First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F150 (just sold my GT350)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I know it was discussed in an earlier thread, but I’m seriously curious to see what the people @Ford and @mrlevine have to say about security features for the Bronco. Two 2017 Raptors were stolen yesterday within hours of one another -one belonging to a good friend of mine. In Texas (San Antonio in particular), the F series trucks are some of the most stolen vehicles. It’s insanely easy to get into them and apparently even easier to start them, even with the push to start. I’ve personally seen it where terds are cloning key fobs by accessing wiring on the passenger side floor panels and starting the ‘17 year model F150’s and Raptors. Given the popularity among thieves to take F series trucks for parts or to run dope up from Mexico, how much of a target will the Bronco be, especially given the modularity of parts and demand in the beginning? Will they be as easy to steal as the other Ford trucks or will there be any enhancements made to the security of the rig? Just curious.
Sponsored

BroncBro

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tacoma 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

A big theft targeted vehicle will mainly be the most common vehicles. They are worth the most in parts because there is a high demand for those parts.
The Bronco parts will not be in high demand because their production is nowhere near that of a F-150 or another very common vehicle like a Honda Accord.
If a car thief REALLY wants your car, they’re going to get it. Best thing to do is stick it indoors if possible and/or get really good insurance.
Or you could just live in it.......

Ford Bronco Security / theft prevention B8126FB4-81FE-4820-A79D-D4C798ABDE52

Last edited:

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
Moonbeam👀
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93CBR900RR, (prior)88 Bronco Manual 4.9L str 6
Your Bronco Model
Base
Best thing to do is lick it indoors if possible or get really good insurance.
You better do that indoors or your neighbors might think you're weird

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
Moonbeam👀
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Inline battery cutoff switch
Lojack
GPS tag

I'm just getting insurance

But yeah, better security from factory would be great. But I'm not surprised given the lack of standard factory options provided

Sponsored

Ripcurl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DodgeRam 1500 Laramie, HarleyDavidson 48
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wonder how the perimeter alarm will function that is shown as standard? Just a noise feature or a disabling feature?

Obviously it can be hauled away regardless by someone with the intent to do serious evil to your Bronco.......

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As BroncBro stated, if they want your ride, they'll get your ride, even if they wait until you're in it then put a gun in your face and take it and the keys along with your cell phone and wallet. Lucky to not get shot in the process. If someone gets the drop on you, just let it go.

At the end of the day, it's just a Ford, so don't die over a mass produced vehicle. If you've got good insurance, just tell the guy to burn it when done, then get yourself a new ride.

Now, with the PSA out of the way, besides ensuring that you obviously lock your doors, garage kept vehicles are safer to an extent, but be sure you get the alarm option, a club does help to protect during overnight theft attempts. I strongly suggest cameras for the perimeter of your home; pick whatever brand you like and pay the annual cloud storage fee.

For the vehicle itself you have affordable and astronomical options. on the cheap side, you can get a good dash cam such as one from Vantrue including one that has a front, inside, and rear camera. If you hardwire, it'll record even when truck is shut off.

Then there is the big boy option, another dash cam, but one with WiFi and cloud where you can access the feed from anywhere by app. The BlackVue 900X IR is 4K, has front, interior, and rear camera, park mode, can be hardwired, or spend money to get a dedicated battery.

What's not to like, right? Right?!!! Well, it's expensive as all hell. The camera alone is about $500, then you need a memory card for another $100 or more because it's 4K video and the files are large. Now you can hardwire, but it's a little more complicated here, but if you want that fancy battery, add another $150-$350! Now, I'm sorta edumacated, but my math ain't great (MBA in Finance), but that's near $1000 for a dash cam.

I'm sure others will share other options like practice your 2nd Amendment rights, but that's already understood, but you can't watch your ride 24/7. That day when you and the wife are out at the mall crawling to the Cheesecake Factory is likely when you'll get hit, so the camera is for you if you're really paranoid or just live someplace like I do here in Atlanta. ?

ApexCars

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Camera only really helps if you or the cops know the thief. If you belieive that the cops are going to take a still from your camera and then run it through some facial recognition database to hunt down the guilty party, you have a rude awakening coming. At least that has been my experience when I have been hit by theives. It's been a few years so that could have changed but I doubt it.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Cameras aren't the solution, just part of an overall security plan. And cops do usually know who the thieves are, as they are often repeat offenders.

A camera in my home helped me to catch a burglar several years back because the cops recognized the guy, so they do have some function. If cameras didn't work you wouldn't see them everywhere.

Cameras are a deterrent. Meaning that they show to the observer that you are paying attention. For home security, cameras give me not only the deterrent factor, but 2 things: Time and Information. My home exterior is also well lit at night. Why, because lights let you know that I am thinking about you, cameras show I'm learning about you, then you can draw a conclusion if I'm waiting for you.

Hell, I want someone to attempt to break in my home at night. I want to test out my guns and the ammo I pay so much for on human targets with no penalty because I live in the Deep South!

Anyway, I personally won't do a $1000 dash cam to protect my Ford, but just passing along information that I've previously researched. Anything has to be part of a greater strategy, but the more prepared you are, the more prepared you are.

Sponsored

Tdifonzo

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good question. I'm also wondering if you break one of the windows in the non-modular hard top, will you be able to replace the window or have to replace the entire rear section of the hard top?

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
Moonbeam👀
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Good question. I'm also wondering if you break one of the windows in the non-modular hard top, will you be able to replace the window or have to replace the entire rear section of the hard top?
Just the window unless the top is damaged too. It's not a one piece unit, they got the windows in there, they just don't pop out like modular. Probably held in by the seal

Tdifonzo

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just the window unless the top is damaged too. It's not a one piece unit, they got the windows in there, they just don't pop out like modular. Probably held in by the seal
Yeah, that's what I figured. Now what are the odds you can buy the window and parts to give the MIC top the removable modular windows? Only time will tell.

Inventor

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I live in California. I am flying to Texas to buy my Bronco and drive it home. I would rather not exit the truck at all but I have to figure this out. There are places I need to stop like Roswell NM and Pie Town because, pie.

Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 9.53.51 AM.png

OP
OP
Chango1501

Chango1501

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F150 (just sold my GT350)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Why Mike Levine? He's a communications manager. Nothing to do with product development...
So he can communicate what their plans are!
Sponsored