Reaction score
Website
www.puravidaoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
a number of classics and my 4dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've seen installs and reviews of the cargo area enclosure and while they seem to be ultra-secure, I'm looking for something more simple to inhibit reach and grab theft in the rear. For example, if I have the top off, and I have my laptop bag in the car, I want to drop the bag into the back while I run into the coffee shop or grocery store without worry that someone will see it and grab it.

Ideally, just a locking tonneau-style cover that can be easily removed (or rolled up?) when I want the full rear cargo space for door storage or to fold down the seats. Obviously, this would be very light security. Someone could still get to the rear contents if they wanted to via the rear seats or a little bit of muscle power. The under floor storage could be an option, but it's small and not very accessible if I have other things in the rear cargo area.

Has anyone seen any options yet? What do Jeep owners have available?
Sponsored

Blackcat

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD BRONCO BASE 2 DOOR M/T
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I"m in the same boat. While the option Ford has available is nice, it's too complicated. I don't need a full enclosure, just a top that will be secure enough to discourage people from being too curious.

Rubicon 2 Badlands

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKU Rubicon / 2021 Bronco: Badlands/Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've seen installs and reviews of the cargo area enclosure and while they seem to be ultra-secure, I'm looking for something more simple to inhibit reach and grab theft in the rear. For example, if I have the top off, and I have my laptop bag in the car, I want to drop the bag into the back while I run into the coffee shop or grocery store without worry that someone will see it and grab it.

Ideally, just a locking tonneau-style cover that can be easily removed (or rolled up?) when I want the full rear cargo space for door storage or to fold down the seats. Obviously, this would be very light security. Someone could still get to the rear contents if they wanted to via the rear seats or a little bit of muscle power. The under floor storage could be an option, but it's small and not very accessible if I have other things in the rear cargo area.

Has anyone seen any options yet? What do Jeep owners have available?
I've had a laptop bag stolen from my Jeep and I installed a Tuffy security enclosure and that did the trick. I just installed the security inclosure in the Bronco because I cannot tell you how disruptive having a computer bag stolen is. It was horrible. I never want to have it happen again, and the enclosure gives me that peace of mind.

Last edited:

Channels321

Outer Banks
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 WRX, 1981 Z28
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yeah I'd like something similar to what is in pretty much every suv/hatchback. The one from Ford seems like too much trouble for my lazy self, lol.

For the time being I'm just using an old Pelican cargo box and a cable lock to the tie-down point. It works and keeps stuff locked up with the top off.

65550fl00avh.jpg

Sponsored

stras27

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I reached out to Diabolical Inc. a while back and they were working on one but didn't have a prototype yet. The ones they make for jeeps are perfect.

dcaero

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ford Bronco Simple locking cargo area enclosure? Screenshot_20211203-080633

The closest I can find for this exact desire that I share, is this adjustable shelf from American Adventure Labs. With some extra pieces bolted on (to extend that extra 3-4" to the tailgate), it could work out.

But right now, there's really no specific solution out there.

greatlakes

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
67 Buick Special
Your Bronco Model
Base
I had been considering something like this. It's actually a trailer tongue box:
Ford Bronco Simple locking cargo area enclosure? 1639171211445

Perhaps, I could drill a couple holes in the bottom and bolt it down where the tie-downs attach behind the rear seats.

cricex

Badlands
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7L CG Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I bought the official Ford fixed top cargo enclosure and plan on figuring out a way to make the top come off easily at some point in the future.

Also planning on a figuring out a way so that I can remove half of the vertical panel so I can stow skis or other long items w/ the seat down at some point in the future.

Sponsored

dcaero

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I bought the official Ford fixed top cargo enclosure and plan on figuring out a way to make the top come off easily at some point in the future.

Also planning on a figuring out a way so that I can remove half of the vertical panel so I can stow skis or other long items w/ the seat down at some point in the future.
That's a solid plan. I may end up going that route if no other aftermarket solutions come out soon. My delivery is within a week's time so going to need something soon.

cricex

Badlands
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7L CG Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Quick update on this - I received the fixed lid enclosure and started to install it yesterday. Unfortunately, not only was I missing bolts (I could overcome that with some spares that I have) but it arrived severely scratched up so I am returning it.

Looking at some reviews and apparently its pretty normal for it to arrived scratched up.

Ford Bronco Simple locking cargo area enclosure? 1639489365680

Ford Bronco Simple locking cargo area enclosure? 1639489376227

Ford Bronco Simple locking cargo area enclosure? 1639489387056

Ford Bronco Simple locking cargo area enclosure? 1639489397939

Mybbackpacker

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 FJ cruiser (just sold), 18 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Quick update on this - I received the fixed lid enclosure and started to install it yesterday. Unfortunately, not only was I missing bolts (I could overcome that with some spares that I have) but it arrived severely scratched up so I am returning it.

Looking at some reviews and apparently its pretty normal for it to arrived scratched up.

1639489365680.png

1639489376227.png

1639489387056.png

1639489397939.png
Wow! I was annoyed at the scratches on mine with the raised lid. That is really bad.

Blaine23

Big Bend
First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I got frustrated with the lack of options for my Wrangler JK years ago. Ended up cutting a 2 piece section of heavy plywood to fit exactly over the cargo area, cut out around the roll bars, that bolted into the hardtop mounts. Covered it in all weather gray carpet and it honestly looked pretty great for a home fabrication. Obviously it wasn't as secure as steel box, but it kept eyes and hands out of the back of my Jeep. Even better, it didn't affect the soft top operation at all and gave me a sturdy enough shelf to put most anything on top of it. And it was easy to remove with 6 bolts whenever I needed it out of the way.

I wouldn't hate a soft tonneau cover for my Bronco but the exposed straps look terrible. If no one else makes anything better, I might have to get out the plywood again this summer, I guess.

Not the best pic, but you can see some of it here.
EDIT - found a better image of it.

Ford Bronco Simple locking cargo area enclosure? IMG_0207.JPG

Jeep Cargo Cover.jpeg

Last edited:

Diabolical Inc

Wildtrak
Lux Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shop.diabolicalinc.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2021 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I reached out to Diabolical Inc. a while back and they were working on one but didn't have a prototype yet. The ones they make for jeeps are perfect.
its out and availability now
Sponsored