Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ah, power transmitted from the engine crank pulley to the alternator accessory drive pulley is measured in torque over time (pound-foot/sec), which = 1.3 watts.

Since none of us know the electrical circuit of the LED tail light vs. the incandescent version and each power consumption, it's merely am academic exercise at this point.

But I'll state that the minor effect of lowering the tail light power consumption (even less the brake light consumption) will have no perceivable effect on lowering fuel consumption.
Ive never once upgraded to LED lighting for fuel consumption reasons... is anyone making that argument in this thread?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ive never once upgraded to LED lighting for fuel consumption reasons.
Fine, but why is a miniscule reduction in power consumption a reason to switch to LED as was stated as an advantage of LED.

I get the possibility of the LEDs never burning out and I'm not arguing that point, but my experience of over 40 driving years I've had to replace tail light bulbs maybe every 5 years and it take 10 minutes and the bulbs are very inexpensive.

Power consumption really isn't a good reason. If one thinks LED is cool, then that's a legit reason.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Fine, but why is a miniscule reduction in power consumption a reason to switch to LED as was stated as an advantage of LED.

I get the possibility of the LEDs never burning out and I'm not arguing that point, but my experience of over 40 driving years I've had to replace tail light bulbs maybe every 5 years and it take 10 minutes and the bulbs are very inexpensive.

Power consumption really isn't a good reason. If one thinks LED is cool, then that's a legit reason.
Power consumption as in the *amps* (not horse power) they draw is considerably less than incandescent.

On my dual-sport motorcycle for instance, the alternator was barely powerful enough to charge the battery while I was at idle... add to that some heated gear, my cell phone charger, and the ABS/assisted brakes, I was constantly running the risk of draining my battery even while riding at higher RPMs.

The solution in the past was to swap out for a "high output" alternator to cover the electrical draws... but now, by switching to LEDs, I was able to reduce the electrical load enough that the battery drain problem went away entirely even with the stock alternator.

This can play a major role, especially in a vehicle that is going to be modded, and potentially used away from civilization. If you're running a fridge, maybe some aux lighting, charging a go-pro, etc... utilizing LED lighting (vs incandescent) could mean the difference between having enough juice to crank your starter or being stranded when it comes time to leave.

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4WD King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Power consumption as in the *amps* (not horse power) they draw is considerably less than incandescent.

On my dual-sport motorcycle for instance, the alternator was barely powerful enough to charge the battery while I was at idle... add to that some heated gear, my cell phone charger, and the ABS/assisted brakes, I was constantly running the risk of draining my battery even while riding at higher RPMs.

The solution in the past was to swap out for a "high output" alternator to cover the electrical draws... but now, by switching to LEDs, I was able to reduce the electrical load enough that the battery drain problem went away entirely even with the stock alternator.

This can play a major role, especially in a vehicle that is going to be modded, and potentially used away from civilization. If you're running a fridge, maybe some aux lighting, charging a go-pro, etc... utilizing LED lighting (vs incandescent) could mean the difference between having enough juice to crank your starter or being stranded when it comes time to leave.
Let them build an off grid home with solar power and they will quickly realize the benefits of LED and far less power consumption :)

Lilj4425

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ive never once upgraded to LED lighting for fuel consumption reasons... is anyone making that argument in this thread?
I never have either. Switching to LED lighting to save on fuel is almost like adding blinker fluid. lol.

Sponsored

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If i were to install a fridgeor other high draw item id put in dual batteries

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Good Lord, come on man, the Bronco will probably have a 2,000 watt alternator at least, it's not a motorcycle. Charge a go-pro, the battery could charge a go-pro and not even notice. Now we are just arguing for arguing sakes.

I made a valid point. LED power consumption is not a legit reason to go with the LED tails. LED Cool factor, the "B" design factor, all good reasons.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good Lord, come on man, the Bronco will probably have a 2,000 watt alternator at least, it's not a motorcycle. Charge a go-pro, the battery could charge a go-pro and not even notice. Now we are just arguing for arguing sakes.

I made a valid point. LED power consumption is not a legit reason to go with the LED tails. LED Cool factor, the "B" design factor, all good reasons.
Ford Bronco Signature vs standard lights ? 1605892673260

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Stuff like that and lawmowers are different. I have LED in my riding mower for this reason (to avoid the electric clutch slipping if alternator can't keep up)

In the land of 100-200+A alternators... 4A from two 3157 tail light bulbs is nothing though.

And if the truck isn't running and you are charging your gopro, running a fridge or in my case running a slide in camper... the tail lights are not on anyway.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Judge Rufus

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Wheeler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti QX80, GMC Sierra, Mercedes SLK32 AMG,
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Switching to LED lighting to save on fuel is almost like adding blinker fluid.
Lucky, I've never had to do that. My mechanic does it for me every time I get an oil change.

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
standard looks 100 times better than the Signature. More fitting with the throwback design cues.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Not the tails. And we're distinguishing signatures.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Where these $1.00 incandescents at? it was like $50+ per bulb to get replacement incandescent bulbs in my car that were brighter than stock (to offset the clouding) but still not even as bright as LEDs.
Okay, so maybe stock wattage incans are $3.50 each. Last time I replaced some in my 325I, 21-watt brakelight bulbs were under $8 a pack for two IIRC.
Sponsored