First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Audi a4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hey guys just wanting some input. I have an order for a 4dr black diamond 2.7 non sas. At the moment I do not have the option for the 4A, only 2wd, 4L and 4H.
Does anyone have any advice on whether I should have my dealer add 4A to my order?
Sponsored

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
4A can be useful if you drive in a lot of snow or black ice. Of course, you have to shift it into 4A before you hit the black ice.

And maybe the first rain in September after it hasn't rained for half the year and all the oil turns the streets into a frictionless nightmare.

Your location says Torrence. So, I personally would not drop the extra coin on the Advanced transfer case.

OP
OP

EvBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Audi a4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
4A can be useful if you drive in a lot of snow or black ice. Of course, you have to shift it into 4A before you hit the black ice.

And maybe the first rain in September after it hasn't rained for half the year and all the oil turns the streets into a frictionless nightmare.

Your location says Torrence. So, I personally would not drop the extra coin on the Advanced transfer case.
That was my thought as well. I’m planning to move to another location in the country in a few months with far more rain. I’ve never had trouble driving other RWD cars in the rain but I didn’t know if it would be worth it or not you know?

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’ve never had trouble driving other RWD cars in the rain but I didn’t know if it would be worth it or not you know?
Only had mine for 4 weeks, and it hasn't rained yet.

I'd much rather have a posi rear end than 4A, but that's not an option on the Bronco. All my cars except one have been RWD. Only time I ever lost control was in a 69 F-250 where the rear swung around and again, no posi rear.

Sponsored

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Unless you're moving to a snowy climate, as previously mentioned, I wouldn't add it.
Even for the rain situations...traction control is probably going to be more than sufficient.
We get a decent amount of rain (and snow) here and I've rarely, if ever, found a need to run 4A in a downpour, even in previous pickup trucks that I've owned.

Edit: not sure why this warrants a sad reaction; sorry my use case experience differs from yours, I guess. Still seems a bit silly to add just for 'rainy days' unless adding other desired hardware forces it on you.

Last edited:

mountainbronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
And, many people dont understand the little issue with equal tire tread/size.

If you have and use 4A, you cant just buy one new tire (like with a blowout or other single tire failure)

I had a Volvo once with 4A, at the time Ford owned Volvo, and when 1 tire failed you had to replace all 4 or it would fry the mechanics.......

It constantly measures each tires rotation and when one is always faster ir slower.....

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Cheap and lower 4lo...

Garemlin

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It was one option that I wouldn't do without. I don't live in an area with high snowfall. But it's also very useful in wet conditions. Also for the occasional snow here it will be very useful. We live out in the sticks and roads are prone to drifting snow. You constantly see it go from completely clear to ice packed in a split second. Switch it to 4a and don't have to worry about constantly switching back and forth from 2h to 4h.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I prefer the 4A for snow and mixed conditions. It’s still early to tell, but it may be a more durable option as well. Many people don’t mention, 4H on ice and snow, particularly braking and overall handling, introduces some odd handling characteristics in certain situations, because the front and rear axles cannot differentiate speed. For rain alone, probably not that useful. The traction control is very good.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'd recommend to abide by the KISS principle. Don't get something because you think it will lead to higher resale. Traction control on wet surfaces is more than sufficient presuming you are familiar with driving RWD vehicles.

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
4A is the unsung hero of advanced transfer case. Love it in mine, set it and forget it, driving between snow covered and dry roads without worry.

No need to get out and lock the hubs in up front. I digress, I'm old school...

bhb

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I didn't get it, and don't after one (moderate winter) didn't miss it, but put it in the 'nice to have' box. There you go. I have no issue driving in full time 4 hi in the snow, but it would be a nice option to send my wife out in, or for mixed snow/wet driving.

uncledoodoo

Everglades
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 XJ, 56 F100, 11 Volvo XC90, Everglades
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

Its not just for slippery roads. When you shift into sport mode, it goes to 4A.
Sponsored