Reasonable Amount of Time to Wait for Order

Ric

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
How long do you think is reasonable to wait to get your truck after it’s been ordered? I, by nature, am a patient man. Nonetheless, as I start the 19th week of waiting for my truck, (stuck, “In Production”), I find myself scouring local inventory in search of a truck close to my specs. I’m thinking six months is long enough to wait before I shake my salesman’s hand and sayi goodbye. I can see waiting a tad longer if I had ordered closer to when the order system went live in August given the assembly line did not get going until late November. Thing is, I placed my order in mid November. Thoughts?
Sponsored

Last edited:

FLEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew
Vehicle Showcase
Quite a few on here have gone that route for the same reasons. I'd say you are under no obligation, might have to fight a little if you put a deposit down. Given it's pretty much a gentleman's agreement you might consider seeing if your dealer can do a dealer trade to get what you need so you both walk away happy. Either way, good luck!

technological_marvel

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shadow Black Ranger LARIAT FX4
Quite a few on here have gone that route for the same reasons. I'd say you are under no obligation, might have to fight a little if you put a deposit down. Given it's pretty much a gentleman's agreement you might consider seeing if your dealer can do a dealer trade to get what you need so you both walk away happy. Either way, good luck!
The $500 pre-order deposit was required by Ford for all pre-orders along with the other paperwork, and according to my dealer is fully refundable. If you get any fuss about it tell them you're going to talk to Ford corporate and see how quickly they change their tune.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
The $500 pre-order deposit was required by Ford for all pre-orders along with the other paperwork, and according to my dealer is fully refundable. If you get any fuss about it tell them you're going to talk to Ford corporate and see how quickly they change their tune.
I thought I heard some people didn't do a deposit? I did, but I swear I thought I remember reading some people did not. I thought the only requirement for the ROVP was the driver license scan and some sort of purchase contract signed?

FLEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew
Vehicle Showcase
I thought I heard some people didn't do a deposit? I did, but I swear I thought I remember reading some people did not. I thought the only requirement for the ROVP was the driver license scan and some sort of purchase contract signed?
^^^This... I didn't place a dime down, just provided my DL and signed a buyers order and make/model of my current vehicle. The buyers order clearly states at the bottom it is not a contract.

OP
OP

Ric

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
I really want the truck I ordered. I did all the negotiating on line before I set foot in the dealership. I even asked if I was to provide a deposit. I was told there was no deposit necessary. When I went in to order, they made a photocopy of my drivers license. Then the sales manager asked me for a deposit. I had left my checkbook at hone and offered a credit card or cash instead. After a brief discussion amongst themselves, they decided a deposit was not required. I like these folks. I just want my truck. The misinformation from the order tracking site and delays are extremely frustrating.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I really want the truck I ordered. I did all the negotiating on line before I set foot in the dealership. I even asked if I was to provide a deposit. I was told there was no deposit necessary. When I went in to order, they made a photocopy of my drivers license. Then the sales manager asked me for a deposit. I had left my checkbook at hone and offered a credit card or cash instead. After a brief discussion amongst themselves, they decided a deposit was not required. I like these folks. I just want my truck. The misinformation from the order tracking site and delays are extremely frustrating.
Totally understand. I've thought about trying to find one like the one I ordered, but none are close enough - I was very specific on what I wanted - I spent a couple months going back and forth on the options I wanted and it is rather unusual, so there aren't many out there. I did find a few that were close.

Anyway, after your post I went out and looked - I'm a little over 12 weeks now, with 3 more to go (if the tracker is correct). My truck was supposed to have been built on Saturday but thus far I have no "proof of life". Hopefully it will be coming soon. I guess it all boils down to how much you are attached to the options chose on your truck and how much you would be willing to pay for some things you don't really care about (if you can find one close to what you ordered).

Strokerduster

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger XLT, 2019 Edge ST, 1946 CJ2a street rod, shop full of motoorcycles
Vehicle Showcase
I have special ordered many in my life, including numerous new models and many ended up being long waits. In the Rangers case, mine took 6 months and 1 week. The time on this release is no different than any of my past experiences. What is different is the VIN tracker that Ford now makes available on the internet. The dealer has access to more accurate updates but the average consumer doesn't want to bother them daily. What kept me upset was updates going back and forth, giving you a countdown clock and then going to N/A, going from "in transit", back to "awaiting transport, etc. I personally would rather have no updates to being given false expectations. Bottom line is it was worth the wait for me but "Ford, if you are listening, Fix The F'in Vin Tracker or just turn it off".......

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I waited 8 months for my Focus ST, eventually I called my salesperson and asked them what was up, they told me it was built, and had "disappeared" from inventory on 8/28/2012 (we literally started a club called the 828 club as bunches of them disappeared). He said no worries, and found me another one within a week that was as good or better than the one I ordered, in the same color, and for about 100$ more (had a moonroof while mine did not). I'd call and work that angle, they can always sell yours later if/when it comes in.

pannwfn

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 fx4 level II
How long do you think is reasonable to wait to get your truck after it’s been ordered? I, by nature, am a patient man. Nonetheless, as I start the 19th week of waiting for my truck, (stuck, “In Production”,) I find myself scouring local inventory in search of a truck close to my specs. I’m thinking six months is long enough to wait before I shake my salesman’s hand and sayi goodbye. I can see waiting a tad longer if I had ordered closer to when the order system went live in August given the assembly line did not get going until late November. Thing is, I placed my order in mid November. Thoughts?
Six months and a few days. In production means it's built. The problem is shipping and I don't think Ford can do anything about that. This is a high demand and new gadget everyone wants one.

Reactions: Ric
OP
OP

Ric

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
Week #19 - Still, “In Production”. Tracker indicates the estimated delivery date is/was March 10th and every day another day is added to the number of days until delivery. Today,that number is 11. The excitement over getting my Ranger is starting to wane.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Week #19 - Still, “In Production”. Tracker indicates the estimated delivery date is/was March 10th and every day another day is added to the number of days until delivery. Today,that number is 11. The excitement over getting my Ranger is starting to wane.
How many weeks has it been in production? Wondering if yours is part of that big "Quality Hold" that happened around the beginning of Feb?

OP
OP

Ric

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
How many weeks has it been in production? Wondering if yours is part of that big "Quality Hold" that happened around the beginning of Feb?
It went into production on or about 2/11. I was told the truck has been delayed due to a steering wheel supply shortage.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It went into production on or about 2/11. I was told the truck has been delayed due to a steering wheel supply shortage.
I thought I had read that was not really a cause for delay. It seems like if there was a steering wheel shortage then no trucks could be getting built. Have you pushed your dealer on the real cause for the delay? Seems like some have had luck doing that.

OP
OP

Ric

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
I thought I had read that was not really a cause for delay. It seems like if there was a steering wheel shortage then no trucks could be getting built. Have you pushed your dealer on the real cause for the delay? Seems like some have had luck doing that.
I was provided an email from the plant to my dealership indicating it was a steering wheel supply disruption which was causing my truck from progressing in the build/delivery process.
Sponsored