Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing cool
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

This is hilarious! Give em a shitty top then squeeze ‘em some more for what should be standard.
Sponsored

chipbutty

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing cool
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Haha. Ford intentionally uglified the MIC top on BnP while adding the black mod top. Or to at least make the mod top look that much better

Chalk this up as another example of Ford just begging for people to push out their builds.

Less earlier builds = more successful rollout. Since they’re at the mercy of their suppliers limitations, the only thing in Fords control and save face is to lure people to push out their builds.

Based on some responses here, it seems like it’s working. So I guess we truly are the sheep that could be herded lol

I won’t be lured over. I’m stubborn, standing ground, and sticking with my 21 MIC sas lux 2.7l build. I’m Fords worst nightmare. If everyone did the same, Ford would have like the worst rollout in history and their stock would take another hit
Fords worst nightmare is someone who doesn’t buy their product not someone who pays for two high end options and the big motor ?

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Fords worst nightmare is someone who doesn’t buy their product not someone who pays for two high end options and the big motor ?
Haha. Very true! But I’m not making this rollout easier for them

RBF 1401

Base
First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Avalon, 95 Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ford website states that if you option the black painted Mod top, it comes with black painted grill and mirror covers.

I would actually prefer *not* to have those things swapped... but it at least addresses the miss-match.

Screen Shot 2021-01-29 at 10.01.09.png
Is that blurb a trim-specific comment. Because isn't that what was supposed to come standard on one of the trims?

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is that blurb a trim-specific comment. Because isn't that what was supposed to come standard on one of the trims?
You’re talking about Wildtrak...

This blurb is present in at least BL and one other... so it’s not because it’s what’s standard.

Sponsored

MyATV

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

A black vehicle seems to be the only instance where a glossy black top might be a 'no-brainer'. Any other color of vehicle, and it becomes more of a toss-up -- sometimes giving the nudge to the MIC over the MOD.
A shiny black top on a non-black vehicle can draw attention to itself -- especially when it doesn't match the other (non-glossy) black accents on the vehicle. A matte black top can offer contrast without drawing attention.
When I ordered my Sahara, I had the choice between a glossy vehicle-colored hardtop and a matte black HT. To me, the matte black was the better choice. It's a subtle contrast to the Crystal Granite Metallic of the vehicle, without drawing attention to itself. The Granite Crystal is so dark, that the black top helps to accentuate the fact that it's a dark gray vehicle, and not a black vehicle. I don't think I would have gone with a glossy black top though, had it been an option.

RBF 1401

Base
First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Avalon, 95 Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You’re talking about Wildtrak...

This blurb is present in at least BL and one other... so it’s not because it’s what’s standard.
I guess I'm not seeing what you guys are seeing. On any trim level this is what I see...
Ford Bronco Shadow Black Top - Now Live on Bronco Build & Price Screenshot_20210130-091835_Chrome

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

RBF 1401

Base
First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Avalon, 95 Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Weird...I can add it on the BD and I could swear it's listed on the options sheet for the BD too.
We’re talking about the black gloss painted grill and mirror caps that are included when you option the black mod top.

RBF 1401

Base
First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Avalon, 95 Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

We’re talking about the black gloss painted grill and mirror caps that are included when you option the black mod top.
Yes, we were talking do the caps and grill match the roof, but he's also pointing out the other weird thing, how B&P will let you add a Mod top to a Black Diamond even though that particular documentation says it's not available on Base and Black Diamond. ?

And I apologize, but I have to admit that as I typed "do the caps and grills match the roof" I suddenly remembered James Bond's line in Diamonds Are Forever when she asks if he preferred her as a Blond, Brunette, or Redhead...

To which he replied that it didn't matter "as long as the cuffs and collars match."?

t3n2and4

Badlands
First Name
VJ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands, F150, VW CC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Damn you! A great article explaining all the intricacies of these SMC tops, but now after finally thinking I was done with all the decisions I needed to make for the production of my Bronco, you have me questioning my original idea of ceramic sealing the Mod Top when I have the rest of the body sealed. Any idea if adding an additional sealant to a very intricate process will negatively affect the look and longevity of this top?
No, once it’s been cured and painted, the coating goes on top of the final automotive paint finish.

It’s no different than the panels that are Aluminum or the panels that are steel - when painted they look the same.

Examples: The EOS trunklid was painted like the rest of the car, the SportTrac’s bed looked just like the other panels.

MIC has heavy texture so it will need to be evaluated in a different way than a traditional painted surface. I don’t know if anyone has had success with it or not. But the MOD top will be a painted final outer surface so you can ceramic coat like you would other painted surfaces. The article was going into the process of taking it from raw components to a finished sheet that can then be formed into a top.

t3n2and4

Badlands
First Name
VJ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands, F150, VW CC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does our gut tell us the actually mean it? Or is it another mistake?
Sponsored