Sponsored

Serious Tech Issue - 12 Inch Touchscreen blacked out / bricked (by software update?)

uncledoodoo

Everglades
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 XJ, 56 F100, 11 Volvo XC90, Everglades
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

I don’t understand how this is ok. What are we supposed to do?
Get a lawyer? If mine does this I'd gladly pitch in for one. I'm pretty tolerant, but I would not be after about 2 months
Sponsored

MOBRONCO

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
believe me, i looked into it. doesn't pass the "four times" or "safety hazard" tests, and since the dealership has provided a loaner for the entire time, it doesn't pass the "30-day" test.
State lemon law isn’t your only recourse, the federal Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act may come into play. I would be contacting an attorney at that point.

reigny

Outer Banks
First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ninja 650, 2003 Honda Shadow Ace
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

believe me, i looked into it. doesn't pass the "four times" or "safety hazard" tests, and since the dealership has provided a loaner for the entire time, it doesn't pass the "30-day" test.
Lemon law is viable if the car is at the dealership for 30 consecutive days - BUT NOT IF YOU HAVE A LOANER?

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'm not the guy, but someone posted that they bought an F150 version for the time being and it worked good enough

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

While I am waiting on an ETA for the replacement part for the failed Accessory Protocol Interface Module ("SYNC Module [APIM]"), I have been digging into the removal and installation procedures in the Workshop Manual (WSM), hoping it won't be too invasive (e.g., easy access, plug & play from below the dash). Silly me! :cautious:

At first glance, it appears to be simple -- a 2-page procedure, involving 6 connectors, 3 bolts, and Bob's your uncle (See 'SYNC Module APIM - Removal and Installation' below).

But then I notice the little hyperlink below circled in red...

SYNC Module APIM - Removal and Installation.jpg

... and I click through to find a 16-page procedure involving the disassembly of most of the dash to gain access to the 12-inch screen, behind which lies the SYNC 4 APIM (See 'Center Display Screen - Removal and Installation' below)! :eek:

But wait, it gets better...

When I searched for the actual SYNC 4 APIM part, I find that it retails for $639.55 (MSRP)...

SYNC 4 APIM Replacement Part.jpg

Needless to say, I'm glad this is going to be a warranty replacement, and the total expected cost to replace, including parts and labor, is starting to reinforce the potential value of purchasing an extended warranty, which I have not yet done.
My service advisor just called. My SYNC 4 APIM arrived, and he scheduled me for installation at 10:30 AM on Tuesday, October 11th. (y)

Despite the workshop manual stipulating that the dash has to be completely disassembled, he checked his labor guide and swears it will just be a 1.5-hour procedure plus programming time, so in and out the same day. 🤷‍♂️

Sponsored

reigny

Outer Banks
First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This is great news! Hopefully mine is soon to follow.

Benguin8

Badlands
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-squatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just got my call today that my APIM is in too! Can't schedule til next week but what's 1 more week added to 3 months haha.

Very interested in hearing if anyone gets compensation. What a mess.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My service advisor just called. My SYNC 4 APIM arrived, and he scheduled me for installation at 10:30 AM on Tuesday, October 11th. (y)

Despite the workshop manual stipulating that the dash has to be completely disassembled, he checked his labor guide and swears it will just be a 1.5-hour procedure plus programming time, so in and out the same day. 🤷‍♂️
Successful transplant! I arrived at the dealership at 10:30 AM and departed at 2:00 PM. Yay! :cool:

Ford Bronco Serious Tech Issue - 12 Inch Touchscreen blacked out / bricked (by software update?) A83B0CFF-94F5-4B79-B116-57763843A4E7

reigny

Outer Banks
First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Sponsored

reigny

Outer Banks
First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

lewishamilton

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 VW Golf R
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I didn’t look back in the thread. How many months was it?
I don't have my Bronco yet, it was just built and waiting to be shipped. I read the entire thread, looks like you guys have been waiting 2-3 months. I can't imagine driving one without the backup camera lol

reigny

Outer Banks
First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I don't have my Bronco yet, it was just built and waiting to be shipped. I read the entire thread, looks like you guys have been waiting 2-3 months. I can't imagine driving one without the backup camera lol
I think we are waiting closer to 6 months. I had my bronco 7000 miles so you get used to driving it. I can maneuver without the backup camera. I have to look around the sides because you can’t really see out the back.

reigny

Outer Banks
First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

reigny