Sponsored

Should I Sell My 74 Now That I Have My New Bronco?

Colorado buff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner 2000, Mini Cooper convertible
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
My hope is my future grandkids get ours. It’s the first and only vehicle I’ve owned that has appreciated in value. That’s not gonna change. If you’re gonna park the money in a savings account…it’s a basic time value of money decision.
True but you can do better in the capital markets or real estate and your grandkids would love those left to them as well. Still giving a 20 year old a classic could be a cool thing too.
Sponsored

72BroncoSand

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 Bronco, 77 f-150, Jetta Tdi, 1ton
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Nope, keep it. She is a looker. Hard to know what your grandkids will be interested in in a few years. But wouldn’t it be the best memory for them to turn wrenches with you when they get a bit older. You can use this time to share with them the knowledge you have acquired and all the stories. Priceless. It is tempting. I’ve got to admit selling my 72 has creeped into my mind a few times when I see how much they are selling for. Nope I won’t do it ever.

Haystack

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Your Bronco Model
Base
Once all us old farts are gone, the classic car market is going to take a dive as today's 24 to 36 crowd just doesn't want them.
Yeah.. no, I gotta disagree with you on that comment. There's a lot of younger people into classic cars, it's just juggling other priorities first such as careers, buying a house, starting a family, etc. Not to mention the financial costs of getting into a classic today.

bdub2you

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There is a MASSIVE bubble in the vintage Broncos right now. I would definitely be selling it and then buy it back later when the bubble pops. I've already sold off my car collection this year because the prices are insane so I only have a daily driver left, and that will be out the door as soon as the bronco is in my driveway.

Sponsored

1975U15

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-350 SD, 1975 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

True but you can do better in the capital markets or real estate and your grandkids would love those left to them as well. Still giving a 20 year old a classic could be a cool thing too.
Anyone can pass down money. How many can pass down a first generation Bronco?

1975U15

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

There is a MASSIVE bubble in the vintage Broncos right now. I would definitely be selling it and then buy it back later when the bubble pops. I've already sold off my car collection this year because the prices are insane so I only have a daily driver left, and that will be out the door as soon as the bronco is in my driveway.
Respectfully disagree.

andrusoid

Base
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Outback, '79 2G, '89 3G, '92 5G White!
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yeah.. no, I gotta disagree with you on that comment. There's a lot of younger people into classic cars, it's just juggling other priorities first such as careers, buying a house, starting a family, etc. Not to mention the financial costs of getting into a classic today.
I stand corrected. I was going on the numbers reported for car buying in general. probably constrained by economical issues as you note. It is a vastly different environment today. Not that long ago you could get a decent gen 3-5 Bronco for 5-10k, now it's just nutty.

1975U15

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Disagree with what exactly?
Short answer: EB’s in “MASSIVE bubble”

Longer answer: Won’t get into but has a lot to do with the effort of global governments to eliminate ICE vehicles from face of planet.

There was roughly 225k EB’s produced. Who knows how many worthwhile examples left. Numbers matching original units will continue to increase in value. Much like many American icons long term.

Might also add, owning a vehicle isn’t always about what I bought if for and what I might get one day.

From an investment standpoint. Sounds like you’ve made a bet. Maybe it works out for you, maybe it doesn’t. Predicting bubbles is a rough business.

Sponsored

bdub2you

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Short answer: EB’s in “MASSIVE bubble”

Longer answer: Won’t get into but has a lot to do with the effort of global governments to eliminate ICE vehicles from face of planet.

There was roughly 225k EB’s produced. Who knows how many worthwhile examples left. Numbers matching original units will continue to increase in value. Much like many American icons long term.

Might also add, owning a vehicle isn’t always about what I bought if for and what I might get one day.

From an investment standpoint. Sounds like you’ve made a bet. Maybe it works out for you, maybe it doesn’t. Predicting bubbles is a rough business.
Fair enough. I'd only say that identifying bubbles is actually pretty easy. Knowing how big they'll get and when they'll pop is incredibly hard. Now if you had just said "owning a vehicle isn’t always about what I bought if for and what I might get one day" I'd be in complete agreement.

bigblueboing

Black Diamond
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Two things you never sell.
classic cars and real estate.
Stocks bonds investments lexuses come and go but old friends will always be with us.
when I’m old after I get my new bronco you’ll have to rip it from my cold dead hands. Might as well bury me in it.

1975U15

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Fair enough. I'd only say that identifying bubbles is actually pretty easy. Knowing how big they'll get and when they'll pop is incredibly hard. Now if you had just said "owning a vehicle isn’t always about what I bought if for and what I might get one day" I'd be in complete agreement.
Sound good sir. No disrespect with your opinion. I just happen to think it’s difficult predicting/identifying much of anything with certainty is as you say, easy. Maybe death and taxes😉

TxBronc

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 bronco,2006 Tacoma,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No, it will never depreciate. I'm considering forgoing the new and putting more in my 72. As my daily.

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you were 71 you might have a little different perspective on things. I also have a 2004 Sonic Blue Lightning and a 29 Tudor.
Looking at your list of cars, I was thinking that the 74 Bronco might not be missed when the new one arrives. You already have two other hobby vehicles in the garage.

I sold the 87 in my avatar to my best friend in AZ when I moved because I had a 2021 on order. After owing it for 23 years it was hard to let it go, but it was the logical decision. I loved it like family, but I just wasn’t using it enough to justify keeping it. The cross country move changed my mindset to not letting the things I owned own me. I was maintaining a 2500 diesel truck, car hauler trailer, and a garage/shed full of spare parts and tools for supporting the Bronco. Once the decision was made I sold the 2500, trailer, some of my heavier tools (welder, plasma, hydraulic press, 80 gallon compressor, etc) and finally the 87 Bronco rather than move it all 3000 miles. I also sold my 2020 Raptor, 2015 VW Touareg TDI, 2015 Passat TDI. We moved without any cars (new job gave me a truck) and leased a 2021 Tacoma in January after it became clear the Bronco wasn’t coming for a while.

When I got to Massachusetts I started boat shopping. I used my new to me boat more this summer than I had used my 87 Bronco in the past 2 years. I’m guessing my 2021 (or 2022?) Bronco will be well loved moving forward, but I don’t anticipate having it 23 years like my 87. I plan on selling the 2021 with manual transmission to one of my buddy’s sons as their first car in 7-9 years.
Sponsored