Sponsored

Should I repair the paint damage on my FE?

TheeBullhead

First Edition
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler Crossfire
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Looking to get some advice on repairing some paint damage that occurred during transit on my 4-Door FE.

The damage is some chipping on the front fender, near the hood, and on the back fender near the rear door, all on the driver’s side of the vehicle. Because of the location of the paint chips, they are going to need to blend the new paint with the hood, fenders, and both doors. This will also include removing then replacing the FE badging on the fenders, hood and doors.

Because this happened during transit to my dealer, the dealer is covering the cost if the work is done by a certified Ford shop, but I really wondering if the risk of the repair quality is worth the reward of repairing some paint chips. The paint damage looks worse in the pictures than it does in real life.

I’ve only had experience with paint repair once before on another vehicle 10 years ago, performed by a dealer shop, and it was horrendous. That’s really where my concerns are coming from.

What do y’all think?

IMG-0107.jpg

IMG-0106.jpg
Sponsored

SZairborne

Big Bend
First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Dodge charger GT AWD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Technology has changed a bit for painting in the last 10 years. Id let the dealer take care of it. Then if something goes wrong down the road you can place blame on them. If you do it yourself, and it rusts or something happens. Its on you.

Panaran

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CX5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Just my opinion, but I would never accept a brand new car with paint chips. Make Ford repair it, and if comes back shitty, make them repair it again. If they still can't make it right, lemon law it and walk away. Those paint chips severely decrease the value of an FE. Even if they don't look bad right now IRL, those chips have no clearcoat or other protection on them and will flake off and get bigger over time. I would absolutely have them fix it.

If it makes you feel any more at ease, there were two paint chips in my OBX on the lower corner of the passenger side door. Dealer repaired them and I can't even tell they were there.

LagoCJ

Raptor
First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BRaptor and GMC Canyon AT4X
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I agree...get it repaired and make sure that they know you will be checking it over with a microscope to make sure the paint matches perfectly and that Ford will stand behind it as if it was never repainted. Hold their feet to the fire and if its not perfect the first time...make them redo it.

Sponsored

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just my opinion, but I would never accept a brand new car with paint chips. Make Ford repair it, and if comes back shitty, make them repair it again. If they still can't make it right, lemon law it and walk away. Those paint chips severely decrease the value of an FE. Even if they don't look bad right now IRL, those chips have no clearcoat or other protection on them and will flake off and get bigger over time. I would absolutely have them fix it.

If it makes you feel any more at ease, there were two paint chips in my OBX on the lower corner of the passenger side door. Dealer repaired them and I can't even tell they were there.
I mostly agree, but I'm sure it's still worth MSRP

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
MSRP is very devalued for an FE.
To the impractical who add on the intangible and the ephemeral to a speculative price, but the FE is not a value above MSRP without the hype. It's just as ridiculous as limited edition sneakers or beanie babies. I love that Ford has almost brought the Bronco back to the masses, but we can disagree.

Panaran

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CX5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
To the impractical who add on the intangible and the ephemeral to a speculative price, but the FE is not a value above MSRP without the hype. It's just as ridiculous as limited edition sneakers or beanie babies. I love that Ford has almost brought the Bronco back to the masses, but we can disagree.
That all sounds fancy, but reality is there absolutely is a market for these Broncos right now where people are paying well over MSRP for them. It doesn't matter if you think it's ridiculous or not, and I'm not sure I would even disagree with you there, but premiums are being put on in demand cars in the auto industry right now, that's a fact. We've seen FE's go for $120k recently at auto auctions, and while not a typical price, the value is still much more than the MSRP. There are people that will gladly pay over MSRP for an FE right now, and OPs level of paint defects would absolutely make a difference to the value of the car.

Sponsored

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Get it fixed is my vote. I can’t really tell what color it is on my phone. The only concern I’d have if it’s a three stage or tinted clear coat color those can be tricky but any good painter can get it correct. Does it suck yuu have to go thru it? Yes but I wouldn’t accept it on my $50k plus OBX let alone a FE that I’m sure is higher priced. Have it done properly and have a vehicle you can be proud of. Not one when you show people and have to say it’s nice but look how it showed up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheeBullhead

TheeBullhead

First Edition
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler Crossfire
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Follow-up question...

So, the shop/dealer that I'm looking at to do the work, not the one paying for the work, seems to be trying to talk me out of getting it painted.

Is this just Ford looking out for Ford?

The estimator has given me a handful of reasons he wouldn't do it if it was his. The most valid seems to be concerns with getting parts in a timely manner.

OP
OP
TheeBullhead

TheeBullhead

First Edition
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler Crossfire
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Get it fixed is my vote. I can’t really tell what color it is on my phone. The only concern I’d have if it’s a three stage or tinted clear coat color those can be tricky but any good painter can get it correct. Does it suck yuu have to go thru it? Yes but I wouldn’t accept it on my $50k plus OBX let alone a FE that I’m sure is higher priced. Have it done properly and have a vehicle you can be proud of. Not one when you you people you have to say it’s nice but look how it showed up.
It's Area 51.

Rednek

Black Diamond
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco BD/2023 Maverick XLT/02 F150/68 Torino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

they just trying to bail on making it right
Ford Bronco Should I repair the paint damage on my FE? dog poo

andrusoid

Base
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Outback, '79 2G, '89 3G, '92 5G White!
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Looking to get some advice on repairing some paint damage that occurred during transit on my 4-Door FE.

The damage is some chipping on the front fender, near the hood, and on the back fender near the rear door, all on the driver’s side of the vehicle. Because of the location of the paint chips, they are going to need to blend the new paint with the hood, fenders, and both doors. This will also include removing then replacing the FE badging on the fenders, hood and doors.

Because this happened during transit to my dealer, the dealer is covering the cost if the work is done by a certified Ford shop, but I really wondering if the risk of the repair quality is worth the reward of repairing some paint chips. The paint damage looks worse in the pictures than it does in real life.

I’ve only had experience with paint repair once before on another vehicle 10 years ago, performed by a dealer shop, and it was horrendous. That’s really where my concerns are coming from.

What do y’all think?

Just like @TheDoctor said, git'r'dun. Unless you like the rust under paint look... Frankly, I might've told them to do full sidepanel / door repaint.
Sponsored