First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No problem. I was just saying don't throw the baby out with the bath water. My recommendation is to drive the 2.3 Manual vs the 2.7 Auto and see if there is enough difference. We have another year until they hit dealers anyway.
I'm definitely not throwing the bay out with the bathwater.

As to "if" there's enough of a difference.... well.... yes, to me, there is.

I'm an Old Gearhead and I've rebuilt engines before. I'll hopefully be tearing into my 1977 F250's BB460 this winter to punch it out 0.030 Over and stroke it out to 4.5", so believe me when I say that I'm fully aware of the differences between the 2.3L 4 banger & the small 2.7L V6.
Sponsored

wzl_96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 F150, 96 SVT Cobra, 2011 Mustang GT Brembo
Consider it signed from me as well. I've been lurking on this forum for years, and been excited for a new Bronco since the mentioned so many years ago.. I won't completely write it off just yet until I drive one, but I am not expecting to be in love with it.

I recently rented an Explorer with the 2.3L and that hideous 10 speed. the vehicle had no life from that gutless powerplant, and that 10 speed couldn't ever figure out what gear it wanted to be in. I gave up hope long ago for a V8 Bronco, but I didn't think they would do us this dirty. I currently own 5 cars, all of them manual. I do not want the car thinking for me. I strongly believe that driving manual makes for better drivers, as you are watching so many more things than just the gas, brake, and your cell phone...

I see a few posts around that not many people will buy the manual anyway, which I understand, but I really think they will sell even less of them because of the lack of V6 option. The people out there hoping for a manual weren't holding out for the base engine. It makes me think that their focus groups have led them down a path that strays from what true auto enthusiasts want. I don't want ESS, and I also don't give a damn if it can drive itself. That's my job. I've been a Ford guy my entire life, but if they think I'm trading in my beloved V8 manual Mustang for a 4 banger they can go to straight hell.

Rant Off. Sorry, I feel so passionate about this!

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
To me it just seems like such a dumb move. To go through the trouble of development/sourcing a new trans for a new vehicle and have it only be compatible with one engine ... Especially when that is precisely one of the failures of the main competitor, not offering their manual with more than one engine.

Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Im hoping that it simply wasnt ready yet. I mean its kinda crazy to put all that money in developing a new offroad truck transmission with a HD variant for big trucks, and not put it behind your medium sized motors eventually.

RupertH

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rupert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mostly
I've rented two different 4-cyl Mustangs, and same result- crappiness abounds. And not just because I'm morally opposed to automatics, the response off the line was awful in every way. About 3rd gear it seemed like it picked up a bit, but by then I was angry.

To be fair, I've never driven one with a proper tranny and half an engine for comparison- perhaps it's all the fault of the slushbox.

PNW_Bronco94

Badlands
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Lol. Powertrain options are well past locked in at this point.

But, while we’re at it, let’s ask for a V8, too.

Fordboi

Badlands
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

First off, i am right at the end of gen z.
from what i have read on this thread, and if you couldn't tell already, the control-your-own-car world is going down in flames. consider me signed.

Bluity

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F56 mini
You have my signature. I was so excited about this for so long, now I'm just so disappointed. Ofcourse they will sell less manuals now and they will chalk it up to nobody wanting them. We want them in the v6 you twats. No Bronco for me 100% until I get what Ive been patiently waiting years for.

Sponsored

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Why do I feel like this group is only about 1,500 people who would actually pony up the cash.

0 of those people have tried a Bronco with the 2.3 + manual combination.
I had a Mustang 2.3t, it was a fun beast hampered by an Auto (Long story on that)

I always wondered how it'd be with a stick, now while it'd be quite different, I'll finally have my chance

*While I doubt it'll make much of a difference, here's my Signature as well

atm0706

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 RX-7 / 02 WRX wagon / 06 STi / 21 Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I was super excited for the 2 Door and immediately reserved one after watching the launch video when they mentioned the 7 speed manual. It wasn't until afterward that I realized it would only be available on the 2.3l. I'm very disappointed and will probably end up cancelling my reservation because of it. It just seemed like the perfect combo with the V6 and a manual. Not really interested in another 4 cylinder vehicle, I just feel like I'd be making a compromise that I wouldnt be happy with.

Chrome_Pony

Badlands
First Name
Chrome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2.3L Badlands High, 2017 LWN Duramax Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm curious, would the Coyote/10spd bridge the gap enough for the folks wanting a manual?

I feel like that is more likely than the 2.7L/7SPD, since FCA just stuffed a 392 into a JT/JL.

Fordboi

Badlands
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm curious, would the Coyote/10spd bridge the gap enough for the folks wanting a manual?

I feel like that is more likely than the 2.7L/7SPD, since FCA just stuffed a 392 into a JT/JL.
look what it says on their wrangler page.
Ford Bronco Sign Petition for MANUAL transmission with V6 2.7 Ecoboost 1594767798003
Sponsored