First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4WD King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Consumes less power? Okay, sure LED can consume less power, but by what, a few watts.

I'll counter with the incandescent bulbs will last years and will cost $1.00 to replace. If the LED circuit goes tits up, bring your credit card rather than pocket change.

But they are cool...
I've never had an issue with a factory LED burn out and they do consume far less power . Much easier to see in fog or if bright sunlight is on them also so there is a safety factor.

On another note the prices have came down considerably as more people are switching over to LED . In my older house I switched out all the bulbs for LED and what totaled 1900 wats now is 99 watts . I don't really care if they leave every light in the house on now......but I'm still like my old man and find myself turning them off after someone else has left one on :)
Sponsored

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Which are useful how? Yes, they look cool, but do nothing.
Going to work every morning I ride through a low lying area with water on both sides of the road and this time of year it is completely fog . I use my fog lights as they help considerably being able to see the road since they are mounted down low . Your experience may not be the same as others .

BroncoActual

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Consumes less power? Okay, sure LED can consume less power, but by what, a few watts.

I'll counter with the incandescent bulbs will last years and will cost $1.00 to replace. If the LED circuit goes tits up, bring your credit card rather than pocket change.

But they are cool...
A quick Google will show:
  1. In terms of power, given the brightness output, an LED will consume 5x - 6x less power than an incandescent:
    types-of-LED-lights-section-5.jpg
  2. In terms of lifespan, incandescents last anywhere from a few hundred hours to low thousand hours while LEDs last in the tens of thousands of hours
    Ford Bronco Signature vs standard lights ? Screenshot_2020-11-20 How Energy-Efficient Light Bulbs Compare with Traditional Incandescents

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've never had an issue with a factory LED burn out and they do consume far less power . Much easier to see in fog or if bright sunlight is on them also so there is a safety factor.

On another note the prices have came down considerably as more people are switching over to LED . In my older house I switched out all the bulbs for LED and what totaled 1900 wats now is 99 watts . I don't really care if they leave every light in the house on now......but I'm still like my old man and find myself turning them off after someone else has left one on :)
But seriously cut the power consumption on a 12V battery system in an automobile? Like it cuts 0.000000002 pound-foot of electrical drag on the alternator. LOL.

Your assuming the LEDs will be brighter; it depends on how Ford configures the LEDs. Plus most incandescent tail lights have redundant bulbs and the not all three light sources will burnout at the same time, statistically the high-mounted center brake light and the other side tail light will still function.

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
But seriously cut the power consumption on a 12V battery system in an automobile? Like it cuts 0.000000002 pound-foot of electrical drag on the alternator. LOL.

Your assuming the LEDs will be brighter; it depends on how Ford configures the LEDs. Plus most incandescent tail lights have redundant bulbs and the not all three light sources will burnout at the same time, statistically the high-mounted center brake light and the other side tail light will still function.
It's hard to convince someone who thinks electrical is measured in Ft Lbs but yes , it is considerably less "Drag" on a vehicles electrical system . I saw these in person and they are also extremely well thought out and effective . The choice is yours however .

Sponsored

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's hard to convince someone who thinks electrical is measured in Ft Lbs but yes , it is considerably less "Drag" on a vehicles electrical system . I saw these in person and they are also extremely well thought out and effective . The choice is yours however .
It sounds like he thinks the only benefit is the literal physical resistance added to the alternator and by extension on the engine?

I’m personally a huge fan of LEDs. Swapping out my hid driving lights for LEDs on my motorcycle meant my battery wasn’t draining at idle anymore, and I had the extra overhead for heated gear and cell phone charging.

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It sounds like he thinks the only benefit is the literal physical resistance added to the alternator and by extension on the engine?

I’m personally a huge fan of LEDs. Swapping out my hid driving lights for LEDs on my motorcycle meant my battery wasn’t draining at idle anymore, and I had the extra overhead for heated gear and cell phone charging.
Yes they made considerable difference on my motorcycles . I also switched out the lights on my old '91 Ford Ranger that I drive to work everyday and it used to barely keep the battery charged with the stock lights . Now I can actually see and it is keeping a good charge . It has the original alternator on it at 327,000 miles so hopefully it will still not need replacement for awhile longer .

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

you know, for lighting up the fog
But with idot requirement to have headlights on, it only helps me see the fog better! Lol

Sponsored

Appalachia_Ewok

Base
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 PT Cruiser, '62 DeVille, '96 XJ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Where these $1.00 incandescents at? it was like $50+ per bulb to get replacement incandescent bulbs in my car that were brighter than stock (to offset the clouding) but still not even as bright as LEDs.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Where these $1.00 incandescents at? it was like $50+ per bulb to get replacement incandescent bulbs in my car that were brighter than stock (to offset the clouding) but still not even as bright as LEDs.
The rear incandescent bulbs.

Supersnay

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Dodge Durango R/T
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The yellow light accents on the standard lighting is definitely cool, but the main light is incandescent. It’s not shown lit up in those renderings, but I think it’ll look underwhelming. Car manufacturers have somewhat established a standard these days with led front lighting. Most people look for that in their cars. I personally prefer it.
This is not true, they both are LED lighting per specs.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ah, power transmitted from the engine crank pulley to the alternator accessory drive pulley is measured in torque over time (pound-foot/sec), which = 1.3 watts per 1 pound-foot per sec.

Since none of us know the electrical circuit of the LED tail light vs. the incandescent version and each power consumption, it's merely am academic exercise at this point.

But I'll state that the minor effect of lowering the tail light power consumption (even less the brake light consumption) will have no perceivable effect on lowering fuel consumption.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

No, it isn't LED bulbs it is a full sealed LED housing.

I know a guy with a '14 Mustang. Somebody backed into it and cracked the tail light. When it filled full of water and shorted out (thus when he noticed it) he called the dealer and a new housing was like $1200 (its a one piece sealed unit)

Yeah, I am a hard pass on that crap if I can help it. Regular bulbs last a great long while, like 10-15 years and hardly pull anything. LED replacement bulbs if you want to ride that bandwagon are pennies on the dollar for the cost of a replacement factory LED assembly (especially if they have sensors incorporated into it)
Sponsored