Sponsored

Serious Tech Issue - 12 Inch Touchscreen blacked out / bricked (by software update?)

craigk724

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hi all,

After 9600 flawless miles, I've run into my first serious issue. After a full day of running errands in my 2021 Badlands Sasquatch, we went to an evening movie - on the drive we used the 12 inch touchscreen for nav, Apple Carplay, front/rear cameras, etc. On coming out of the theater a few hours later, the Bronco started just fine, but the 12 inch touchscreen stayed black. I turned the car off fully, locked and unlocked, restarted - still nothing. There's no response at all from the screen, the knobs do nothing, the camera button does nothing, there's no radio, navigation, etc. The USB ports below the screen don't appear to be providing power to our phones. The car otherwise runs fine - AC still works, auto start/stop is fine, headlights etc. all working, aux LEDs working.

Interestingly, I opened the Ford Pass app and noticed that Ford Power-Up 2.1.1 update ran yesterday. I don't know the exact time, but it would seem suspicious to me that this issue would rear its head on the exact same day as an update to the software. Is it possible that the update failed in some way or nuked the screen? The Ford Pass app shows the update as "successful".

I let the car sit overnight, tried starting up again at home this morning, and the issue remains. I've tried the volume button/fast forward restart and nothing happens. I disconnected the negative connection of the battery and reconnected after 20 minutes - still nothing.

Any ideas, tips, advice? My concern it's a chip issue, and I can't begin to imagine how long the wait for a replacement chip would be. Welcome any thoughts or things to look at or try. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Hi all,

After 9600 flawless miles, I've run into my first serious issue. After a full day of running errands in my 2021 Badlands Sasquatch, we went to an evening movie - on the drive we used the 12 inch touchscreen for nav, Apple Carplay, front/rear cameras, etc. On coming out of the theater a few hours later, the Bronco started just fine, but the 12 inch touchscreen stayed black. I turned the car off fully, locked and unlocked, restarted - still nothing. There's no response at all from the screen, the knobs do nothing, the camera button does nothing, there's no radio, navigation, etc. The USB ports below the screen don't appear to be providing power to our phones. The car otherwise runs fine - AC still works, auto start/stop is fine, headlights etc. all working, aux LEDs working.

Interestingly, I opened the Ford Pass app and noticed that Ford Power-Up 2.1.1 update ran yesterday. I don't know the exact time, but it would seem suspicious to me that this issue would rear its head on the exact same day as an update to the software. Is it possible that the update failed in some way or nuked the screen? The Ford Pass app shows the update as "successful".

I let the car sit overnight, tried starting up again at home this morning, and the issue remains. I've tried the volume button/fast forward restart and nothing happens. I disconnected the negative connection of the battery and reconnected after 20 minutes - still nothing.

Any ideas, tips, advice? My concern it's a chip issue, and I can't begin to imagine how long the wait for a replacement chip would be. Welcome any thoughts or things to look at or try. Thanks in advance!
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.

Rednek

Black Diamond
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco BD/2023 Maverick XLT/02 F150/68 Torino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

try unhooking the neg battery cable for 10 minutes and retry(this should reset system)

Sponsored

guest001

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Fuse?

This happened on my Escape (before the Bronco). Went somewhere, everything working fine. Stopped car, ran errand. Came back out and car started fine but screen was black and non-responsive. Replaced the fuse for screen and everything worked again.

OP
OP

craigk724

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Fuse?

This happened on my Escape (before the Bronco). Went somewhere, everything working fine. Stopped car, ran errand. Came back out and car started fine but screen was black and non-responsive. Replaced the fuse for screen and everything worked again.
We shall see I guess - I have an appointment Friday morning with the service department. User Flip provided some helpful information on the codes it's thrown. Hoping it's an easy fix and not a months wait for a chip; it's not quite as fun without any music.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We shall see I guess - I have an appointment Friday morning with the service department. User Flip provided some helpful information on the codes it's thrown. Hoping it's an easy fix and not a months wait for a chip; it's not quite as fun without any music.
Did you ever get any resolution on this issue?

My 12” screen is also out. Nothing is working except the IP display above the steering column and the climate controls. Nothing on the big screen — nav, radio, Sirius XM, cameras — not even the backup camera in reverse.

I started the engine and turned it off several times, drove a bit around town to run some errands, and nothing seems to re-start it.

My next check will be to look for a blown fuse or loose connector under the dash and then disconnect the battery. 🤷‍♂️

OP
OP

craigk724

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No resolution yet. The dealer service center took it through a number of tests and tries and could not get it revived, and so diagnosed it as a dead APIM, which is backordered due to chip shortages. They say they've marked it as an "emergency order" on their end, but that I'm free to contact Ford customer service to try to get them to expedite it any further. My efforts dealing with @Ford Motor Company have been extremely disappointing so far. Absolutely no word on when they expect the part - it feels likely to be months. They've authorized a rental, which I haven't taken them up on yet, but otherwise refer me back to the dealership for any news on the part. It's extremely disappointing to be paying for a $68,000 car that has no radio, navigation or settings access. As much as I love the truck, the experience has soured me a good deal - first Ford and last Ford for me, I think.

Sponsored

Hudman316

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
No resolution yet. The dealer service center took it through a number of tests and tries and could not get it revived, and so diagnosed it as a dead APIM, which is backordered due to chip shortages. They say they've marked it as an "emergency order" on their end, but that I'm free to contact Ford customer service to try to get them to expedite it any further. My efforts dealing with @Ford Motor Company have been extremely disappointing so far. Absolutely no word on when they expect the part - it feels likely to be months. They've authorized a rental, which I haven't taken them up on yet, but otherwise refer me back to the dealership for any news on the part. It's extremely disappointing to be paying for a $68,000 car that has no radio, navigation or settings access. As much as I love the truck, the experience has soured me a good deal - first Ford and last Ford for me, I think.
$68,000? Did you pay above MSRP?

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hi all,

I suspect the same thing happened on mine. The Ford Power-Up system has been attempting to do an OTA update, but it keeps failing, so the Accessory Protocol Interface Module (APIM) may be either the cause or the victim of the update process failing.

OP
OP

craigk724

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I suspect the same thing happened on mine. The Ford Power-Up system has been attempting to do an OTA update, but it keeps failing, so the Accessory Protocol Interface Module (APIM) may be either the cause or the victim of the update process failing.
You reaching out inspired me to give the dealer a call for a status update after a couple of weeks of no news. Wish I had something good to report, but they say it's still backordered with no ETA. They truly seem to have no idea if it will be a matter of weeks or months or a year - she described other cars sitting around for 6 months on the lot with chip related issues. I hope for your sake one of the other fixes - disconnect and reconnect battery, or checking connections - gets yours up and running. Quite a bummer on such a new car that we both waited so long for.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You reaching out inspired me to give the dealer a call for a status update after a couple of weeks of no news. Wish I had something good to report, but they say it's still backordered with no ETA. They truly seem to have no idea if it will be a matter of weeks or months or a year - she described other cars sitting around for 6 months on the lot with chip related issues. I hope for your sake one of the other fixes - disconnect and reconnect battery, or checking connections - gets yours up and running. Quite a bummer on such a new car that we both waited so long for.
Thanks. I checked fuse #31 visibly and electrically, and it looked fine and passed a continuity test. Then I disconnected the negative terminal on the battery and reconnected over an hour later with no success. 🤨

My next step will be to disconnect and reconnect C210 under the dash behind the right-hand cowl trim panel. If that doesn’t fix it, it will have to be dealt with by a dealer. 🤷‍♂️
Sponsored