Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco Sell my Tacoma? I must be crazy. 356E0068-D6BE-46F8-930D-368C5B133914
Ford Bronco Sell my Tacoma? I must be crazy. F073C4E2-C2DC-483E-A324-66B361C1EB1C
Ok, so long story short. 7/14 Res holder, 2D Badlands Sasquatch on order. Bronco will be “Dad’s new rig” and fresh DD. The stoke is high.

Multi vehicle/ family expansion / Bronco / Tacoma retirement plan.

Original plan was to keep my Tacoma when the Bronco arrives as a third vehicle for the family, my eldest is 14, etc. We will need a third vehicle very soon.
My taco has been through some serious adventures, it’s a beast and has plenty of miles still undiscovered. Without getting into the long version / mod list it’s a 2012 DCSB TRD Offroad, high clearance rear bumper, CBI all around, slee sliders, dual battery/fridge, fox 2.5 coils / Deaver leaf pack, stainless steel InHouse Fab snorkel, sold my GFC a few months back. Etc.
Recently my thinking has changed. Instead of keeping my Taco for my daughters / family weekender, I’m considering selling it. I know i will regret this, but I’m ready to switch it up. It drives fine but it’s a rather advanced vehicle for a new driver. I will be teaching my daughters to wheel, but I just don’t need two advanced heavily built offroad vehicles. But.... I’m just not the guy to put his kids in a practical vehicle like a Honda Accord, that would just be too smart. 4x4 is required for our lifestyle.
Instead I’m considering selling my Taco now and buying an 2004/2006 Jeep LJ. Yes the LJ’s are old, kinda spendy, not very practical, yes similar size as the 2D Bronco.

So high level: order Bronco, sell taco, buy old LJ, drive LJ until Bronco arrives, teach kid to wheel and drive 2 vehicles on family camping trips / adventure days / when 1st kid goes to college 2nd kid drives Jeep / when 2nd kid goes to college Dad keeps classic Jeep.

Side note, kids are huge now and we don’t really fit well in the Tacoma anymore anyway. Going bigger is not my style, So I'm thinking two 2doors could be the ticket for family adventures.

I’m I crazy to sell my Tacoma and buy a quasi unique / old jeep?
Sponsored

TJconvert2.7

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ford Bronco Sell my Tacoma? I must be crazy. F073C4E2-C2DC-483E-A324-66B361C1EB1C
Ok, so long story short. 7/14 Res holder, 2D Badlands Sasquatch on order. Bronco will be “Dad’s new rig” and fresh DD. The stoke is high.

Original plan was to keep my Tacoma when the Bronco arrives as a third vehicle for the family, my eldest is 14, etc. We will need a third vehicle very soon.
My taco has been through some serious adventures, it’s a beast and has plenty of miles still undiscovered. Without getting into the long version / mod list it’s a 2012 DCSB TRD Offroad, high clearance rear bumper, CBI all around, slee sliders, dual battery/fridge, fox 2.5 coils / Deaver leaf pack, stainless steel InHouse Fab snorkel, sold my GFC a few months back. Etc.
Recently my thinking has changed. Instead of keeping my Taco for my daughters / family weekender, I’m considering selling it. I know i will regret this, but I’m ready to switch it up. It drives fine but it’s a rather advanced vehicle for a new driver. I will be teaching my daughters to wheel, but I just don’t need two advanced heavily built offroad vehicles. But.... I’m just not the guy to put his kids in a practical vehicle like a Honda Accord, that would just be too smart. 4x4 is required for our lifestyle.
Instead I’m considering selling my Taco now and buying an 2004/2006 Jeep LJ. Yes the LJ’s are old, kinda spendy, not very practical, yes similar size as the 2D Bronco.

So high level: order Bronco, sell taco, buy old LJ, drive LJ until Bronco arrives, teach kid to wheel and drive 2 vehicles on family camping trips / adventure days / when 1st kid goes to college 2nd kid drives Jeep / when 2nd kid goes to college Dad keeps classic Jeep.

Side note, kids are huge now and we don’t really fit well in the Tacoma anymore anyway. Going bigger is not my style, So I'm thinking two 2doors could be the ticket for family adventures.

Keep Taco. Order Bronco.

if you’re kids are huge and the Taco is tight, won’t the LJ be even tighter? Slightly longer TJ but same doors for the same tight ingress/egress/high lip. Tacos gotta be better than that no?

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm on the keep Taco train.

You could really use a saggin wagon for spare parts and tools to wheel the Bronco while mitigating concern for getting stuck hard when the kids get the whiskey throttle.

ssolypop

Badlands
First Name
Solomon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Avenger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Keep the Taco and Buy a Bronco. Makes for an awesome family overlanding trip. Kid and their friends in the Taco and you and you significant other in the 2dr. When the kids get stuck you can pull them out and use the rest of the trip to remind them of it. Haul gear in the Taco and use the 2dr to scout the trails and explore once you've set up camp.

Wizard1183

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Sierra/ 2010 Camaro 2SS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Taco out lives them all

Sponsored

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I believe I’d keep the Tacoma... unless you’re just wanting to build up another adventurer from an abundance of aftermarket stuff. Which I totally get... building the vehicle is as much fun as using them, for me (historically at least).

Marauder

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Toyota’s are dependable and you know what that one has gone through. If you plan on the kids learning and still wheeling than why give it up?

is your 3rd vehicle a truck? Those things come in handy for college aging kids.

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You already own the Tacoma, why get rid of it for the exact same type of vehicle?

Macjr

Black Diamond
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Offroad, 2020 Volvo xc40 RDesign
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Love this thread I’m in same boat...I love my Tacoma. I’ve got it built perfect. it holds its value better than any vehicle I’ve owned

mtap

Black Diamond
First Name
Mervin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra, Hummer H3, Harley Sportster
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Must always have a truck if you’re going multi-car family...

Sponsored

BeerForMyHorses

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm on the keep taco train as well. But obviously only you can truly answer your question.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As a former LJ owner (I enjoyed it a lot!) I would stick with the Taco. The LJ has a slightly better ride than a TJ, but it’s still not a smooth ride and the steering will be noticeably worse than the Taco. I’m not current on the LJ market, but historically, they go for pretty high $. Then you have the squealing monkey issue. You can research it, but it’s real and will need to be resolved, if it has not been on whatever you find. I would not put a 16 yo in an LJ and I put my 10 yo on a dirt bike (apples and oranges, but I am not a helicopter parent).

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

It’s a TJ sure, and it protected him so he walked away with a scratch, and his two older brothers never had a problem for five years across three new drivers, but Wranglers can be the tricky. My son slopped off a curve, over corrected, skid into the ditch on the other side of the road and when the front end planted the whole rig somehow spun and flipped on its side. The accident report said he was going 45. It was lifted 2” and had maybe an extra inch of tire.

LJs are more stable with the extra wheelbase sure, but my advice is something with more precise steering and a lower center of gravity for a first vehicle. Even if you can find a 3.6 JKU sport for a good price, you’re better off (if you get a 3.8, teach them to check the oil often and always carry a quart ;)).

Ford Bronco Sell my Tacoma? I must be crazy. 5ECADABD-E464-4448-8EE3-63DD6343BBC7

MyATV

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Instead I’m considering selling my Taco now and buying an 2004/2006 Jeep LJ.
Hmmm. If you were interested in a 4-year-old 2-door Sahara with 6-speed manual and 23K miles, I might could help. [chuckle]

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Like everyone else has said, the Taco will probably drive better and outlast the Jeep with less maintenance. My first car is my current JKU and my brothers was a JK. Jeep’s are great, but in my experience there is always something to fix and that gets old after a while. I’m a fairly good driver so mine is in really good shape still, but my brother is not and pummeled his into submission in just a few years and I got sick of keeping it one piece for him. Poor Jeep...

If you’re really looking for a new project, the LJ will be it, but they are likely going to cost you a lot more in the long run than maintaining your Taco. So in my opinion the Taco is the better choice. Although, it is hard to beat the cool factor of rolling up to high school with no roof and no doors. Makes everyone jealous!

They’re both great vehicles, but it’s important to know what you’re getting yourself into. The Jeep may also be a better toy (if it can handle the family beating) after the kids go to college. It’s really up to you!
Sponsored