Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How do you feel about Ford's tour-de-force in keeping the Bronco and any meaningful details about it a secret?

It started out rough, with the union forcing Ford's hand to even reveal that the Bronco was in the works, but it has been a very tight ship since then. It says a lot when this picture of a vaguely shaped lump of clay or whatever it is under a tarp constitutes nearly half of what we've learned in almost 5 years ...
bronco-1521138949.jpg

Is all the secrecy helping Ford's cause? When does it become "enough" or "too much"? I posed a similar question not too long ago, and the amount of objective information gained in the last 9 months is very little.

There are no doubt numerous people reading another thread wondering what this is about:
SecrecyF.png

I'll try to fill you in with some storytelling since I was lucky enough to partake before the takedown by Ford. The animation begins with some small rocks "flowing" together across a closeup of some vaguely mountainous rocky slab with a few bits of mossy greenery. As the rocks come together they merge into a dark blob that quickly springs up into the form of the kicking Bronco seen here:
Startup Screen Bronco.jpg

Normally I'm quick to grab copies of Bronco media just in case they later become "unavailable", but I didn't get the video in time.

eta: Got this one though:
Sponsored

Last edited:

TopRecon

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2D Basesquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think we just have to remember that the beans got spilled years in advanced on this and it's really not Ford's fault. If Ford had had their way, I imagine we'd only be finding out about the Bronco now, I'd be interested in seeing Ford's original release timeline for this now that it doesn't really matter. Like it or not people become desensitized when they're over exposed, I think part of the reason the NSX sold so poorly is because they had it on display five years before it was in dealer showrooms, people were already bored of it before they could even buy it. If the Bronco was unveiled tomorrow and people had to sit on it for two years before they could actually buy one, the hype would definitely die, which they clearly don't want given how much they're investing in this. I hate waiting too, especially with the possibility that it might not meet expectations, but I'd rather Ford take their time on it and unveil it properly. On the upside, if we hadn't known about the Bronco, I probably would've gone and bought another car instead of waiting and saving.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Revealing vehicles 6 months out from release with production prototypes visible about a year prior seems to be the current trend. Corvette C8, Land Rover Defender, Jeep Gladiator, GT 500, the list goes on. I don’t like it, but obviously the manufacturers have their reasons for doing it this way. Honestly we’ve known more about the Bronco than any of those above vehicles to be honest at this point before their release. As a fan it sucks, but as TopRecon said above we have known about the Bronco for way way longer than Ford would have liked.

Ole Skool Bronc

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ3B Willys, 1G Bronco, TJ Jeep, Dodge Diesel.
How do you feel about Ford......
My Dad raised me to be a true blue Ford man. I'm stubborn, but opened minded - I'll argue, but if I can be can shown or convinced something is true; I'll change course. 19 years ago I changed course, kicking Ford to the curb and never once looked back after dumping Ford - until this Bronco thing happened.

How do you feel about Ford's tour-de-force in keeping the Bronco and any meaningful details about it a secret?
Well here we go again; I'm back considering a Ford, and guess what? It's not even on the car lots yet and already I'm irritated with Ford.

"IF" they have such a great product; why all the artifically induced 'hype' through secrecy?

"IF" they have actually built the creme dela creme of 4wd SUV's then why not let us know so we can be excited and start planning a purchase?

They don't have to spill the beans, but "IF" they have GOOD stuff to leak, start leaking it a bit at a time.

Usually people keep secrets when then have something to hide. So what do I think Ford is hiding? I think they are hiding the fact they have built a gadget-mobile capitalizing on the Bronco name, without any of the tough mechanical backbone that made the Early 66-77 Bronco great. For example all we have heard so far is about door holders, panelized removable top, no tools required removable doors, a shower and No solid front axle and No Coyote engine.

Yeah, I'm so over being excited about the new Bronco. For me their stupid secrecy plan has backfired. Had I known all this last year; I'd be driving a 2018 Recon Rubicon.

Last edited:

mikonrad

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Fiesta SFE, Toyota Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah, I'm so over being excited about the new Bronco. For me their stupid secrecy plan has backfired. Had I known all this last year; I'd be driving a 2018 Recon Rubicon.
I'm not sure what you mean by "had I known all this last year"? I mean, didn't you though? Compared to last year, there really isn't any surprising news. Ford didn't confirm anything you mentioned. Besides, even if they did, are tool-less removable doors, top, and door holders somehow take away from a new bronco? About the gadget machine idea, where does that come from in regards to any confirmation from Ford besides a leaked infotainment display? The JL has gone this direction too but somehow that's not a "gadget machine"?

A year ago, the bronco had already been announced almost two years prior and there was "frustration of secrecy" back then. Looks like you joined Bronco G6 a couple weeks ago and are already frustrated. You need to get a 2020 Rubicon and not regret not getting it again next year. ;)

Sponsored

mikonrad

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm not a big fan of all the secrecy stuff - I want it, and I want it now, and all. But, I just assume this isn't that unique and folks here seem to think the same as there can be quite the gap between announcement and reveal. Seems that the (apparently) earlier-than-planned announcement in 2017 created much of the hot-air in the bronco-waiting discussions.

I'm with several folks here thinking we're still a ways off for a reveal so my frustration is *currently* under control to my expectations. That 6mo window nickp mentioned earlier seems not surprising and is even reasonable, to me. Besides, toprecon is right on as it provides a good window to sock away cash.

Ole Skool Bronc

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not sure what you mean by "had I known all this last year"? I mean, didn't you though? Compared to last year, there really isn't any surprising news. Ford didn't confirm anything you mentioned. Besides, even if they did, are tool-less removable doors, top, and door holders somehow take away from a new bronco? About the gadget machine idea, where does that come from in regards to any confirmation from Ford besides a leaked infotainment display? The JL has gone this direction too but somehow that's not a "gadget machine"?

A year ago, the bronco had already been announced almost two years prior and there was "frustration of secrecy" back then. Looks like you joined Bronco G6 a couple weeks ago and are already frustrated. You need to get a 2020 Rubicon and not regret not getting it again next year. ;)
IF you really want to know.......

.....here's the deal: in 2018 the JL came out; however they were still making the JK in 2018 - basically a 6 month overlap. After driving a couple of electronic laden JL's with wireless updating and push button start/stop, I decided I liked the JK better. I located a 2018 Recon in late 2018, drove it and made an offer. We were close on the numbers and I would of budged, but kept thinking I should wait for the new 2020 Bronco that was going to compete with Jeep. So I waited only to find out now it's 2021 and it will be "revealed" in 2020, not sold in 2020 (deceptive Ford marketing assholes). Now, that the Recons are all gone, I'm looking seriously at the new Bronco. I don't like what I'm reading between the lines, sounds like a JL with a blue oval badge.

Soooo.......I'm thinking; instead of dropping 50k on a new Bronco, I sould put 35k into my old 72 Bronco and have a head turner and a great performer with no electronics (except fuel injection and ignition).

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
I mean when the press release about the Bronco came out in 2017 you could’ve ruled it out already; key words:

“This new generation Bronco boasts the latest in smart technology and a bold new look while remaining true to its rugged roots.”

mikonrad

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

.....here's the deal: in 2018 the JL came out; however they were still making the JK in 2018 - basically a 6 month overlap. After driving a couple of electronic laden JL's with wireless updating and push button start/stop, I decided I liked the JK better. I located a 2018 Recon in late 2018, drove it and made an offer. We were close on the numbers and I would of budged, but kept thinking I should wait for the new 2020 Bronco that was going to compete with Jeep. So I waited only to find out now it's 2021 and it will be "revealed" in 2020, not sold in 2020 (deceptive Ford marketing assholes). Now, that the Recons are all gone, I'm looking seriously at the new Bronco. I don't like what I'm reading between the lines, sounds like a JL with a blue oval badge.

Soooo.......I'm thinking; instead of dropping 50k on a new Bronco, I sould put 35k into my old 72 Bronco and have a head turner and a great performer with no electronics (except fuel injection and ignition).
Got you, makes sense. I think the ship has sailed on getting any current year vehicle that's stripped of those "quality of life" features. I do like many tech features such as good infotainment (if it has Android auto) but it does add some bloat to a vehicle and possibly create the issue where's there's just "more to go wrong" as systems get more complex. Other folks here could comment on reliability better than I. Things like auto start/stop (or just about anything that smells of CAFE regs) are annoyances for me but I'm looking for the good to outweigh the annoying.

On a side note, I've got to imagine that there's got to be some Recons out there for you. But you may also be at the point where you're close enough to Bronco reveal to wait, again.

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Not deceptive at all. Ford NEVER said it was a 2020MY vehicle. The most they ever said was "coming in 2020" - since many models are released in the 4th quarter, I ASSumed that meant an October 2020 availability of a 2021MY offering. Their production schedule slipped, and it looks like a 2021MY vehicle actually won't be available until... 2021. Oh, the Horror!

Buying a Recon at the time probably would have made you money - if you didn't like the new Bronco, you could keep it and accessorize, or sell it at near sticker two years down the road. I've actually seen very mildly modified JKs (bumpers, stereo, wheels & tires) sell for more than a new JK on the lot - and that was before the JL hit showrooms.

As for your last statement, this has been my fallback all along. While I'm in the middle of another round of upgrades to my '71, and will do that regardless, things would certainly go much more quickly and elegantly if the new BroncoBronco disappoints. I could order all the best bits out of every catalog and still not spend the $45k I have planned for the 2021 model.

Sponsored

Ole Skool Bronc

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I mean when the press release about the Bronco came out in 2017 you could’ve ruled it out already; key words:

“This new generation Bronco boasts the latest in smart technology and a bold new look while remaining true to its rugged roots.”
I didn't see that in 2017. Admittedly I made some poor assumptions as a result of being in a Jeep Club as a kid with my parents when my Dad bought a 1968 Bronco. The Early Broncos literally kicked Jeep's ass. I assumed the same type of mechanical superiority up grade over Jeep.

However in this day and age where people are more concerned with shiny gadgets and electronics I have my doubts a 50k chunk of electronically controlled plastic, push button start/stop, wireless updating and a cute bucking horse video is going to open my wallet.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

and possibly create the issue where's there's just "more to go wrong" as systems get more complex.
I have decided to develop a small aversion to that mentality. I understand the root of it, but it seemingly grows like a cancer if left unchecked.

I seriously over heard a similar comment being made about a refrigerator with an in-door ice and water dispenser awhile back ,"Looks like entirely too many moving parts for me", And I've heard that sentiment expressed over vehicles with power windows. Really? Is your view on humanity so dim that you believe that we cannot perfect very simple systems such as ice grinders and power windows over the course of 30 years?

At some point, one really needs to re-evaluate their take on what truly is "new and troublesome" technology. I think we have reached the point where we can safely assume an ice and water dispenser will operate reliably for a good long time.
I actually have more maintenance issues with manual windows on stripped down work trucks than I do with the power units on more upscale versions.

....... but don't get me started on modern diesels....LOL.

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My Dad raised me to be a true blue Ford man. I'm stubborn, but opened minded - I'll argue, but if I can be can shown or convinced something is true; I'll change course. 19 years ago I changed course, kicking Ford to the curb and never once looked back after dumping Ford - until this Bronco thing happened.

Well here we go again; I'm back considering a Ford, and guess what? It's not even on the car lots yet and already I'm irritated with Ford.

"IF" they have such a great product; why all the artifically induced 'hype' through secrecy?

"IF" they have actually built the creme dela creme of 4wd SUV's then why not let us know so we can be excited and start planning a purchase?

They don't have to spill the beans, but "IF" they have GOOD stuff to leak, start leaking it a bit at a time.

Usually people keep secrets when then have something to hide. So what do I think Ford is hiding? I think they are hiding the fact they have built a gadget-mobile capitalizing on the Bronco name, without any of the tough mechanical backbone that made the Early 66-77 Bronco great. For example all we have heard so far is about door holders, panelized removable top, no tools required removable doors, a shower and No solid front axle and No Coyote engine.

See NickP's post. The Bronco was NOWHERE near "realeasability" for the past few years, it is only now getting to the point where they consider it. Stampede kinda answered his own question with the fact that the Union rushed their hand on this one.

Side note, look at how China behaves, look up F-150 clone for example. China can turn around knock-offs fast, and the Bronco is meant to sell there.

Also, if Jeep had revealed the JL a year or so early, it would have made Fords job that much easier in unseating it! its not so much about consumers as it is about competitors

OP
OP
Stampede.Offroad

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Side note, look at how China behaves, look up F-150 clone for example. China can turn around knock-offs fast, and the Bronco is meant to sell there.

Also, if Jeep had revealed the JL a year or so early, it would have made Fords job that much easier in unseating it! ...
These get right to the idea of how much or how long Ford needs to stick to the stifling secrecy. As annoying as it is for people who are likely to buy one in most cases, there are incentives for Ford to keep info from their competitors.

If a Chinese knockoff can be churned out that quickly, is that going to make a difference though?

The current US competitors for a Bronco are developed on long timelines, so this seems excessive. Are there other future competitors coming into this segment that Ford is concerned with?

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Chinese knockoffs are generally lower quality, no surprise, that turnover comes at a cost. But they are also much cheaper. Ford is feeling the pain on this with the new escape already. I think Ford wants to have a vehicle to market before China so they can build their own image up. That stuff is above my paygrade, but I imagine timing is key. I am more familiar with the domestic competitive reasons, who knows what kind of things Jeep might be cooking up, or heck even Toyota? not that I consider them domestic but they would compete in our home turf where as China is competing with us on their turf.
Sponsored