Sponsored

Sizing down to 33's with Sasquatch - what would be involved?

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
OK, I can live by those rules. But, the info you gave could be considered mis-information. I think your the one that corrected me weeks ago about the 4.7 being standard on the manual trans. Before that I just knew my ordering experience and the part that tires size affecting the gear ratio Ford puts in seemed extremely reasonable at the time.
That's a good point regarding misinformation. And I should admit that my way of assuming it was manual was circumnavigational to draw the OP back in on the topic and engage on it to keep giving more information and "earn" the answers instead of being spoon fed.

While personally I think that @Zenithon needs to do some more searching (even if just by thread title) Clearly enough research has been done to get wrapped up in too many variables (haven't we all been there!) the bulk of what is being asked has some simple answers if more pertinent information had been given to us to help them.

If it was me a while back mentioning the gearing for Badlands MT being equal to Sasquatch (all trims), then this will be good info to the OP in here as well. Full disclosure: This says "preliminary" however, we've not been given anything to contradict this from Ford.

Ford Bronco Sizing down to 33's with Sasquatch - what would be involved? Bronco gearin
Sponsored

OP
OP

Zenithon

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Dodge Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thank you all. Good information here. I should have included that I am getting a 4-door with the automatic and 6 cylinder engine.

OP
OP

Zenithon

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Dodge Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OP didn't give their transmission choice so I assumed Manual Transmission because it's tons more fun.

Always assume Manual, it's the safe bet.
That was my bad. I am going automatic, because I want the bigger engine. Also getting a 4-door.

OP
OP

Zenithon

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Dodge Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here are my 2 cents:

Dude, you live in Nevada, I really do not think you will ever go below 35s. The 2dr looks perfect with 35s and the 4dr actually needs 37's.

If you go squatch you are 100% good for 35s or 37s, if you want to go down to a 33 for some ungodly reason yes, you would be over geared and highway will not be optimal for you.

On the other hand, if you do not go squatch and ever wanted to go up in tire size, to do it properly you would need to be regeared and that is a PITA and not cheap and new rims and would not be covered under warranty from there on out.

So, my suggestion is if you are going to do anything with the Bronco besides daily driver for 2 years and then trade it, go squatch.
Thanks! Your comments slapped some sense into me & I went with sasquatch. Order is in & I am hoping for the earliest possible delivery.

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
dropping to the 33's from the 35's (actually 34's) will cause your speedometer and odometer to read about 5% high. Aside from, perhaps, some minor alignment changes, you should be good to go, just remember that 60 MPH indicated is more like 63 MPH (80 would be 84 and so on)

Sponsored

Offroadrob

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 TRD PRO, 10 Cayman S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm ordering a Badlands and am trying to make up my mind on whether to get the sasquatch package or not. Just not sure I want 35's, but would hate to get it with 33's and wish I went the other way after delivery. From what I've read there seems to be quite a bit of work to go from 33's to 35's properly. So here are my questions for all of you out there who are way more knowledgeable than me on this kind of thing:

If I get it Sasquatched and later decide I'd rather go down to 33's, what would be involved? Would the 4.7 gear ratio still be ok? Would I need new rims? I would probably need to at least change out the fender flairs, but that shouldn't be a big deal. Is there any other downside to this, and most importantly would it look bad?

**Additional Info: I am getting a 4-door with the automatic transmission & 6-cyl engine.
similar situation.

im not sure I want to run 35s in the winter*, but I want them in the summer (4drauto like you)

I've looked at the gearing, talkEd to Ford test drivers, posted and asked on forums, talked to my tire guy ... the bottom line is no one REALLY knows, cause no one has done it yet. However, past experience and a little math lead me to believe that the nonsquatch badlands will push 35s and that a squatch will roll 33s without ridiculous rpm at highway speed.

During the Moab drive along our driver left it in rock crawl and put his foot in it, I don’t have a number for you, but we went pretty fast in 4L, that 10 speed automatic took it in stride. 4L is what, 3.06:1? And it’ll do 40ish without any drama? Going between the 35s(34.4) and the 33s (32.7) is about 1.052:1. I think you are fine either way, I’m going with the vehicle designed and engineered to run 35s

*winter isn’t a subtle event where I live, I’m at 10k in Colorado. I run dedicated winters, and don’t wheel in the winter - it’s about highway driving. 315 is over 12 inches wide and I’m not sure that’s a great idea but honestly don’t know

DenverBronc

Badlands
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've wrestled with this too. Currently have a 4 door badlands automatic 2.7 SAS on order. Like some others on this forum, I think that 285/75r17 (basically 34s) might be the sweet spot for me in terms of looks and capability in ice and snow, because I drive in the mountains a lot during the winter. You can go up to that size from a stock automatic badlands easily without regearing, and same would be true going down to that size with an automatic SAS. That being said, BFG KO2s in 35s are three-peak mountain snowflake rated too and from everything I've read online they appear to handle snow pretty well. Don't know whether the Goodyear Territory MTs will get that also but at least they've got plenty of siping. If I ever decide to ditch the 35s for something smaller, the 34s are probably what I'll go with, rather than 33s. Smaller impact on RPMs. The other tire I've been taking a keen look at is the Toyo Open Country AT3s in 35x11.50r17. That's the only C load 35in AT tire I've seen which is thinner than 12.50, and it's three peak mountain snowflake rated also.

Last edited:

71to21-2DR

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Mechanically you can get away without re-gearing and keeping same rims...aesthetically, those flares are specific to SAS so may look a little funny with 33s. If that doesn’t bother you, you are gtg...
keep the Sasquatch!
Leave the flares, push the wheels out -12 offset 33x12.5 still will look Fat!

MRGTX

Big Bend
First Name
Duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 LTZ Duramax Silverado, 1964 GMC , 1962 VET
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Here are my 2 cents:

Dude, you live in Nevada, I really do not think you will ever go below 35s. The 2dr looks perfect with 35s and the 4dr actually needs 37's.

If you go squatch you are 100% good for 35s or 37s, if you want to go down to a 33 for some ungodly reason yes, you would be over geared and highway will not be optimal for you.

On the other hand, if you do not go squatch and ever wanted to go up in tire size, to do it properly you would need to be regeared and that is a PITA and not cheap and new rims and would not be covered under warranty from there on out.

So, my suggestion is if you are going to do anything with the Bronco besides daily driver for 2 years and then trade it, go squatch.
[/QUO

I think just the opposite, The first time I seen the new 2dr Bronco with the Sasquatch 35s The first thing that popped into my head was the tires were too big . Ford should of went 33s I was thinking . The 35s just make it look like the wheels & tires are bigger than the body of the Bronco . They look okay on the bigger 4dr but too big imo on the smaller 2dr . But with the bad lands 33 look good but sits a little too low . So there for I thing with the Sasquatch lift and back to 33s the look will be just right . The 35s just make it look like some kids been messing with a lift kit and big tires . That was my first impression but now that they have been around awhile , I'm starting to get used to the look . I also don't like how wide the flares are . The smaller flares look much more in proportion to me . So I have been thinking the same thing should I order the Sasquatch to get the lift and gears and go down to 33s & yes I think they will be fine on the stock rims in fact I think they are the same on the bad lands if you go sasquatch or not the rim is the same I think . I also want to pull my camping trailer so the extra gear should help . I'm going with the manual and 4 cyl . I wish someone could post a pic of a sasquatch with 33s to see if I'm right .

ABorges

Base
First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 F100
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm ordering a Badlands and am trying to make up my mind on whether to get the sasquatch package or not. Just not sure I want 35's, but would hate to get it with 33's and wish I went the other way after delivery. From what I've read there seems to be quite a bit of work to go from 33's to 35's properly. So here are my questions for all of you out there who are way more knowledgeable than me on this kind of thing:

If I get it Sasquatched and later decide I'd rather go down to 33's, what would be involved? Would the 4.7 gear ratio still be ok? Would I need new rims? I would probably need to at least change out the fender flairs, but that shouldn't be a big deal. Is there any other downside to this, and most importantly would it look bad?

**Additional Info: I am getting a 4-door with the automatic transmission & 6-cyl engine.
I have a Base with 33's wouldn't change a thing, you will have to calibrate the speedo, but well worth it!!

71to21-2DR

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Do what I did… go to 34’s!
Love it! 1 inch front level and
All the Sas goodies! Quicker off the line! Still Bogs on the highway. But-… I love sport mode!
Just need Forscan to change tire size
Ford Bronco Sizing down to 33's with Sasquatch - what would be involved? 229D234A-3A1C-4661-BEF4-7E3AC4D6C7DB
Ford Bronco Sizing down to 33's with Sasquatch - what would be involved? 35EB2E83-811B-40A1-B049-A8A751C490D5
Ford Bronco Sizing down to 33's with Sasquatch - what would be involved? 7B2A8841-1DCF-4A89-A6DB-4A85875A6AA4
Sponsored