Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 GTS, BMW M3, VW Golf
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Traction boards can get you out of almost anything. Snow and sand guys I know use a winch anchor which is a terrific idea but a huge PITA to store onboard
Sponsored

Losy

Raptor
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 1 Raptor, GL63, S7
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Kudos to you for posting the pics and owning your mishap. The excitement of taking a Bronco in the snow can make many of us forget to bring recovery gear for a proposed quick ride.

Sponsored

MikeyFrog

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

GOAT modes my ass. GOAT except 3.5 ft of snow

labattbluebronco

Base
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 bronco, 18 silverado, 11 taurus, 01 wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Glad you made it out and sounds like it was a good learning experience for you. I can't tell from the pictures if you aired down or not. The difference a wider footprint from lower pressure makes is insane. When I go snow wheeling my standard pressure is 10 PSI. If it gets deep and I need more flotation I'll lower them to 5 PSI. If I get stuck and I don't have a tree or buddy to winch off of, I'll take them down to ZERO for max traction before I consider myself actually stuck.
How would you even self recover from that? Doesn't appear to be trees close enough st all

I learned this from an incident I had when I was 16 out wheeling in my 1980 Bronco. I was struggling in the mud (for several hours) when an "old timer" got to the same spot and walked right out. When he got to the end (top) of the obstacle I was struggling on, he "schooled" me on tire pressure & traction. Thankfully I have not needed to call in reinforcements of the expensive kind using this lesson. I try to pay it forward whenever I can.

OP
OP

hozer

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Glad you made it out and sounds like it was a good learning experience for you. I can't tell from the pictures if you aired down or not. The difference a wider footprint from lower pressure makes is insane. When I go snow wheeling my standard pressure is 10 PSI. If it gets deep and I need more flotation I'll lower them to 5 PSI. If I get stuck and I don't have a tree or buddy to winch off of, I'll take them down to ZERO for max traction before I consider myself actually stuck.

I learned this from an incident I had when I was 16 out wheeling in my 1980 Bronco. I was struggling in the mud (for several hours) when an "old timer" got to the same spot and walked right out. When he got to the end (top) of the obstacle I was struggling on, he "schooled" me on tire pressure & traction. Thankfully I have not needed to call in reinforcements of the expensive kind using this lesson. I try to pay it forward whenever I can.
No air down was only on packed snow/ice before, thought about it but ultimately decided it wasn't gonna help at this particular juncture

ericwmedic

Big Bend
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Focus RS NB
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
GOAT modes my ass. GOAT except 3.5 ft of snow
It's a driver ASSIST technology. You can't drive road donuts into deep snow and expect to grab anything but a tow strap. That's like all these dudes with Carolina squatted trucks, running Nitto street slicks, and getting mad because their Silveraydoo can't cross a cornfield in 4 High.

Sponsored

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Where were you, BTW?

MikeyFrog

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It's a driver ASSIST technology. You can't drive road donuts into deep snow and expect to grab anything but a tow strap. That's like all these dudes with Carolina squatted trucks, running Nitto street slicks, and getting mad because their Silveraydoo can't cross a cornfield in 4 High.
Yeah, it's a joke. No need to go fan boy on me

Delli555

Black Diamond
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Acadia
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Should have packed your shovel and recovery boards!

M&M Beer

Outer Banks
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge-F-150 Supercrew
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
in Michigan we use tree limbs and a jack would have gotten you out in no time.
Sponsored