Sponsored

Should I order soft-top only to speed it up? Does it cost more to buy a hard top later?

VailDan

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D Badlands(2023)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I still have not ordered a Bronco because I really wanted to wait and see them first. My dealer is telling me that they are being told by Ford that soft tops are recommended and going to be filled much faster. If that helps me get one in 1 year, instead of 2 years, etc. then that is what I would want to do, but I would want both tops at some point anyway. Would love to get the nicer painted hardtop that has better acoustics as well, but at this point I can not be that picky. I know no one probably has any ideas on how long it will take to Ford to fill a new order with soft top only, but do you guys think the dealer/ford will charge me additional money to buy the factory hard top at a later date? Always seems like those prices jump an additional $2k when not ordered with the vehicle.
Sponsored

e90steve

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I would expect a hardtop to be much more $$$ down the road. It def is when you purchase a Jeep without one.

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hardtop costs $695. I would expect it to be 4-5 times more expensive buying it later. It will probably take 2 years. I would order what you want now.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Mopar JL hardtop through Quadratec is 3250 + 200 in shipping for textured black and 3400 for paintable primered. So that is your competitive baseline, but I would think it will be more like 4000 for the MIC delivered all said and done.

This versus waiting for the MIC and buying a Bestop TrekTop for 1580 to 2230 plus shipping.

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

what has been said on the forum/announced by ford:

late 22 is the earliest you can get a standalone oem mic and the guess is 3-4k including freight

there is no timeline or price to get a oem mod top. seeing that at some point in 22 the mod will ship with a vehicle and no idea when they will be customer facing. also assume if the mod was originally 1895 and mic 695 expect the mod, shipped without a vehicle, to be 4-5k+.

maybe you get lucky with a third party. bottom line is i wouldn't bank on a top being available until late 22-23 and expect 3-5k+ price tag at a minimum. i'd only do soft if you can truly live with that for a few years.

Sponsored
OP
OP
VailDan

VailDan

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D Badlands(2023)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for the feedback and this is exactly what I was thinking. If I knew that I could get a softtop in 6 months then I would order one with only softtop, but think i might order one with both. Just so much nicer having hardtop in winter. I could certainly wait on the hardtop, but if it is a lot more ordering it down the road then probably better off ordering it now since there is no clue in the wait differential

OP
OP
VailDan

VailDan

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D Badlands(2023)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Now I am reading that if you order both the softtop and hardtop, that they will not wire electrical for hardtop. Does anyone know if that is true of the 2 door, which is showing the softtop as aftermarket anyway? I would not think it would because I think Ford would take that build, throw the hardtop on, and throw the aftermarket top in the back, but that is a guess.

I cannot be adding/removing the hardtop easily in the summer. I am thinking that I can order the hard top and maybe only keep the 1 piece that covers the driver and front passenger in the very back while driving around? Maybe it fits in there nicely and can be popped up against the back of the back seats or at an angle so it does not stick out too much? Then throw that on when dealing with rain and let the backseat get rained in? Not sure how heavy that is and if it fits in the back, but if not maybe I get a soft bikini top to deal with rain in summers instead.

peta8368

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Polaris Slingshot
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Now I am reading that if you order both the softtop and hardtop, that they will not wire electrical for hardtop. Does anyone know if that is true of the 2 door, which is showing the softtop as aftermarket anyway? I would not think it would because I think Ford would take that build, throw the hardtop on, and throw the aftermarket top in the back, but that is a guess.
You cannot get a soft-top for the 2 door, so there is no way to order a soft-top hoping for quicker delivery

Also, Ford has stated that all 4 door soft-top orders starting with September build (pretty much anything that hasn't been scheduled already) will have hard-top prep kit, which includes the wiper fluid hookup, the wiper and defrost electronics hookup, and the associated controls.

OP
OP
VailDan

VailDan

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D Badlands(2023)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You cannot get a soft-top for the 2 door, so there is no way to order a soft-top hoping for quicker delivery

Also, Ford has stated that all 4 door soft-top orders starting with September build (pretty much anything that hasn't been scheduled already) will have hard-top prep kit, which includes the wiper fluid hookup, the wiper and defrost electronics hookup, and the associated controls.
Thanks for that response - The 2 door is showing an available external option of a softtop for $2229, but like I mentioned in the post it is saying aftermarket(bestop). When I go to Bestop website I do not see that option, so I was going to go ahead and order it with the bronco and knowing that the wiring for the hardtops is going to start being done on all future Bronocs is super helpful

Mikesmallcrawler21

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 F150 screw
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Send my 2 door in the raw!!! No top!! I can buy a soft top from Bestop!!
Sponsored