potentially be less aerodynamic/safe then if the taller bar was on the back?

Zeno808

Big Bend
First Name
Zeno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'm curious if anyone knows how long the seal holds before needing to be repumped. I know the indicator will let you know, but I'm more curious if I put them on, without load, do they hold for days, weeks, months before needing to be re-pumped up?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Black_Stallion13

Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Does the position of the bars matter or can you put the taller one in the back? With a surfboard, having that more extreme angle seems like it could catch more wind and potentially be less aerodynamic/safe then if the taller bar was on the back?
Seasucker definitely says the taller one needs to be in front but not sure it actually matters. If you spread the bars out (put one on front panels, other on rear clamshell the load angle is much smaller almost not noticeable. I just have the bars pretty close together in my pics which makes the angle more harsh.

OP
OP
Black_Stallion13

Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'm curious if anyone knows how long the seal holds before needing to be repumped. I know the indicator will let you know, but I'm more curious if I put them on, without load, do they hold for days, weeks, months before needing to be re-pumped up?
So far I've found that with the Bronco top I usually need to re pump 1 or two of the feet everyday or so. My sense is that as weather warms up they will need to be pumped less as the rubber will be more pliable (I've only had them since last fall - I live in Ohio so it's been cold). As of now I deff don't think I'll leave them on at all times but they are super easy to add/remove when you need or don't need them.

KT_bronco

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transit Connect Cargo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for posting this, didn't know it was an option. Mainly looking to mount a small 4 foot awning for times when I go camping and remove when not in use. Seems like this could work.

Curious though if this would impact the laminating on the mic tops. After seeing bubbling and other issues with the top having this sucked on there makes me wonder.

OP
OP
Black_Stallion13

Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Thanks for posting this, didn't know it was an option. Mainly looking to mount a small 4 foot awning for times when I go camping and remove when not in use. Seems like this could work.

Curious though if this would impact the laminating on the mic tops. After seeing bubbling and other issues with the top having this sucked on there makes me wonder.
I haven't had any issues thus far but only use them every now and then when I need them. My sense is if you don't have any hardtop issues as it is you are probably ok. For reference, my hardtop is a late model 2022 so after Ford/Webasto supposedly fixed a lot of the initial production mishaps.

Bentpushrod

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ram 2500, '18 F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
I just got a set of the ridge runner monkey bars to haul my canoe. I got them for the ease of transferring them from one vehicle to another. I run a soft top in the summer, hard top in the winter. I’ll probably have my soft top back on in April or May, and the bars will move over to one of my pickups. We still have ice on all of our lakes, but had to see how everything fit.
Ford Bronco Seasucker Ridge Ready Monkey Bars - Initial Fit/Review IMG_4825
Ford Bronco Seasucker Ridge Ready Monkey Bars - Initial Fit/Review IMG_4827
Ford Bronco Seasucker Ridge Ready Monkey Bars - Initial Fit/Review IMG_4826
Sponsored