Self healing PPF wrap?

beachman101

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So self healing PPF wrap. So I just heard about this and it sounds pretty awesome for long term paint protection. However , some questions first

1. how important is brand name and what are the top leaders in the industry?

2. How much of the car should be wrapped? and are there important parts people overlook? I saw somebody mention the wheel wells are a good idea

3. How long does it last? I read in one review that it starts to yellow and or crack and removing it will pretty much peel the paint off the car , is that true? is there a safe way to replace it?

4. Is it worth it if you have the money to spend? this is my first new car and i dont want a rock chip on the highway to fuck it up in the first week.
Sponsored

BillyGoat

Wildtrak
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ford Taurus Ltd. - Company Sled & Wifeā€™s Lexus
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

There are several out there, but KAVACA is the latest and greatest in self healing wraps. Comes with a 12 year warranty too. I plan to cover all of the painted surfaces.

The UV is ridiculous where Iā€™m at, so thatā€™s a big concern for Antimatter Blue choice. After getting the small imperfections corrected from a computer driven paint job, Iā€™ll do a ceramic coating (minimum 4 layers - Ceramic Pro & CP H9). Then add the KAVACA to help protect from the unavoidable scratches from the mesquites and woods. This Bronco will not be a mall crawler. All of this wonā€™t be cheap... more than a few Gā€™s. Yet, a truck that looks better always gets more back when itā€™s time to sell.

Johnny Mo

Raptor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teachu2shoot.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Energi, Ducati XDiavel
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Xpel
Self healing to a degree, lasts a long time, but the longer it's on the more harsh it will be on less adherent surfaces like bumpers/plastics (which for bronco shouldn't be a big issue.
Depending on the how the rock hits - it could still puncture/tear the ppf and then you're stuck with a cut in the wrap that is unlikely to heal. I think when I had mine done in 2016 the big point was that above 90 it will self heal and eliminate swirl marks.
Is it worth it on my Cayenne it was and helped with resale. Especially getting the door cups done - we've all seen how battered those can get.

OP
OP

beachman101

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There are several out there, but KAVACA is the latest and greatest in self healing wraps. Comes with a 12 year warranty too. I plan to cover all of the painted surfaces.

The UV is ridiculous where Iā€™m at, so thatā€™s a big concern for Antimatter Blue choice. After getting the small imperfections corrected from a computer driven paint job, Iā€™ll do a ceramic coating (minimum 4 layers - Ceramic Pro & CP H9). Then add the KAVACA to help protect from the unavoidable scratches from the mesquites and woods. This Bronco will not be a mall crawler. All of this wonā€™t be cheap... more than a few Gā€™s. Yet, a truck that looks better always gets more back when itā€™s time to sell.
question what does the ceramic coating do and why do it under the wrap?

Sponsored

BillyGoat

Wildtrak
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ford Taurus Ltd. - Company Sled & Wifeā€™s Lexus
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

question what does the ceramic coating do and why do it under the wrap?
The ceramic is a paint coating that improves appearance and depth of color. Since I will also add the wrap, I am just adding much greater UV protection. UV is death to any metallic paint. The rays just get multiplied a gazillion times by the ā€œmetalā€ flake (these days, itā€™s actually plastic). The paint life and sparkle pop will last much much longer.

2fast4u

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500 and Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

The head to head videos I'm seeing on KAVACA are not good at all. I had high hopes. But it is not looking at good at the others.

2fast4u

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I would look at the top brands. Xpel,3m,Suntek. The self healing stops working over time though.

guzie

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru WRX sti, 2019 Ford Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The ceramic is a paint coating that improves appearance and depth of color. Since I will also add the wrap, I am just adding much greater UV protection. UV is death to any metallic paint. The rays just get multiplied a gazillion times by the ā€œmetalā€ flake (these days, itā€™s actually plastic). The paint life and sparkle pop will last much much longer.
The procedure is to wrap and then do the ceramic over the wrap. I have it done on my current car and my wifeā€™s car. You donā€™t do ceramic and then wrap.

2fast4u

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have done both Ceramic coating under the PPF and on top on my cars. I do like getting the added UV help under the PPF. But thats just me.

Sponsored

sjp

Base
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So I am getting the factory PPF and am looking at a ceramic coating too. Also toying with getting the grille, flares, roof, and wheels painted white on my AMB Basquatch, with "Bronco" painted orange (even though it will be partially hidden by the brush guard).

What do you all suggest as the "order of things?" PPF, Paint, Ceramic? Or should I hold off on the PPF and get it after the paint?

I know this is going to add a couple thousand (or more) and I just want to make sure I get it right. I'm probably going to call around to get some quotes on the paint and ceramic before I decide whether to do it myself or have it done professionally, and with December 7th just a few weeks away, I'll need to make a decision on that PPF.

Another factor to consider is that since I'm having it shipped from out-of-state, PPF seems like a good idea to protect the body for the trip.

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Gonna give the 3M ppf a try, diy. Try to minimize the trail pinstriping.

Reactions: sjp

thd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Camaro SS 1/LE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Any idea who makes the factory PPF? Is it 3M or someone else? I'd like to know more details before I decide. Considering Excel as a costly alternative.

Johnthebronx

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Avalanche
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
PPF then ceramic coating. I think Kavaca is a product of Ceramic pro. So that PPF ceramic coating combination is good. There's also Suntek and Expel. You can put any brand of ceramic coating on top of those PPF I mentioned. Give us an update.

2fast4u

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
PPF then ceramic coating. I think Kavaca is a product of Ceramic pro. So that PPF ceramic coating combination is good. There's also Suntek and Expel. You can put any brand of ceramic coating on top of those PPF I mentioned. Give us an update.

The Tests I have seen Kavaca is not showing very well. The other big brands are doing much better.
Sponsored