Reese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If you're going to split up the family on wheeling trips in the future, why not keep the tight fitting Taco? It only needs to hold 2 people (assuming family of 4) anyway and it appears to be setup for anything. I agree with others who brought up dependability and you said it has a bunch of miles left in it.

Vote = Keep Taco šŸ˜‚
Sponsored

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You'll have the Tacoma long after the Bronco nickels and dimes you to death. You'll want to sell the Bronco and build another Tacoma in a few years, wishing you'd never sold your already (almost) perfect Tacoma.

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would keep the taco as well. What is the worst case...you have two options. Worst case turn down the taco a little. Best case your kiddos follow you when you go out offroad.

Then again...I am going back and forth on a 2 post or 4 post lift for our 3rd car stall to put 4 cars in our 3 car garage...maybe I am not the best one to listen too.

OP
OP
Ramble_Offroad

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35ā€™s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Keep Taco. Order Bronco.

if youā€™re kids are huge and the Taco is tight, wonā€™t the LJ be even tighter? Slightly longer TJ but same doors for the same tight ingress/egress/high lip. Tacos gotta be better than that no?
Yes, but thinking we wonā€™t fit in one vehicle anyway so thinking two. Plus kiddo wants a Jeep.

OP
OP
Ramble_Offroad

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35ā€™s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I believe Iā€™d keep the Tacoma... unless youā€™re just wanting to build up another adventurer from an abundance of aftermarket stuff. Which I totally get... building the vehicle is as much fun as using them, for me (historically at least).
Iā€™d probably need to dial the Taco back if we kept it for my daughter and Iā€™ll admit I donā€™t want to do that.
Bronco mod wish list is long so Iā€™ll focus there to satisfy the mod addiction.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Ramble_Offroad

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35ā€™s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You already own the Tacoma, why get rid of it for the exact same type of vehicle?
Tacoma is showing its age, itā€™s a typical highly modified offroad vehicle, consistently hungry for $$. I know, crazy talk right?

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Iā€™d probably need to dial the Taco back if we kept it for my daughter and Iā€™ll admit I donā€™t want to do that.
Bronco mod wish list is long so Iā€™ll focus there to satisfy the mod addiction.
This what I was going to suggest. Dial back the build but don't sell the parts. Let her get used to the "smaller" Taco and you also help her learn how to maintain and modify her vehicle as she grows into the upgrades.

Bison

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj cruiser, Power wagon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Keep taco. When you get your bronco have a little fun and enjoy it. If you still want another 2 door after that sell the taco and buy a base squatch bronco. It will probably be close to the same price as a nice LJ without the head aches hopefully.

OP
OP
Ramble_Offroad

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35ā€™s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As a former LJ owner (I enjoyed it a lot!) I would stick with the Taco. The LJ has a slightly better ride than a TJ, but itā€™s still not a smooth ride and the steering will be noticeably worse than the Taco. Iā€™m not current on the LJ market, but historically, they go for pretty high $. Then you have the squealing monkey issue. You can research it, but itā€™s real and will need to be resolved, if it has not been on whatever you find. I would not put a 16 yo in an LJ and I put my 10 yo on a dirt bike (apples and oranges, but I am not a helicopter parent).
Thanks man, appreciate your perspective.

OP
OP
Ramble_Offroad

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35ā€™s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Itā€™s a TJ sure, and it protected him so he walked away with a scratch, and his two older brothers never had a problem for five years across three new drivers, but Wranglers can be the tricky. My son slopped off a curve, over corrected, skid into the ditch on the other side of the road and when the front end planted the whole rig somehow spun and flipped on its side. The accident report said he was going 45. It was lifted 2ā€ and had maybe an extra inch of tire.

LJs are more stable with the extra wheelbase sure, but my advice is something with more precise steering and a lower center of gravity for a first vehicle. Even if you can find a 3.6 JKU sport for a good price, youā€™re better off (if you get a 3.8, teach them to check the oil often and always carry a quart ;)).

5ECADABD-E464-4448-8EE3-63DD6343BBC7.jpeg
Yikes, glad everyone was ok. Unfortunately this happens sometimes to young drivers, thatā€™s kinda what my 85ā€™ Bronco looked like when I rolled it. Not good.
Thanks for your comments. This is part of why Iā€™m thinking the Tacoma may be a bit much for a young driver. Itā€™s wicked tall, no swaybar, lots of suspension travel, etc.

plus my daughter is pretty tiny, just like her mom. She can barely see over the hood of my Tacoma and I donā€™t see her getting much taller. Sheā€™s maybe 5 foot.

Sponsored

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm with everyone else, keep the Taco. The LJ will eat you alive in rebuilding and modding it the way you want. You've got a Taco that's ready to roll. Now, that's just my opinion, and we know what the saying is about those. Ultimately it's your choice.

OP
OP
Ramble_Offroad

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35ā€™s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I really appreciate everyoneā€™s comments and perspective. I agree or can see the sound logic from everyone. Thanks guys.

Iā€™m rethinking the LJ, but still thinking that selling the Taco is the best choice for the family. Iā€™d like a stock 4x4 that could roam the mellow trails of CO. Old 4Runners are always a good choice but in high demand around here. Relatively new used jeeps are plentiful and less $ than on would think but....its a modern Jeep so my interest is very low. Maybe I could find an old FJ Cruiser in good shape. I have an older neighbor with one in his garage that he never drives.
Hmmm... more thinking / research is warranted.

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Good luck, seriously, on finding an FJ or 4Runner. They're $$$$ around here, when you can find one. They sell for well over KBB here. Hopefully you can find what scratches your itch without taking too much of a bath on selling that Toy.

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I really appreciate everyoneā€™s comments and perspective. I agree or can see the sound logic from everyone. Thanks guys.

Iā€™m rethinking the LJ, but still thinking that selling the Taco is the best choice for the family. Iā€™d like a stock 4x4 that could roam the mellow trails of CO. Old 4Runners are always a good choice but in high demand around here. Relatively new used jeeps are plentiful and less $ than on would think but....its a modern Jeep so my interest is very low. Maybe I could find an old FJ Cruiser in good shape. I have an older neighbor with one in his garage that he never drives.
A 2nd gen Xterra would fit the bill nicely here. They're just as reliable as a Toyota without the fanboy reputation keeping the price high.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

That's not a bad idea sir. In my area it's beginning to look like the FJ Cruiser is better than money in the bank. As my dear old Dad used to say, "Those things are as high as a Georgia pine".
Sponsored