First Name
CHARLIE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F 150 - E 350
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yup. I’m not spending 50k on something that’s not what I want and that I can’t reasonably make what I want.

mad of right now, I’m out for the 2dr. Will get a 4dr to replace the 4Runner. But no 2dr toy for me.
If the manual transmissions start grenadeing ford has no choice but to build a stronger manual transmission. ??
Sponsored

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

For every 1 buyer like your there are 10 who cannot and will not drive manual. Most buyers are not enthusiasts, because enthusiasts don't pay the bills. The laypersons dollars matter more than yours, so it is a simple math problem. The automatic was an inclusionary decision.

Consider it signed from me as well. I've been lurking on this forum for years, and been excited for a new Bronco since the mentioned so many years ago.. I won't completely write it off just yet until I drive one, but I am not expecting to be in love with it.

I recently rented an Explorer with the 2.3L and that hideous 10 speed. the vehicle had no life from that gutless powerplant, and that 10 speed couldn't ever figure out what gear it wanted to be in. I gave up hope long ago for a V8 Bronco, but I didn't think they would do us this dirty. I currently own 5 cars, all of them manual. I do not want the car thinking for me. I strongly believe that driving manual makes for better drivers, as you are watching so many more things than just the gas, brake, and your cell phone...

I see a few posts around that not many people will buy the manual anyway, which I understand, but I really think they will sell even less of them because of the lack of V6 option. The people out there hoping for a manual weren't holding out for the base engine. It makes me think that their focus groups have led them down a path that strays from what true auto enthusiasts want. I don't want ESS, and I also don't give a damn if it can drive itself. That's my job. I've been a Ford guy my entire life, but if they think I'm trading in my beloved V8 manual Mustang for a 4 banger they can go to straight hell.

Rant Off. Sorry, I feel so passionate about this!

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The simple reality is that most people who buy the Bronco new will enjoy it as a "mallcrawler", a lifestyle car. Expect to see more Sasquatch models in the Chic Filet drive thru than on the trials. Not hating on those buyers, but they will enjoy the look, feel, top-off doors-off freedom, and not think twice about "why doesn't this have a manual transmission". It won't even be thought of as a variable for buyers because automatics are the default. Only 13% of car models are available with a manual as an option, and only a total of 2.8% of overall cars sales are manual...so a very, very slim market.

Even performance cars are moving away from stick and including paddle shifting as a bridge between the manual and automation world.

So, for all the enthusiasts and petitions, the reality is that you are asking for an option that goes against the tide of consumer attitude and spending.

I feel fortunate that we have A manual option at all, asking for multiple manual options seems like fantasy...imo.

rtsherry73

Outer Banks
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I am old enough to know: I bet a Bronco 2.3/manual is faster 0 to 60 mph than a 1970 Boss 302. And the 2.3 has more torque. Boss 302 was only 290 ft lbs at 4300 rpm. And the Bronco 2.3 has a low range transfer case, in case you need more torque.

Al Cowlings

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I would buy a 2.7L MT in a heartbeat. I've traditionally gone overlanding in manual rigs (the current 4Runner is an exception) and I prefer a manual. But the 2.3L doesn't really move me.

A 2.7L MT would be very unique in the marketplace. I believe it would draw out a lot of MT lovers, as it would be unique in the off-road world (at least in America).

Sponsored

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Actually until the last year or two, I'd say they were one of the main proponents of manuals. Their performance cars were often manual-ONLY:
- Fiesta ST
- Focus ST
- Focus RS
- Mustang Cobra/GT350/GT500
- Contour SVT
- Focus SVT

And the regular Fiesta, Focus, and Fusion could be had with a stick.

Unfortunately, with Ford ditching all cars and in effect all of their enthusiast vehicles, all the manuals are gone except for the Mustang.

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I am far from an expert, but I can read the numbers, there just are not many buyers of manual transmission cars. I enjoy manual, I drive that with my WRX and I will order a manual in the Bronco, but there are realities to accept. I just don't think Ford, or any company, can design a car looking backwards...but sometimes that is what it seems like people on this forum want them to do.

We got a 2dr, manual, off-roading vehicle, which looks amazing and seems to be very capable. In this day and age, that is remarkable.

I would buy a 2.7L MT in a heartbeat. I've traditionally gone overlanding in manual rigs (the current 4Runner is an exception) and I prefer a manual. But the 2.3L doesn't really move me.

A 2.7L MT would be very unique in the marketplace. I believe it would draw out a lot of MT lovers, as it would be unique in the off-road world (at least in America).

rtsherry73

Outer Banks
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

I agree with your second paragraph!

AreaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
For every 1 buyer like your there are 10 who cannot and will not drive manual. Most buyers are not enthusiasts, because enthusiasts don't pay the bills. The laypersons dollars matter more than yours, so it is a simple math problem. The automatic was an inclusionary decision.
This argument that gets tossed around jeep forums too. My response is that without the enthusiast bona fides the mall crawl crew looks elsewhere. People in the game of emulating a cool off road vehicle can pick up the consensus of what is the most favored among the enthusiast crowd.

I'm not saying adding more MT support would boost sales dramatically, it would be an intangible, winning hearts and minds strategy that would cement brand loyalty among the enthusiasts.

Jeep has a MT on base engine, now Bronco has MT on a base engine. Will one of them drop it now? That would only earn them ill-will among certain MT enthusiasts. There is bonus if they expand that MT access

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Your points are valid, and I wouldn't find abandoning the MT a reasonable decision, but I also wouldn't find adding another MT necessary.

This argument that gets tossed around jeep forums too. My response is that without the enthusiast bona fides the mall crawl crew looks elsewhere. People in the game of emulating a cool off road vehicle can pick up the consensus of what is the most favored among the enthusiast crowd.

I'm not saying adding more MT support would boost sales dramatically, it would be an intangible, winning hearts and minds strategy that would cement brand loyalty among the enthusiasts.

Jeep has a MT on base engine, now Bronco has MT on a base engine. Will one of them drop it now? That would only earn them ill-will among certain MT enthusiasts. There is bonus if they expand that MT access

Sponsored

DNor

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G37
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Signed! Can we also start one for a fold down bronco tailgate w/ power glass of old? ?

wannabronco

Base
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra, Tacoma, Camaro
Your Bronco Model
Base
I would rather have the 2..7/manual than the Squatch/manual and I voted for the Squatch/manual before it became a reality. I think a majority would opt for a 2.7/manual than the 2.3/manual. I think there was a poll done somewhere?

mrcx

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'67 Camaro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'd love it if they offered the MT + 2.7. The 2.3 powering an already very heavy Bronco that will only get heavier as I modify it makes me worry about going with the 2.3.
Given they are already concerned about the high number of people doing builds with the 2.7 and how that might create "late availability", I can't see them offering it this year. That number might drop now that they have corrected the mistake of bundling AT and 2.7 for $1,895 and now charging $3,490 for it.
If they are really worried about the MT being able to handle the power/torque of the 2.7, I wonder if they will have a performance tune for the 2.3 through Ford like they do the Ranger?

AreaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Your points are valid, and I wouldn't find abandoning the MT a reasonable decision, but I also wouldn't find adding another MT necessary.
That's probably right, but one can hope!

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Exactly. this idea that's is so hard to do. My 60 T-bird parts car came with a 390/AOD combo. The AOD adaptations most times had to have the bellhousing machined off, and a new one bolted on. If the aftermarket can do that time and time again, simple for a manufacturer that already made a trans that bolts right up.
Sponsored