Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Interested in what y’all think this could be. So I noticed that when I drive in 4H I will feel some shaking towards the front end. I won’t feel it in 2H, but when I switch to 4H I will feel it when I start to accelerate. Once I hit 2nd or 3rd gear it’s more than likely gone and I no longer feel it.
Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Might be related to the front drives haft recall. There's a thread here . Crawl under and look at the boot.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Which 4wd system do you have? (EDIT - It appears you have a Squatched Bronco ... therefore Advanced system)
Are you doing this on dry roads???

Advanced has a 4A setting, plus 4hi, 4lo and 2hi
Part Time 4x4 has 4hi, 4 low and 2hi.

The "part time 4x4" tranfer case should not be operated on dry roads. Only use in conditions where there is some amount of slip ... offroad dirt, mud, gravel or slippery (icy, snowy) conditions.

The Advanced system can operate in 4A for on-road use.
4 Hi should only be used off road, again, conditions with slip.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chisox0508

Chisox0508

Outer Banks
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Not enough information. What conditions are you using 4 Hi in?
I was using it on the road when accelerating from about 0-40 I’ll feel it, above that, not as much.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

From the owners manual ... (a Sasquatch Bronco has the ADVANCED SYSTEM)

4x4 With Part Time Engagement (If Equipped)
This system offers the driver two-wheel drive high, four-wheel drive high, and four-wheel drive low as available modes of operation.

When you select either four-wheel drive high or four-wheel drive low, the system provides mechanically locked four-wheel drive power to both the front and rear wheels for use in off-road or slippery conditions such as deep snow, sand or mud.

Selecting four-wheel drive low also provides additional gearing for increased torque multiplication for conditions like deep sand, steep slopes, or pulling heavy objects.
Additionally, the system is capable of recreational flat towing by putting the transfer case into neutral (N). See Recreationally Towing Your Vehicle - Automatic Transmission.

Advanced 4x4 With Automatic On Demand Engagement
This system monitors various vehicle sensory inputs to provide an increased level of performance. This system offers two-wheel drive high, four-wheel drive auto, four-wheel drive high, and four-wheel drive low as available modes of operation.

When you select four-wheel drive auto, the system continuously varies power to the front wheels for optimum performance for all on-road conditions.

When you select either four-wheel drive high or four-wheel drive low, the system provides electronically locked power to the front and rear wheels for use in off-road or slippery conditions such as deep snow, sand or mud.

Selecting four-wheel drive low also provides additional gearing for increased torque multiplication for conditions like deep sand, steep slopes, or pulling heavy objects.
Additionally, the system is capable of recreational flat towing by putting the transfer case into neutral (N). See Recreationally Towing Your Vehicle - Automatic

OP
OP
Chisox0508

Chisox0508

Outer Banks
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Which 4wd system do you have? (EDIT - It appears you have a Squatched Bronco ... therefore Advanced system)
Are you doing this on dry roads???

Advanced has a 4A setting, plus 4hi, 4lo and 2hi
Part Time 4x4 has 4hi, 4 low and 2hi.

The "part time 4x4" tranfer case should not be operated on dry roads. Only use in conditions where there is some amount of slip ... offroad dirt, mud, gravel or slippery (icy, snowy) conditions.

The Advanced system can operate in 4A for on-road use.
4 Hi should only be used off road, again, conditions with slip.
I have the advanced, full-time drive (sasquatch).

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have the advanced, full-time drive (sasquatch).
Gotcha, I edited the hell outta my posts after I looked closely at your profile pic.
Might wanna refresh the screen , lol.

In short, do not use 4 HI on the street, use 4A.

Sardine

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Elantra N - 6 speed & 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You shouldn't use 4H on the streets. In a straight line it would be ok but it will bind up your drivetrain if you turn at all. Also, a common misconception is that it's fine to use in the rain so don't do that either.

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
I was using it on the road when accelerating from about 0-40 I’ll feel it, above that, not as much.
Unless you were on a slippery surface, 4 Hi is uncalled for, you are just screwing things up mechanically. 4A is OK if you insist on having 4wd available if you need it. Dry roads and 4wd do not play well together...

Sponsored

Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
I presume that to be a paved road? As a few others said 4H isn't intended for the roads. Especially dry pavement. All sorts of binding (and damage) can occur especially if turning.

If anything, I am not sure why it gets smoother at higher speed. You going around any turns or just straight? It may be that at higher speeds and abnormalities become shorter and more frequent, so the average doesn't seem so bad.

Having had multiple 4WD vehicles, the only time I run 4H on the road is when there is snow. In snow there is plenty of slip. If the road was covered with mud/sand/gravel maybe. Dirt roads are fair game for 4H as well.

I sometimes use 4H for very short bits in the rain but pretty uncommon. These are when I am doing straight line acceleration from stop and I need the extra traction. Example, stopped at a light and 150ft ahead the road drops to a single lane and the car next to me at the light has been a left lane slow poke. I drop it into 4H for that extra traction to make sure I get ahead before the merge.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Interested in what y’all think this could be. So I noticed that when I drive in 4H I will feel some shaking towards the front end. I won’t feel it in 2H, but when I switch to 4H I will feel it when I start to accelerate. Once I hit 2nd or 3rd gear it’s more than likely gone and I no longer feel it.
Hi there, I'd be happy to look into your Bronco concerns on my end. Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into things on my end.

Butzy

Base
First Name
Butzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 & bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Nice whip. Keep it in 2wd unless the road is slippery otherwise parts are going to wear quickly and/or give up altogether

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The shaking is you binding the system up. There’s a reason we don’t use 4wd on pavement. That shaking you described is you destroying your drive train.

OP
OP
Chisox0508

Chisox0508

Outer Banks
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yeah I don’t make it a habit by any means to use 4H or 4A on the street. It was just a very wet day so I figured I switch to slippery GOAT setting (4A) to see if it made any difference (4A) and that’s when I noticed it. I switched to 4H at some point to see if anything changed with what was going on.
Sponsored