First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What I am glad about is the ota updates. My 2020 Volvo (large screen like a Tesla which kind sucks tbh) but you need to go to the dealer for updates? Lol I told them if they want to copy Tesla, copy that feature so I can get updates at home, like a sane person would expect.
Sponsored

OP
OP
RedHotFuzz

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
ironically Tesla does this for cost saving measures. Since they offer only 1 interior for their cars, itā€™s cheaper to buy 1 screen in bulk vs 2.
Right, hence the scammy aroma of offering a larger screen only if purchased with $10k of other unwanted doodads. To be honest itā€™s not even so much the differences in screen size that bothers me as much as the cheap-looking space filler they use to cover the gap of the smaller screen. Just pick one screen size and optimize your design around it.

OP
OP
RedHotFuzz

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Or how about no screen at all so we donā€™t have to worry about software patches not keeping up w/ outdated hardware in 2040.
After owning CarPlay equipped vehicles I could never go back to non-CarPlay-equipped vehicles.

rjkmoto

Black Diamond
First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Dodge Challenger Hemi 392 Scatpack Shaker, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
8" is bigger than almost every other automotive company offers. Isn't Jeeps like 3.5"s?
FCAā€˜s largest is the UConnect 8.4; a 8.4ā€ screen. I have three - in a Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep. Itā€™s one of the better systems on the market, actually. ?ā€ā™‚

JK

Darforce

Black Diamond
First Name
Darlene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru crosstrek/ Mazda miata
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Same here, 8 inches will be fine, trust me. 12 is actually obnoxious in my opinion. Itā€™s cool in a Tesla, but that doesnā€™t mean every auto company needs to jump on that train. Just my two cents though.
I mean you are just looking at maps, not reading a book or watching Captain America. 8 inches should be fine anyone. If you need a 12 screen to see your maps you might want to rethink whether your eyesight is good enough to drive lol

Sponsored

Scohin

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yeah the 12" looks obnoxious. Saw a Tesla and was like is that an iPad mounted to the dash!?! My friend has a JT with their 8" and it's a cozy size.

Zinn

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2020 Ranger Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I donā€™t think the bezel looks bad. Ford obviously has a profit incentive to price discriminate across their trims and the fact that you started this thread shows why it works.

For me, the technical capability and upgradability of the platform are what I care about. I donā€™t want ultra luxury features in a vehicle designed to be beat on. The more superfluous crap I pay for, the less comfortable Iā€™d be beating on it!

If you tweak your perspective think about the Bronco as a roided-out beater SUV then you wonā€™t have FOMO for the profit margin luxury stuff that doesnā€™t even really make sense on this truck!

zaki

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lexus LS 500;'94 Acura NSX;'13 Landcruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The Bronco is arguably one of the most anti-Tesla vehicles imaginable and Yet Tesla somehow finds itself being discussed yet again and in yet another car forum.

I will drive an EV when I can stop and get juiced up just as quickly and just as easily and in as many places as a gasoline powered car so I donā€™t have to plan my trip around the location of the charge stations. Until then I couldnā€™t give a rats ass about Tesla or any other EV no matter how obnoxiously large the iPad stuck to itā€™s dashboard is.

Paint

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
This is the wrong argument to have.

The real discussion lies in how many tentacles it has into the rest of the vehicle, and how hard it will be to extricate it from the truck when it inevitably dies or you want better sound.

Some are so integrated into the systems of the vehicle, you need 800 dollars worth of cheaply made Chinese adapters to make sure your steering wheel controls and friggen airbags work if you want to replace the head unit.

fomoco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
deathmobile
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You could get one of those Bedazzler devices and attach rhinestones around that larger bezel and class things up. It will look fancier those plain bigger screens on the richie rich Broncos. Then you can hold your head up high with pride!

Sponsored

Richtor

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Tremor 7.3, 21 Badlands Sasquatch Stick(order)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a lot to say so that is why there are so many quotes...
Dear Ford,

Itā€™s the year 2020. Can we be done already with the auto industry racket of having to move up $10k in trim levels and options packages to get the slightly larger LCD screen In the dash without the cheap ugly filler bezel around it? Just because I donā€™t want Nepalese yak leather seating and automatic scented face misters doesnā€™t mean I want the screen that instantly brands me one of the downtrodden Poors (and that I must squint at through my aging downtrodden Poorsā€˜ eyes). I donā€™t care about all the superfluous gizmos and gadgets. In fact, I prefer to avoid them. Just let me pay the extra $200 it costs for that larger LCD and we can all happily move on with our lives (in our uniform-screen-sized Broncos). Maybe take a lesson from Tesla on this topic.

Sincerely,

Ugh
Dear RedHotFuzz,
The new 21 Bronco has some of the most complete electronics and computer aided conveniences one can buy. If I'm not mistaken, the base comes with push botton start, one touch door locks, and lets standard, with an 8 inch touch screen oem. The 21 JL Rubicon at $60k still starts with a 7 inch screen.
For Ford to put an 8 inch screen in their no option base at $30k is a blessing!
I have an 8.4 UConnect - in three vehicles - itā€™s plenty big.

But agree 100%

JK
The 8.4 in the Jeep are a nice size and its incorporated into the dash so clean. Ford did this awesome as well!
Tesla, the company that offers 0 choice?
Yes!
8" is bigger than almost every other automotive company offers. Isn't Jeeps like 3.5"s?
Jeeps base is about 3.5, even their base Rubicon is 7, Ive seen 2019 $70k F250 work trucks with the 3 inch non touch screen as well.
Same here, 8 inches will be fine, trust me. 12 is actually obnoxious in my opinion. Itā€™s cool in a Tesla, but that doesnā€™t mean every auto company needs to jump on that train. Just my two cents though.
12 is sweet, its also nice to have it wide, which Ram has it in tall.

Tesla is awful. It looks so cheap, like one just added a large iPad at the last minute attached to the vent.
We haven't seen build and price yet. The 12 inch screen could be a stand alone option, but they'll probably be a 15 page thread even though we don't know yet.
I think you need to buy the black diamond or higher to get the 12. That said many cars don't have 8 for their top of the line cars in 2020 let alone in their base cars.
ironically Tesla does this for cost saving measures. Since they offer only 1 interior for their cars, itā€™s cheaper to buy 1 screen in bulk vs 2. And since the model 3/y have no controls - the most basic interior a car could have - of course theyā€™ll need a larger screen to control everything.
again, terrible comparison.
Iā€™m glad most car companies offer options - Sucks the cheaper ones have a smaller screen, but even the smaller one is larger than most cars today.
Ironically Tesla still can't turn a profit, bulk buy, tent assembly, cut quality control, don't lose overhead with dealer sale, and large federal deductible throughout the world and they still can't turn a profit. Who knew???
Right, hence the scammy aroma of offering a larger screen only if purchased with $10k of other unwanted doodads. To be honest itā€™s not even so much the differences in screen size that bothers me as much as the cheap-looking space filler they use to cover the gap of the smaller screen. Just pick one screen size and optimize your design around it.
Its 2020 why don't you stop your crying pay the very menial price of $40k for the big screen. Once again I've seen $60k Rubicon with 7 inch.
FCAā€˜s largest is the UConnect 8.4; a 8.4ā€ screen. I have three - in a Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep. Itā€™s one of the better systems on the market, actually. ?ā€ā™‚

JK
FCA is the Ram 12 inch screen, which is awesome by the way, that is incorporated in to the dash
I mean you are just looking at maps, not reading a book or watching Captain America. 8 inches should be fine anyone. If you need a 12 screen to see your maps you might want to rethink whether your eyesight is good enough to drive lol
He could always add the 12 inch iPad and attach it to the vent like tesla does. That would only cost about $1k, well $1200 with keyboard and ipencil...
Yeah the 12" looks obnoxious. Saw a Tesla and was like is that an iPad mounted to the dash!?! My friend has a JT with their 8" and it's a cozy size.
Exactly the iPad add on looks cheap as hell. MB with the one long glass touch dash or the new Audi's with the 3 screen incorporated into their dash layout are outstanding!

Well Done Ford Bronco!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
RedHotFuzz

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This is the wrong argument to have.

The real discussion lies in how many tentacles it has into the rest of the vehicle, and how hard it will be to extricate it from the truck when it inevitably dies or you want better sound.
Yes, this is also a major concern that Iā€™m intimately familiar with as an owner of a 2016 Durango with a large screen that sadly doesnā€™t do CarPlay, is far too essential to the controls of multiple systems in the vehicle, and of course canā€™t easily be replaced/improved by an aftermarket solution.

OP
OP
RedHotFuzz

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ironically Tesla still can't turn a profit, bulk buy, tent assembly, cut quality control, don't lose overhead with dealer sale, and large federal deductible throughout the world and they still can't turn a profit. Who knew???
Actually, Tesla has been posting profitable quarters for a year now. Ford expects to lose money for 2020. Not that I have any interest in Tesla. I donā€™t. Itā€™s just nice to see they donā€™t try to upsell you to get better viewability of important vehicle controls.

Its 2020 why don't you stop your crying pay the very menial price of $40k for the big screen. Once again I've seen $60k Rubicon with 7 inch.
Because I neither want nor need all the superfluous (to me) shiz that comes with those higher trim packages.

_2020_

Badlands
First Name
Sylvain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mini Countryman S , 2015 JKU, 2017 X5 3.5i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The question is which of the 2 screens supports an unexpected shower?

Jeepā€™s Uconnect doesnā€™t like heavy rain for sure ?
I was able to get it changed under warranty but clearly that was lucky. Nothing says its waterproof!
Sponsored