Sponsored

Seeking feedback on aftermarket/custom "warthog tusk" front bumper posts/brush guards

norwal42

Wildtrak
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I made some corner posts for my 4th gen 4Runner some years ago, called them warthog tusks. Thinking about whether the design might be adaptable for the new Bronc, not just because of the warthog connection, but that's cool. ::) It's a much taller front fender, so TBD whether there's a design adaptation that works/looks good.

Ford Bronco Seeking feedback on aftermarket/custom "warthog tusk" front bumper posts/brush guards warthog-tusk-idea

Benefits:
- brush guard/impact protection for corners/headlights
- more compact/lighter than a full loop brush guard/steel bumper
- removable
- provides mounting point for limb risers, and far enough outboard to allow hood to open (anyone seen whether the advertised limb riser setup on the new Bronc has clearance for hood opening?)

Features:
- steel square tube and plate construction
- acid etch, Raptor epoxy primer, and Raptor liner epoxy coating
- cutouts for tie-downs, post/flag mounting, and no-metal-contact limb riser slot connection for shorty bungees
- pin quick connect/release for installation/removal without tools (this might make sense to change for Bronc if that modular front bumper bolt-on point makes the most sense to use)

//Update - added above a first draft idea for a post/"tusk" shape that could suit the Bronc. I assume that orange light on the corner is the marker light + turn signal... not good that it gets covered up, but I like the slight forward position for protection on that corner and for the headlight a bit. Could sweep it back, but then you're dragging branches across the headlight and front corner of the paint/fender. In this configuration, it's also possible that the marker/turn signal is visible behind the post a bit, where backing it up would completely obscure it from the side view. Only so much you can do for maintaining visibility...

Note, one reason I went with rubber bungees on my 4Runner tusk setup is that the tusks mount to the bumper, which is attached to the frame and flexes independently from the body and roof rack. With a more solid connection like turnbuckles which I originally used, you can ratchet up that tension like a piano wire but the force of the bumper and body flexing independently on rough roads will inevitably stretch your hard cable connections or otherwise loosen up your hardware eventually. Using these 5" bungees for tension leaves them a little more wobbly over bumps vs turnbuckles, but provides sufficient tension to slide limbs up and over, and maintains tension (I haven't had them on long-term enough see how many years they last, but they're just a few dollars at etrailer, so NBD to just replace if they get old and lose strength).

Still wondering if those stock mounting locations for limb risers would put the cables in the path of the hood opening... if anyone has seen it in action. :)
//

1. Anyone seen anything out there like this for the Bronc?
2. Any dealbreaker problems with the idea/making these to sell?
3. Any other ideas/feedback?
4. Any interested early Bronc buyers in the MN area interested in being involved in design/development or getting some?

Thanks for your time ::)

Ford Bronco Seeking feedback on aftermarket/custom "warthog tusk" front bumper posts/brush guards IMG_20200724_185417~2

Ford Bronco Seeking feedback on aftermarket/custom "warthog tusk" front bumper posts/brush guards MVIMG_20190421_190435~2
Sponsored

Last edited:

Who iz

Badlands
First Name
Otis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, 4Runner, Jimmy
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have purchased this same basic bumper for my F250 from Buckstop out of Prineville, Oregon. Top of the market...But, you do have to replace/upgrade your front springs to carry the extra lbs.
I will hope they or someone would consider an aluminum version for our new Broncos. The warn 16.5 stays hidden away and out of harmful weather, large game, and drug addict's view.
100% no damage to my truck after I hit a full grown buck at 55 mph+/-.... Deer sailed airborne for 35+ ' ...only light paint damage to the bumper, absolutely no dents or weld damage. Buckstop products are made in Oregon..... https://www.buckstopinc.com/....live's up to the name.
Ford Bronco Seeking feedback on aftermarket/custom "warthog tusk" front bumper posts/brush guards 1627435784264
Sponsored