Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Took the SAS BD out for what I though would be an easy drive down a log road. Little did I know that at the turn around it was soft unpacked snow about 3.5ft deep. Tried to dig out for about an hour, ultimately had to call a local recovery shop and wait for them to send out a CAT to drag me out. I was hung up on the entire front end and had 0 supplies lol. Take this as a lesson to never leave your recovery gear at home or face a $650 tow out from a local CAT

Weather was beautiful and I couldn't do anything but have a laugh at myself and enjoy the weather
Ford Bronco Sent er a bit too much... stuck in the snow 20220226_121639
Ford Bronco Sent er a bit too much... stuck in the snow 20220226_120240
Ford Bronco Sent er a bit too much... stuck in the snow IMG_20220226_133151_905
Sponsored

Last edited:

Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
How would you even self recover from that? Doesn't appear to be trees close enough st all

Bongo Fury

Base
First Name
Bongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Base
How would you even self recover from that? Doesn't appear to be trees close enough st all
Had a similar occurrence quite a few years back.
Lesson learned
Always keep a couple short lengths of rope handy and stowed for these situations. A rope can be threaded though spoked wheels and made into a makeshift set of "chains" for extra traction. Walked it right out....untied ropes and away I went.
Second instance involved burying 8N Ford tractor.
Again with the rope.
Found downed section of tree
Tied off to both rear wheels
Reverse wheels just enough to "hop" up out of ruts
Remove and repeat if needed

Last edited:

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Another good reason to wheel with a friend(s). Glad you made it out albeit w/ a thin wallet

OP
OP

hozer

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Winch off the back could roped a tree. However I don't think it would have done the trick. Medium sized tracked bobcat struggled, it was beyond stuck and the trees around did not have the girth to winch on.

Sponsored

Midlife Crisis

Badlands
First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Missing my 86 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Traction boards and a shovel could have gone a long way. And dare I say it, a Hi-Lift and proper rigging would have worked as well.

VGK_Fan

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Audi S5 Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah those tires weren't doing you any favors. Expensive lesson but glad you're laughing and have a story to tell

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey nice wheel choice! Looks like they tuck better without 315s with Sas flares.

Maybe traction boards? I have some bad memories of snow wheeling while being poorly equipped so I'm very hesitant to do it now.

OP
OP

hozer

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yeah those tires weren't doing you any favors. Expensive lesson but glad you're laughing and have a story to tell
They did great on the ice for the first 2km (which is why I have them) but yup... As soon as I sunk knew it was going to be no bueno.

Sponsored

BlueOvalBandit

Badlands
First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Actually $650 for an off road recovery I think is a smoking deal. Or it could be I'm used to marine tows, last time (2014 I think) I heard a guy on ch. 16 need a tow less than 3 miles off shore it was $1600+ for a 25' boat without being a vessel assist/boat US member (it expired the month before :whistle: he asked to renew then and there) . After the denial for renewal guy said he'd paddle back after some colorful language:ROFLMAO:.

BRBUSTER72

Black Diamond
First Name
DAVE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 XTERRA '16 SUPER DUTY '18 EQUINOX DIESEL
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS CARRY A SHOVEL IF YOU LEAVE THE PAVEMENT. IT WOULD HAVE BEEN A LOT OF WORK BUT IT LOOKS LIKE YOU COULD HAVE DUG YOURSELF OUT. TRUST ME, THIS COMES FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE.

Last edited:

dan79

Big Bend
First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 f250
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

well that sucks lol I must admit I had the kids in the bronco the other day and just messing around in the snow drove down some high tension lines deep snow but not bad then I drove over a small flooded out stream. I didnt even see it till I was in it, hidden under snow and a thin layer of ice was scared I would get stuck out there with them. no worries tho put on lockers gave it a little gas right out. good thing cuz I was like two miles from the road with a 5 and 7 year old. no boots or snow stuff. could have ended bad I guess

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Them street tires didn’t help. I’ve done some pretty similar stuff at least in dirt you can dig a hole and put your spare in it as an anchor snow maybe but still you’d need a shovel and Recovery gear. At least doesn’t sound like you damaged anything.
Sponsored

Last edited: