First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So this is the second time I’m replacing the resistors for the Oracle tail lights. The first time it was suggested that I use heat shrink tubing the connections (at first I was annoyed that wasn’t included in the kit or at least suggested in the instructions - then I was annoyed I didn’t think of it). But, it’s easy enough to access - just take off the fender and pop off that lower corner (which always feel like you’re gonna break it).

The result of a bad resistor isn’t the end of the world. The blinker on the dash, along with the noise is double the speed. The light on the exterior remains normal (from what I’ve experienced). It doesn’t seem too bad, but it’s annoying AF.

Fast forward to another winter and what do you know? It happens again. Oracle is nice enough to cover the cost of the part with shipping just being a few bucks. But, it gets worse. While I was waiting for the resistor to arrive in the mail for the driver side…the passenger side went. Thankfully, they didn’t ask for another shipping fee.

I just replaced both today - but, how can I seal these resistors so that they don’t corrode each and every year? Just a liberal amount of silicone on the end caps?

I guess mounting them inside would be the BEST option. Where the instructions have you mount them (asically under the tail light)s asking for trouble with all the rain, sand, dirt, salt that kicks off the tires and drains off the roof alongside the tails.

I may have answered my own question - but, I’m not really psyched about tearing apart the cargo area to hide a few dinky resistors.

Driver:
Ford Bronco Seeking Electrical Advice - Corroded Resistors for Oracle Flush Tail Lights IMG_5677

Passenger:
Ford Bronco Seeking Electrical Advice - Corroded Resistors for Oracle Flush Tail Lights IMG_5679
Sponsored

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Not much experience with the salty environs up North, but I have my own environment to contend with living at the beach. I have the flush tails. I never used their bracket and installation instructions for the resistor. I applied the adhesive tape and stuck it as high and away as the wires allowed on the body chassis.

OP
OP
redone17

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Not much experience with the salty environs up North, but I have my own environment to contend with living at the beach. I have the flush tails. I never used their bracket and installation instructions for the resistor. I applied the adhesive tape and stuck it as high and away as the wires allowed on the body chassis.
On the inner side of the tail light behind the plastic trim?

Behind here?

Ford Bronco Seeking Electrical Advice - Corroded Resistors for Oracle Flush Tail Lights IMG_5683

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

On the inner side of the tail light behind the plastic trim?

Behind here?

IMG_5683.jpeg
Nope. The other side between the outer quarter-panel and the outside of the tub's chassis. As high and away as the wires would allow.

Now, I'm not saying it is the best place for it and I might have problems too. But after taking the bumper off and seeing all the debris that gets kicked up and under, I wanted to put any electrical connections as far and away as the tire debris could reach.

EDIT: Looking at that picture that you have circled from the install video, it would probably be a good place if you can find the room. It certainly would make them more accessible in the event they need to be replaced.

As an aside, I suspect the rear parking sensors are going to be a problem. I'm surprised people haven't had problems yet. The harness and the sensors have minimal protection.

pillar406

Outer Banks
First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.keeseemotorcompany.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So this is the second time I’m replacing the resistors for the Oracle tail lights. The first time it was suggested that I use heat shrink tubing the connections (at first I was annoyed that wasn’t included in the kit or at least suggested in the instructions - then I was annoyed I didn’t think of it). But, it’s easy enough to access - just take off the fender and pop off that lower corner (which always feel like you’re gonna break it).

The result of a bad resistor isn’t the end of the world. The blinker on the dash, along with the noise is double the speed. The light on the exterior remains normal (from what I’ve experienced). It doesn’t seem too bad, but it’s annoying AF.

Fast forward to another winter and what do you know? It happens again. Oracle is nice enough to cover the cost of the part with shipping just being a few bucks. But, it gets worse. While I was waiting for the resistor to arrive in the mail for the driver side…the passenger side went. Thankfully, they didn’t ask for another shipping fee.

I just replaced both today - but, how can I seal these resistors so that they don’t corrode each and every year? Just a liberal amount of silicone on the end caps?

I guess mounting them inside would be the BEST option. Where the instructions have you mount them (asically under the tail light)s asking for trouble with all the rain, sand, dirt, salt that kicks off the tires and drains off the roof alongside the tails.

I may have answered my own question - but, I’m not really psyched about tearing apart the cargo area to hide a few dinky resistors.

Driver:
Ford Bronco Seeking Electrical Advice - Corroded Resistors for Oracle Flush Tail Lights IMG_5683

Passenger:
You could try this stuff. I've had good results with it

Screenshot_20240203_174246_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP
redone17

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
@Beach_Bum - interesting. I feel like the wiring is SO short. But, I guess if I pull the tail I could re-route it back, or towards the inside - instead of down.

OP
OP
redone17

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

pillar406

Outer Banks
First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.keeseemotorcompany.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Does it dry/coat like paint?
I don't know how to explain it, but it's not paint like, nor is it wax like. It's a self healing coating that is safe for electronics and doesn't dry out. I used it for years when I lived in the Midwest and never had corrosion on anything I sprayed it on. I usually checked it at least once a year just to safe and give it another coat if needed

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You can't SEEL resistors. They get HOT. Do NOT wrap them in anything and DO NOT hide them behind something flamable. They get VERY VERY hot and if you wrap them with something or stick them next to something (like other wires) that can be VERY dangerous.

Gtrekker

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor, Audi, M1102 Overland Trailer 2-B
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yeah, I'd rewire the resistor with longer leads. Good luck

Sponsored

Dorf2point0

Big Bend
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer, 2005 Explorer, 2013 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Driver:
Ford Bronco Seeking Electrical Advice - Corroded Resistors for Oracle Flush Tail Lights Screenshot_20240203_174246_Amazon Shoppin

Passenger:
Ford Bronco Seeking Electrical Advice - Corroded Resistors for Oracle Flush Tail Lights Screenshot_20240203_174246_Amazon Shoppin
Is that bracket made of aluminum? And the surface you are mounting it to, is it the inner steel of the back corner? 🤓

Bigmoose

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Flex Ecoboost Limited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I assume they are using a resistor to fake out the bulb outage.

you could probably just omit the resistor and disable rear bulb outage in the body control module with forscan.

Bschurr

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Braptor / 2023 Heritage LE / 2016 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I would suggest applying dielectric grease to all exposed wires/connections - this should prevent the corrosion. I put that $hit on everything.

https://a.co/d/b7Z4gts

Ford Bronco Seeking Electrical Advice - Corroded Resistors for Oracle Flush Tail Lights IMG_5802

OP
OP
redone17

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I would suggest applying dielectric grease to all exposed wires/connections - this should prevent the corrosion. I put that $hit on everything.

https://a.co/d/b7Z4gts

Ford Bronco Seeking Electrical Advice - Corroded Resistors for Oracle Flush Tail Lights IMG_5802
I use this on any and all connections. But, this is exposed.

OP
OP
redone17

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I assume they are using a resistor to fake out the bulb outage.

you could probably just omit the resistor and disable rear bulb outage in the body control module with forscan.
I don’t think you can. I may be wrong.

I know it’s necessary to use Forscan if you have factory LEDs.
Sponsored