l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Maybe I'm wrong, but this is my thought with reaching out to dealers. The smaller town dealers who don't do quite the volume as the big ones would get a bigger benefit by a volume spike. But they also have to worry about if they could process the volume.

They have to decide if making a little/nothing off each Bronco, but the high volume would benefit their rebates on their other sales, is worth it. Also think they would take into account possible profits on trade-ins.

But then again, I'm just a finance guy, not a car dealer.
granger does a pretty good explanation in their thread.
essentially, they get perks from ford for being a volume dealer
which outweigh the minor gains from squeezing individual customers
for every last penny.
Sponsored

Daytona_Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I purchase most of my cars out of state. Have you ever purchase anything out of state? Same difference. It is just a purchase.

Not sure why people are concerned about buying cars out of state.
... my skepticism was towards the drive to/from etc as its 12 hrs away and according to delivery dates will be in my busiest season at work. Not regarding the purchase process or dealer concerns .. however I can understand where your coming from .. it reads that way ...

fraserjr

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Usually the one's offering way below MSRP do this all the time. They make more money selling high volume than they would selling many less units at a higher profit. Koons is a perfect example. They sell Wranglers all day long for 6-10% under MSRP. People fly in from around the country to buy from them because the deals are so good. It's funny though knowing this and then hearing they already said they were selling Broncos for over MSRP. Don't know what their end game is on this one.
That's how I got my 2014 Grand Cherokee from Tysons Koons. 7% below invoice - huge volume group buy that was set up through the jeepgarage forums. I tried to do that with several of the local Virginia Ford dealers and they either didn't respond, said no, or said we can't match Granger/Stevens.

SpecOpsHippie

Wildtrak
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Denali 2500HD, Audi Q5, Triumph Bonneville
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I worked for a bank in operations before I started flying gunships in the Army. We used to get the actual bank draft from dealers for each vehicle they bought from the factory . Each vehicle had its own draft with the VIN# in the comments of the draft. This was the early 90’s and it was Chrysler not Ford. But, even then when a loaded Cherokee was $22k, the price difference at which they would allow me to walk away for a specific vehicle was 2-3 grand. Over 10% still left after I had negotiated considerably below invoice. Fun experiment.

Sponsored

Compta38

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Given the complete and utter transparency of Granger do you really think you are going to get screwed?

Most dealers won't even respond once and Granger has 1300+ post here.
The issue is there very well could be alot that is beyond their control especially as flaky as Ford has been. I'll just happily not take my chances and get my X-Plan pricing.

lowmpg

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Usually the one's offering way below MSRP do this all the time. They make more money selling high volume than they would selling many less units at a higher profit. Koons is a perfect example. They sell Wranglers all day long for 6-10% under MSRP. People fly in from around the country to buy from them because the deals are so good. It's funny though knowing this and then hearing they already said they were selling Broncos for over MSRP. Don't know what their end game is on this one.
Agreed, your best deal always comes from a high-volume dealer. When I was buying F150s I'd go to the same place every time because they constantly moved F150s (so the deals were great). Even on my Super Duty, I walked in looking to pay like 60k, left in the 2013 for under 50k. Volume matters more than promises.

Garemlin

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Agreed, your best deal always comes from a high-volume dealer. When I was buying F150s I'd go to the same place every time because they constantly moved F150s (so the deals were great). Even on my Super Duty, I walked in looking to pay like 60k, left in the 2013 for under 50k. Volume matters more than promises.

The caveat with buying from a high dollar dealer is it doesn't always work out great if you have a trade. They lowball the hell out of you because there is no wiggle room in the vehicle you are buying to put a bigger number on your trade. So you may walk in thinking you have equity in your trade. But when they put it on paper you could have thousands in negative equity.

lowmpg

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The caveat with buying from a high dollar dealer is it doesn't always work out great if you have a trade. They lowball the hell out of you because there is no wiggle room in the vehicle you are buying to put a bigger number on your trade. So you may walk in thinking you have equity in your trade. But when they put it on paper you could have thousands in negative equity.
Luckily for me, I don't have a trade.

elmystico

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser, 1990 Toyota pickup, 2021 Audi Q8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

All dealers know how the system works, and that their holdback -- between 2% and 3% for Broncos -- is determined by sales volume. They hit a sales number determined by Ford and their holdback increases from 2 to 3%. Then as Ford begins sending inventory to dealer lots down the road, the dealers with high sales figures will receive more inventory for their lots. They can sell these at any price they want. The dealers with big sales figures already aren't so worried about whether they will attract enough to boost their holdback. Or if they will win Ford awards for lights-out sales figures and absolutely outstanding customer service.

It seems to me that a lot comes down to greed -- how much holdback they want to surrender in order to attract more buyers. Are they willing to pay their staff to work that many more buyers?

But buyers are like flies, and at least with Granger, Stephens and Leonardtown, they are smart enough to know that when you aren't in a huge population center, they can attract waaaaay more flies with honey than vinegar. So, the more reservations they can attract, the better.

Sponsored

JPNC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 BMW 335i
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Stephens/Granger is a sweet deal indeed. But aside from their web posting, do any folks here have any actual experience with them in buying a vehicle?
I have bought from Stephens.

siddious33

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee; 2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I shopped the Stephens deal with my local dealership here in NC. Email reply was they would match it. Going to get that in writing before the deadline to swap dealers.
What dealer? I’m in NC too and haven’t switched yet in the hopes that some NC dealer would see the light?

BDub

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport FE, F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

And that's why if you have a trade you go to Carmax or contact Carvana before walking in to the dealer to pick up your Bronco.

Granger Ford

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When the "wiggle room" is taken out you are not lowballed, you just see the real value of the vehicle not an inflated value...

Inflated value is where the dealer takes some of the "wiggle room" and adds it to the wholesale and comes up with "equity"...

You are much better off to deal cost to cost then you have the real deal...

Bottom line is the easiest way to tell if the deal is good...how many $$ have to come out of my pocket (amount financed)...
Sponsored