Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

In the rear seats, if you pull the seat belt all the way out does it do that ratcheting thing where it locks you into the seat?

My son commented today that when we took the dealer's demo for a spin that the seat belt wasn't locking him in like my current cars do.
Sponsored

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

In the rear seats, if you pull the seat belt all the way out does it do that ratcheting thing where it locks you into the seat?

My son commented today that when we took the dealer's demo for a spin that the seat belt wasn't locking him in like my current cars do.
It certainly should.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is built in for retention in a wreck and for locking down car and booster seats. Do not pull all the way out and it will function normally……unless it’s defective.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

on my vehicles, the belt pretensioner doesn't pull tight until the crash. the belts are slack otherwise.

OP
OP

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

But just about every car Ive had (all the modern ones) of you pull the belt all the way oit till it stops, it will ratchet in tight until it is all the way back in where it retirns to normal operation.

It is for Car seats and such for kids.

Sponsored

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
But just about every car Ive had (all the modern ones) of you pull the belt all the way oit till it stops, it will ratchet in tight until it is all the way back in where it retirns to normal operation.

It is for Car seats and such for kids.
Just tested it out. It does do it, pull belt all the way out = ratchets. The belts are quiteeeee long though

OP
OP

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Just tested it out. It does do it, pull belt all the way out = ratchets. The belts are quiteeeee long though
Thank you! Good to know I can strap my kid in and he can't go anywhere.

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

there is literally a pendulum inside the reel assembly of a seat belt retractor reel . inertia will swing the pendulum causing the mechanism to lock. some vehicles these are more sensitive than others. this the reason seatbelts sometimes lock when you may be stopped on an incline like a bridge or steep driveway... i am sure there is a federal standard which must be met by all vehicles sold in the US...

OP
OP

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

there is literally a pendulum inside the reel assembly of a seat belt retractor reel . inertia will swing the pendulum causing the mechanism to lock. some vehicles these are more sensitive than others. this the reason seatbelts sometimes lock when you may be stopped on an incline like a bridge or steep driveway... i am sure there is a federal standard which must be met by all vehicles sold in the US...

Thanks for taking the time to respond, but I'm Not talking about the locking when you get in an accident. That's standard and required. I was asking about the ratcheting used to secure car seats and such.

Totally different thing.

@Administrator ... You can lock this thread before it goes all sideways... I have my answer

Reactions: R11

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thanks for taking the time to respond, but I'm Not talking about the locking when you get in an accident. That's standard and required. I was asking about the ratcheting used to secure car seats and such.

Totally different thing.

@Administrator ... You can lock this thread before it goes all sideways... I have my answer
but a seatbelt does not lock in place unless the pendulum is moved. it will extend and retract, but it will not lock unless you have the belt fully extended...

Sponsored

Lab00Rat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BL 2-Door, 2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Full extension resets the ratchet mechanism. Working as intended.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

as described in the bronco owner's manual, this locking feature is used for securing child seats, not children.

they make 5 point harnesses for the latter functionality :)
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.