Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X7, Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have the distinct pleasure (not) to sit in a lot of meetings and have started to keep a list of the various cringe-worthy jargon I hear.

Here are a few current favorites to start us out.

“Pull on that string for me” - my old boss used to say this when someone would make a statement and he was looking for more detail/context.

“I’m not going to drain this slide” - when a presenter has a slide they’re presenting that usually is an “eye chart” with way too much content meaning they’re not going to discuss every detail on the slide.
Sponsored

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Where I work you better get used to using, knowing and hearing a lot of TLAs. Three Letter Acronyms.

RG7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B8 A4, 2018 Triumph Street Triple R
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Running list pulled directly from my phone notes

“Keep that top of mind” = one of 98 other things mentioned on this call that is, you guessed it, extremely important for you to remember.

“That’s gonna be a best practice” = how you should do it.

“We need to position this” = maneuver around the issue/individual/organization because we can’t just come out and say whatever it is we’re trying to do.

“Team, we need to watch our KPI’s” = Key Performance Indicators, nothing wrong with keeping your metrics up, but this TLA gets used waaaay too much.

“Opportunity” = something you screwed up but I’m not allowed to tell you that you shat the bed on this so I have to say it’s an opportunity for growth instead.

“We’ll circle back to that” = Hey pal, you’ve spent the last 10 minutes on this call of 30+ people discussing an issue with the presenter that literally only affects you and wasting everyone’s time. Kindly mute yourself and figure it out on your own time.

“I’ll be candid with you” = I’m saying something that has the SLIGHTEST chance of someone, somewhere; disagreeing with me, and want to cover my ass so I can avoid conflict.

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

“Keep that top of mind” = one of 98 other things mentioned on this call that is, you guessed it, extremely important for you to remember.

“We need to position this” = maneuver around the issue/individual/organization because we can’t just come out and say whatever it is we’re trying to do.

“Team, we need to watch our KPI’s” = Key Performance Indicators, nothing wrong with keeping your metrics up, but this TLA gets used waaaay too much.

“Opportunity” = something you screwed up but I’m not allowed to tell you that you shat the bed on this so I have to say it’s an opportunity for growth instead.

“We’ll circle back to that” = Hey pal, you’ve spent the last 10 minutes on this call of 30+ people discussing an issue with the presenter that literally only affects you and wasting everyone’s time. Kindly mute yourself and figure it out on your own time.

“I’ll be candid with you” = I’m saying something that has the SLIGHTEST chance of someone, somewhere; disagreeing with me, and want to cover my ass so I can avoid conflict.
Hmmmm NC as well....99% sure this man works in Finance. I don't but hear all of these from all of my banker friends when they take phone calls.

Reactions: RG7

Sponsored

lowmpg

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

"down range"

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can you add some color.

KPI, ROI...evergreen...Along with any 3-5 letter acronym.

Kind of related my old boss a few years ago found a conference call bingo sheet. We would play along on various calls and at random someone would call out bingo.

Synergies

Joined at the hip

OP
OP
Ft. Worth Rob

Ft. Worth Rob

Outer Banks
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X7, Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Opportunity! I always love that one. Everything is so PC. It’s especially funny because I told my boss and peers “we really shit the bed on that one”, got chastised by my boss for saying shit and no one in the room said they’d ever heard that before. Lesson learned.

Reactions: RG7

Sponsored

rgwinn

First Edition
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘62 Vette
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I too used to sit in on a lot of meetings, I was a Risk Management consultant for large scale IT projects; I made this up at one point for teleconferences;
Ford Bronco Share your favorite business jargon F92651B7-62E1-4183-804C-1F8902EA05D9

Granger Ford

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Car lingo, "I can go another nickel on the deal"....means $500 but really offends people who take it literally...

Prior dealership "they are all walking wallets and it is our job to empty them" self explanatory and a main reason I quit them...

"even a blind hog finds an acorn" Lucky...

The old standby "even a broken clock is right twice a day"

GYMEBronco22

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Focus RS
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Lets blue sky this... (lets hear your wacky n wild ideas - nothings to zany for this crazzzeee meeting..)
Run this up the flag pole...(tentatively put this out there to see what the reaction is)
Circle back (re-visit this later)
Provide some color (more details needed
Hard stop (this meeting will HAVE to end at X time etc - 'I have a hard stop at 11.00')
Deep dive (need more details)
Touch base / best practice
Hit the ground running
etc etc etc

It goes on and on. You can literally makeup your own stupid saying and insert it into a conference call or meeting and everyones too scared to question the meaning incase they look like they are 'out of the loop'.......

'Yeah, erm Dave and I will need to stretch the legs on that idea, and test its cross platform synergies to confirm they vibe....' :unsure:
Sponsored

Last edited: