Sponsored

Should I Trade my 22 Wrangler for a Bronco?

OP
OP
shnider10

shnider10

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Chevy Impala
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sounds like you got a Bronco itch you need to scratch. If every time you see a Bronco, you get a little envious, get the Bronco.

Buying a car is more of an emotional buy than a pragmatic one for most people. I love my Bronco. I know many Jeep people that love their Wrangler. Nothing wrong with keeping your Jeep until you know for sure you want the Bronco.
I have a Aug. 2021 reservation. Iā€™m just weighing my options. Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP
shnider10

shnider10

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Chevy Impala
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is the friendliest Jeep post Iā€™ve seen on here. Lol
Yeah I follow along on both forumsā€¦ I was expecting this to be brutal and a lot of trolls, but it has actually been informative. Lol

OP
OP
shnider10

shnider10

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Chevy Impala
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is just not true, I hate to break it to you, but i have a '21 JL, and I could sell it right now for more than I bought it for 10 months and 8000 miles ago. Jeep has high volume dealers with prices 6-8% below invoice, factor in the still inflated used market, and well........you are just wrong on this (for now).

Now back to the OP - I'm honestly debating the same. I think the Bronco is actually more oriented to someone like me, I like off-roading, but I'm not generally in a lot of rock climbing, etc. mostly forest roads and beach. I've had a JK and now JL, because I have to have a vehicle i can rinse out because I'm on the beach 250 days a year with gear (kiteboards, surfboards, foils, etc.). So the Bronco with MGV/rubberized flooring suits me even more.

I"m on the fence to be honest, and the main thing right now differentiating the two is the fact that the JK and JL (so far) have been absolutely rock solid. I abused, and I mean abused my JK and it just kept going. JL so far I've already had some adventures in, no issues.

Now - I have a reservation from May '21 for a Bronco, so......I'm not locked into MY21 pricing, but I better be locked into MY22, and my dealer did invoice pricing, so my Badlands model is roughly $47k OTD, exactly what Driveway or Carmax would pay for my JL right now.
Iā€™m basically in the exact same predicament. MSRP is 60K on this one, and I bought it at 53K so Iā€™m not worried about the resale.
I have an August 2021 reservation 99 status at the moment at $1K below invoice dealer. Iā€™m just trying to decide what to do. I really love my Jeep, but the Bronco is awesome as well.
I use it for pretty much the same uses as you minus the beach. A lot of light trails, outdoor adventuring, and camping. My fiancĆ© has entertained the idea of trading her TRD off road 4Runner for it, so Iā€™m not sure.

airishfan

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This is just not true, I hate to break it to you, but i have a '21 JL, and I could sell it right now for more than I bought it for 10 months and 8000 miles ago. Jeep has high volume dealers with prices 6-8% below invoice, factor in the still inflated used market, and well........you are just wrong on this (for now).

Now back to the OP - I'm honestly debating the same. I think the Bronco is actually more oriented to someone like me, I like off-roading, but I'm not generally in a lot of rock climbing, etc. mostly forest roads and beach. I've had a JK and now JL, because I have to have a vehicle i can rinse out because I'm on the beach 250 days a year with gear (kiteboards, surfboards, foils, etc.). So the Bronco with MGV/rubberized flooring suits me even more.

I"m on the fence to be honest, and the main thing right now differentiating the two is the fact that the JK and JL (so far) have been absolutely rock solid. I abused, and I mean abused my JK and it just kept going. JL so far I've already had some adventures in, no issues.

Now - I have a reservation from May '21 for a Bronco, so......I'm not locked into MY21 pricing, but I better be locked into MY22, and my dealer did invoice pricing, so my Badlands model is roughly $47k OTD, exactly what Driveway or Carmax would pay for my JL right now.
I have seen a few used Jeep Willys advertise at local jeep dealerships and there price on them keep dropping .Dont think Ford locked people into MY22 pricing not unless your dealership going give you MY22 MSRP

AJKitebrder40

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco Badlands 2D SAS, Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have seen a few used Jeep Willys advertise at local jeep dealerships and there price on them keep dropping .Dont think Ford locked people into MY22 pricing not unless your dealership going give you MY22 MSRP
Yeah, they said initially my pricing would be locked in at that point ('22 order) but who knows. Far as pricing, I really don't pay any attention to what any vehicle costs on a lot. I've never just walked into a dealer and bought a vehicle, it was always an order of exactly what I (or my wife) wanted and then using forums to find whoever the most cost-effective dealer was.

One reason why I went ahead and ordered my JL (other than my JK had 188k miles on it) was that I could go ahead and make an order at 8% below invoice.

At the end of the day the cost, with what the OP and I are talking isn't that big a difference between the Jeep and Bronco, comes down to what you want. And believe me I go back and forth daily, it helps my neighbor has a Bronco ironically enough (luckily in a color/build I don't want). I think it comes down to a few things for me:

Comfort on long trips (Bronco, although the JL isn't horrible to be honest, quite nice with the hard top on)

Durability

Driving - not so much how it rides to how it feels on and off road

Removing sand/salt - interior durability - JL has already been rained in, no issues. I have Armorlite so rinsing it out is not an issue, although the rubberized floor looks to work better.

Aftermarket - I need a viable bikini option for the Bronco to keep rain off me, I run hard top 6 months, bikini/no top/no doors 6 months (it's in the garage at night and I work at home).

So.......I may actually go to a Bronco Off-Roadeo in the fall to get some more time behind the wheel in one.

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I would say absolutely not. Unless you're one of those people that bought a Jeep not realizing what you're getting, I would keep the Jeep.

There is very little the Bronco has over a new Jeep short of IFS For a better ride quality.

Ford has a long way to go to work out all the bugs and design flaws in the Bronco. Give it time to work itself out.

Plus everything Bronco has a "Bronco tax".. where Jeeps have more options than you can possibly want, and everything is much cheaper.

The only exception that I can think of, is the drive train, meaning the Bronco will have Front/Rear lockers and the Dana 44-ish axles (assuming you're getting able badlands or Sasquatch).

Letagoavs710

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
So you went with Gupton or one of the others? I bought my Gladiator through Gupton at 8% off, love it. I think your Wrangler is awesome personally and I donā€™t see why you would want to get rid of it especially with how pricing is. You missed the March cut off so your Bronco will be massively marked up from original numbers.

Either way I think the Wrangler has the way better interior and way nicer hard top. But ultimately the decision is up to you. I struggled getting rid of my Challenger for the Jeep because I loved it but sometimes love isnā€™t enough lol. If you find yourself looking for reasons to keep the Jeep because you want the Bronco you likely wonā€™t ever get over that. If youā€™re impulsive like me, just make sure itā€™s the right decision and youā€™re not doing it based on impulse. Either way youā€™ll have a cool car.

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt, 3 Wrangler JLs
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'd keep the jeep for a while. Looks like you already put some money into it. If you are offroading the jeep is still a more capable vehicle. Driving around town the bronco wins. With the Bronco shortages, you will be hard pressed to find one at a good price.

TheAaronPerry

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Iā€™ve had a 1998 Jeep TJ lifted on 35s a really modified 2006 TJ on 35s a beefy highly modified rock crawler 2015 Jk on 39s and now driving a 2018 JKU Recon Edition that I bought used with a little lift and some 35s, so basically Iā€™m a ā€œJeep Guyā€ Iā€™d say lol and my Badlands SAS just went in to production. Since I really donā€™t plan on doing anymore hardcore wheeling (I moved from mountainous New England to extremely flat Florida) the Bronco is will be the new daily for me. From everything Iā€™m reading and seeing itā€™s a better overall daily and has way better road manners. The tech is better, the style is cooler and overall it just better IMHO. If I was up in New England Iā€™d still be in my 2016 JK for sure. Thereā€™s no way a Bronco keeps up with a highly modified Jeep on the rocks but everything else I think it just crushes the Jeep. So if youā€™re planning on serious wheeling, keep the Jeep, if you got that Bronco itch and want something (again IMHO) is better overall at everything else, get the Bronco.

mini2nut

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3-pedal Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Jeep was finally forced to offer 35ā€™s on the Wrangler thanks to the Bronco. That $4k Xtreme Recon package is pretty sweet.

Sponsored
OP
OP
shnider10

shnider10

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Chevy Impala
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would say absolutely not. Unless you're one of those people that bought a Jeep not realizing what you're getting, I would keep the Jeep.

There is very little the Bronco has over a new Jeep short of IFS For a better ride quality.

Ford has a long way to go to work out all the bugs and design flaws in the Bronco. Give it time to work itself out.

Plus everything Bronco has a "Bronco tax".. where Jeeps have more options than you can possibly want, and everything is much cheaper.

The only exception that I can think of, is the drive train, meaning the Bronco will have Front/Rear lockers and the Dana 44-ish axles (assuming you're getting able badlands or Sasquatch).
All valid points. Both have the retro styling which I like and the very simple mods I have done are definitely cheaper when compared to the Bronco. For sure canā€™t go wrong either way.

OP
OP
shnider10

shnider10

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Chevy Impala
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So you went with Gupton or one of the others? I bought my Gladiator through Gupton at 8% off, love it. I think your Wrangler is awesome personally and I donā€™t see why you would want to get rid of it especially with how pricing is. You missed the March cut off so your Bronco will be massively marked up from original numbers.

Either way I think the Wrangler has the way better interior and way nicer hard top. But ultimately the decision is up to you. I struggled getting rid of my Challenger for the Jeep because I loved it but sometimes love isnā€™t enough lol. If you find yourself looking for reasons to keep the Jeep because you want the Bronco you likely wonā€™t ever get over that. If youā€™re impulsive like me, just make sure itā€™s the right decision and youā€™re not doing it based on impulse. Either way youā€™ll have a cool car.
I really appreciate it this! Yes, I bought it from Gupton which was a wonderful experience. I love my Jeep. I have a Bronco reservation at SAC 99 status at the moment. Just weighing my options for 2023. Bronco definitely has the wow factor being so new but so does the Jeep and itā€™s proven reliability.

OP
OP
shnider10

shnider10

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Chevy Impala
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd keep the jeep for a while. Looks like you already put some money into it. If you are offroading the jeep is still a more capable vehicle. Driving around town the bronco wins. With the Bronco shortages, you will be hard pressed to find one at a good price.
Yeah the Jeep is awesome with the XR package and more than capable. I appreciate it. Maybe the fiancƩ will end up taking my SAC reservation and we can have the best of both worlds lol.

OP
OP
shnider10

shnider10

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Chevy Impala
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Iā€™ve had a 1998 Jeep TJ lifted on 35s a really modified 2006 TJ on 35s a beefy highly modified rock crawler 2015 Jk on 39s and now driving a 2018 JKU Recon Edition that I bought used with a little lift and some 35s, so basically Iā€™m a ā€œJeep Guyā€ Iā€™d say lol and my Badlands SAS just went in to production. Since I really donā€™t plan on doing anymore hardcore wheeling (I moved from mountainous New England to extremely flat Florida) the Bronco is will be the new daily for me. From everything Iā€™m reading and seeing itā€™s a better overall daily and has way better road manners. The tech is better, the style is cooler and overall it just better IMHO. If I was up in New England Iā€™d still be in my 2016 JK for sure. Thereā€™s no way a Bronco keeps up with a highly modified Jeep on the rocks but everything else I think it just crushes the Jeep. So if youā€™re planning on serious wheeling, keep the Jeep, if you got that Bronco itch and want something (again IMHO) is better overall at everything else, get the Bronco.
Thanks! The wow factor of the Bronco is crazy. I just donā€™t want to make an impulsive decision because the Jeep is awesome as well. Really appreciate the input.

FormerJeepJunkie

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have a 2020 JLUR and at first I was super stoked to get into the Bronco. Though I am still interested, the waiting game is clearly a negative. In fact, it seems you canā€™t even order one until maybe the end of the year now. Factor in an additional 6-8 months wait (or more), I feel like this is one of those things you circle back to in a couple years. Iā€™m not a fan of paying ADM (especially leading up to a recession), so unless a dealer just happens to have what I want on the lot at a random time, itā€™s really not much of a debate on the ā€œshould I trade it or notā€ question.
Sponsored