Sponsored

Simple roof rack options?

fv9

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport, 2005 Lotus Elise, Protoform P3 formula vee, Crossle 32F formula ford
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Looking for a basic cross bar option that can grab the sides of the top. Basically something I can mount a ski rack or cargo box to. I don’t need a large beefy system, but seems that is all that is out there. Thule and Yakima don’t appear to have released anything. Don’t want the factory rails. Have any of you come across anything? Thanks!
Sponsored

Brad Fx

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Would rear cap crossbars work for you? Some of the current Bronco roof racks include zroadz, Badass tents, Valkyrie, JCR, Gobi, and Trailrax. Several include the smaller back cap rails.

I’ve search for roof rails only or crossbars only for 10-12 months. None of the companies above currently provide that. I’ve contacted several, giving them this great opportunity, so some of us can use the Yakima/Thule crossbars we already have; however, we continue to see $1,300+ options that don’t solve the basic need for using existing Yakima/Thule crossbars. Many of us need occasional crossbars only for kayaks, skis, etc., using what we already own.

For crossbars only, the only option I’ve currently found is “top off only” SMS Exposed Racks. This might work for nice days with the kayak or paddle boards, but not for skis, rain, snow, or highway luggage.

OP
OP
fv9

fv9

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport, 2005 Lotus Elise, Protoform P3 formula vee, Crossle 32F formula ford
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Would rear cap crossbars work for you? Some of the current Bronco roof racks include zroadz, Badass tents, Valkyrie, JCR, Gobi, and Trailrax. Several include the smaller back cap rails.

I’ve search for roof rails only or crossbars only for 10-12 months. None of the companies above currently provide that. I’ve contacted several, giving them this great opportunity, so some of us can use the Yakima/Thule crossbars we already have; however, we continue to see $1,300+ options that don’t solve the basic need for using existing Yakima/Thule crossbars. Many of us need occasional crossbars only for kayaks, skis, etc., using what we already own.

For crossbars only, the only option I’ve currently found is “top off only” SMS Exposed Racks. This might work for nice days with the kayak or paddle boards, but not for skis, rain, snow, or highway luggage.
I’ve seen those rear cap setups and while super nice, it’s overkill for my needs. Sounds like you may be in the same boat.

TrailRax

Badlands
Lux Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
TrailRax
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trailrax.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve seen those rear cap setups and while super nice, it’s overkill for my needs. Sounds like you may be in the same boat.
We actually are working on a Pak Rax solo design that would be just 2 cross members on top. Here is a picture. Should be available in late September.
Ford Bronco Simple roof rack options? front view.1

OP
OP
fv9

fv9

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

We actually are working on a Pak Rax solo design that would be just 2 cross members on top. Here is a picture. Should be available in late September.
Ford Bronco Simple roof rack options? front view.1
It fits over the rear top allowing the other panels to be removed? How easy is it to remove the back cap with this on? And what about pricing? Thanks!

Sponsored

TrailRax

Badlands
Lux Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
TrailRax
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trailrax.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It fits over the rear top allowing the other panels to be removed? How easy is it to remove the back cap with this on? And what about pricing? Thanks!
Pricing is available on our site right now. To remove the rear hardtop piece, you would just need to un bolt the bottom of the pak rax off the body then lift the hardtop off with the pak rax still on if you want. You can make it easier to lift by removing the hardtop altogether too.

Yes front and middle panels can be removed.

Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Pricing is available on our site right now. To remove the rear hardtop piece, you would just need to un bolt the bottom of the pak rax off the body then lift the hardtop off with the pak rax still on if you want. You can make it easier to lift by removing the hardtop altogether too.

Yes front and middle panels can be removed.

I am in the same boat as the others... will there be an option to buy just the crossbar parts without the side mounts for the Pax?? If so, this would be the most similar rack to the fishing concept which is what A TON of us are waiting on to become available.

TrailRax

Badlands
Lux Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
TrailRax
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trailrax.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am in the same boat as the others... will there be an option to buy just the crossbar parts without the side mounts for the Pax?? If so, this would be the most similar rack to the fishing concept which is what A TON of us are waiting on to become available.
The cross bars are required for it. Without the cross bars, a roof rack is required. The issue with the weight we rate our products at, the rack would just pull away from the vehicle and break more things. Essentially the pak Rax need a piece that holds the top in position with the weight load and for this, we need a connecting piece so each assembly will keep the other side in position.

Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The cross bars are required for it. Without the cross bars, a roof rack is required. The issue with the weight we rate our products at, the rack would just pull away from the vehicle and break more things. Essentially the pak Rax need a piece that holds the top in position with the weight load and for this, we need a connecting piece so each assembly will keep the other side in position.

I understand the pak rax need the crossbars to mount to, but my question is will the crossbars be able to be ordered on their own? I don't want any of the "1/2 rack" options that are available on the market but the two single crossbars shown in your assembly above (with the side pak rax removed) are what I'm looking for. Thanks!

TrailRax

Badlands
Lux Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
TrailRax
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trailrax.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I understand the pak rax need the crossbars to mount to, but my question is will the crossbars be able to be ordered on their own? I don't want any of the "1/2 rack" options that are available on the market but the two single crossbars shown in your assembly above (with the side pak rax removed) are what I'm looking for. Thanks!
Yes you will be able to purchase the above picture all in one kit.

Sponsored

UrsulaEdwards

Base
First Name
Ursula
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco™ Outer Banks™
Your Bronco Model
Base
I don't own either of those racks but I have a Thule Spare Me that was on my Xterra. I decided to go with the factory rails on my Pathfinder but am now looking for a way to mount a cargo box on it. I know I can get a 4'x4' box on top of my rails but can't find much in the way of a cargo box. I would also like to be able to get my skis on top in the winter. I have a few options that I have found:

Valkyrie Off Road

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Website
valkyrieoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Brad Fx

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@TrailRax @Valkyrie Off Road @ZROADZOFFICIAL @JcrOffroad
The problem a lot of us are running into is the placement of rear cap crossbars. It’s too far back. Many of us need crossbars in the middle of the vehicle, like most vehicles. For example, I have a 13.5ft Kayak. If I use the rear cap crossbars, the Kayak will be sticking way out the back!

Are crossbars only (in the middle) just not possible? I’m thinking not. That’s why I’ve asked every company making these if they can simply make roof “rails” only where we can use our existing Yakima and Thule crossbars. The 1st to do this gets my money. - and a lot of people want this!

OP
OP
fv9

fv9

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs