Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Which video? I watch almost all of their content. And I haven’t seen a single build with protection made for the trailing arm mount.
If i didn't hallucinate i think i caught a glimpse of them in there Maybe on the Fun Haver or DV8/ADD build ? They don't really stop on them or talk about them, since they are not heavy crawlers. But they are fun to watch, good info.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Spiff89

Spiff89

First Edition
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
So this is from the FunHaver Sema build.

Ford Bronco Skid Plates for Control arms and additional protection for Trail arm 1637017841569

j_4260

Badlands
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A3, Ducati M620, BMW GSA 1200
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Been looking around, has anyone found anything yet? I took mine out to the trails this past weekend, and the rear trailing arm armor got bumped. I compared the driver's side to the passenger side, definitely deformed and looking to add more protection before the next outing.

Here's the driver's side that took the knock:

Ford Bronco Skid Plates for Control arms and additional protection for Trail arm PXL_20220526_033724607.NIGHT

Passenger side:

Ford Bronco Skid Plates for Control arms and additional protection for Trail arm PXL_20220526_033843885.NIGHT

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Been looking around, has anyone found anything yet? I took mine out to the trails this past weekend, and the rear trailing arm armor got bumped. I compared the driver's side to the passenger side, definitely deformed and looking to add more protection before the next outing.

Here's the driver's side that took the knock:

Ford Bronco Skid Plates for Control arms and additional protection for Trail arm PXL_20220526_033843885.NIGHT

Passenger side:

At least your Badlands has the extra plate on the leading edge. My base does not and one day of wheeling at Hot Springs worked it over pretty hard. I'll be building something for this area before another crawling trip.
Ford Bronco Skid Plates for Control arms and additional protection for Trail arm PXL_20220516_231605598

Sponsored

j_4260

Badlands
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A3, Ducati M620, BMW GSA 1200
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

At least your Badlands has the extra plate on the leading edge. My base does not and one day of wheeling at Hot Springs worked it over pretty hard. I'll be building something for this area before another crawling trip.
Ford Bronco Skid Plates for Control arms and additional protection for Trail arm PXL_20220516_231605598
Damn that's gnarly! Post up the results when you get around to it. I may have a shop make some plates if there's nothing available.

Ft. Worth Rob

Outer Banks
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X7, Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Breathing life into an old thread. Trying to find rear control arm skids for my two door OBX. Trying to find a simple install.

Rancho expects you to punch a hole in the arm mount to install,

ASFIR only for four door according to their site

ACFab not responding to email

Carli not answering phone or returning voicemail.

DV8 only compatible with OEM skid and OBX doesn’t have that.

Who am I missing that offers them and what did you find?

climb2descend

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15'F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Breathing life into an old thread. Trying to find rear control arm skids for my two door OBX. Trying to find a simple install.

Rancho expects you to punch a hole in the arm mount to install,

ASFIR only for four door according to their site

ACFab not responding to email

Carli not answering phone or returning voicemail.

DV8 only compatible with OEM skid and OBX doesn’t have that.

Who am I missing that offers them and what did you find?
I went through this rigamorerole a few weeks back, I still don't understand how there is 4 door specific ones. I had emailed Carli awhile back and they said theirs is compatible with 2 door. There is also IAG you can add to your list.

Personally I'm in the middle of installing Foutz Motorsports ones, kind of expensive but worth the extra money, theirs makes the approach angle much better and has hdpe slider bolted to the skid.

https://www.foutzmotorsports.com/co...co-rear-lower-arm-mount-guard-with-hdpe-slide

Last edited:

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ft. Worth Rob

Outer Banks
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X7, Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I went through this rigamorerole a few weeks back, I still don't understand how there is 2 door vs 4 door ones. I had emailed Carli awhile back and they said theirs is compatible with 2 door. There is also IAG you can add to your list.

Personally I'm in the middle of installing Foutz Motorsports ones, kind of expensive but worth the extra money, theirs makes the approach angle much better and has uhmw slider bolted to the skid.
Thanks. I’d not seen the Foutz. Pricey but does look like you get what you pay for with the features you mention. IAG is sold out of theirs. Do you have to do any modification to the arm mount for the Foutz?

Sponsored

climb2descend

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15'F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thanks. I’d not seen the Foutz. Pricey but does look like you get what you pay for with the features you mention. IAG is sold out of theirs. Do you have to do any modification to the arm mount for the Foutz?
You can check out the install instructions here if you like:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1...-Installation-assembly-guide.pdf?v=1697488037

No mods required. I installed the driver side one yesterday evening and that was fine. I need to drop the fuel tank to install the passenger skid, I'm going to do rear trailing arms at the same time so I'm not sure if I'm going to get to that this weekend since I have more then a 1/2 a tank of fuel left and want to wait until I'm near empty.

StinkBug

Wildtrak
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Dallas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
@Ft. Worth Rob @climb2descend

Stinky Fab (@StinkBug) has some options; I especially like the 7075 suspension links. He's a member and has been seen around here lately, hopefully you can get a response from him.

https://www.stinkyfab.com/collections/bronco-parts/bronco
Thanks for the plug. We do have front lower control arm skids available now, as well as the rear links which are built to be slammed into rocks. I've been heavily debating what route to go with on the rear frame mounts though. They certainly need reinforcement, but I'm not really fond of a lot of the bolt on options I've seen. Having spent many years in professional rock crawling I simply don't see those holding up well to significant hits. For myself I'd rather design a full box that welds in place over the stock bracket, as that's simply the strongest option.

My only question there is how many Bronco owners are willing to buy a weld on product. The Jeep crowd that I've sold to historically has no problem with that, but I get the impression that most here want more bolt on friendly items. Am I wrong about this? If so I'll pursue it more than just for my own ride.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the plug. We do have front lower control arm skids available now, as well as the rear links which are built to be slammed into rocks. I've been heavily debating what route to go with on the rear frame mounts though. They certainly need reinforcement, but I'm not really fond of a lot of the bolt on options I've seen. Having spent many years in professional rock crawling I simply don't see those holding up well to significant hits. For myself I'd rather design a full box that welds in place over the stock bracket, as that's simply the strongest option.

My only question there is how many Bronco owners are willing to buy a weld on product. The Jeep crowd that I've sold to historically has no problem with that, but I get the impression that most here want more bolt on friendly items. Am I wrong about this? If so I'll pursue it more than just for my own ride.
Hmm, good question. I think the above are looking for something simpler like bolt on. I don't know how to weld, but I'd like to learn. I have to weld something back on right now, in fact, from coming down on a rock. lol Right next to the front LCA.

I would love to see a thread about that which covered: Do you have a prototype or anything you could show? Why welded only in the back? Is there a way to facilitate either with the same setup?

We won't let those Jeepers do one better! lol I assume you could have enough buyers (I don't know), it just depends on if you can find the ones that would. I've got some places I want to go I think they'd be useful, but I'm probably leaning more to the harder edge than most.

StinkBug

Wildtrak
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Dallas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hmm, good question. I think the above are looking for something simpler like bolt on. I don't know how to weld, but I'd like to learn. I have to weld something back on right now, in fact, from coming down on a rock. lol Right next to the front LCA.

I would love to see a thread about that which covered: Do you have a prototype or anything you could show? Why welded only in the back? Is there a way to facilitate either with the same setup?
I don't have anything designed yet, just been watching my mounts get banged up and thinking out how i wanna fix it. The issue i see with bolt on is just that there's are only so many places to put bolts, and the bolts have to be relatively small. A good hit will move the whole thing or possibly break the bolts. I'd prefer to have it weld to the bracket on both sides, and to the bottom of the frame at the front. That isn't gonna move.

I totally understand not being able to weld yourself being an issue, though any 4x4 shop or even a muffler shop could do it pretty easily. From a business/sales perspective that could be a deal breaker though.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't have anything designed yet, just been watching my mounts get banged up and thinking out how i wanna fix it. The issue i see with bolt on is just that there's are only so many places to put bolts, and the bolts have to be relatively small. A good hit will move the whole thing or possibly break the bolts. I'd prefer to have it weld to the bracket on both sides, and to the bottom of the frame at the front. That isn't gonna move.

I totally understand not being able to weld yourself being an issue, though any 4x4 shop or even a muffler shop could do it pretty easily. From a business/sales perspective that could be a deal breaker though.
When you get something worked up for yourself, I'd like to see it regardless. It is a little more effort but a lot more effective, but yeah, maybe a mental bridge too far for the more casual off roaders. If you do a thread, @ me so I don't miss it if you don't mind.
Sponsored