First Name
Jordano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have this dream of going cross country with my Bronco in the springtime. Just came in 2 weeks ago. Got a 2 Door Outerbanks with the hard top and a 2.7L engine. I've been researching hardcore into different sleeping options such as rooftop tents, and trailers. I really like the idea of sleeping within the vehicle itself and was wondering if anyone's had any experience with this yet.

The rooftop tent seems like a good option too but I've heard concerns over the weight limit on top of the vehicle, and current mounting options. Just wondering if anyone has any plans for when the time does come.

Thanks.
Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How tall are you? I'd have to take the rear seats out and have an elevated platform that would extend over the leaned forward passenger front seat.

I'm going to pull a teardrop with my 2dr.

babraunagel

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have this dream of going cross country with my Bronco in the springtime. Just came in 2 weeks ago. Got a 2 Door Outerbanks with the hard top and a 2.7L engine. I've been researching hardcore into different sleeping options such as rooftop tents, and trailers. I really like the idea of sleeping within the vehicle itself and was wondering if anyone's had any experience with this yet.

The rooftop tent seems like a good option too but I've heard concerns over the weight limit on top of the vehicle, and current mounting options. Just wondering if anyone has any plans for when the time does come.

Thanks.
If you're sleeping in your 2-door, in addition to leveling your floor and needing to have a shorter stature (or sleep on your side curled up), you'll need a storage solution (e.g. rooftop or trailer) for the rest of your cross-country stuff. Otherwise, where are you going to put the stuff when you're sleeping?

Alternative to consider: Buy a nice ultralight tent (like Big Agnes) and it will work for your cross-country trip, camping trips and backpacking adventures... as well as save you cash. BTW, tents pitched on the ground are warmer than rooftop tents.

rich

Badlands
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Rubicon, Moto Guzzi V7 III
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
i am going to attempt something similar to this if I ever get a bronco delivered to me.
I am 6ft and need something that will extend past the end of the vehicle
Ford Bronco Sleeping in 2 Door Bronco 0A257FDC-625C-4E32-8D1C-350B83B8ABF2
Ford Bronco Sleeping in 2 Door Bronco E13B0668-EACE-49C2-8B5B-8E6FAEF90E5A

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
I expect we'll see something good for the 2doors that leverage the open tailgate to cantilever a sleeping platform out the back. You'll definitely need a roof rack for storage.

I'm thinking of something like this
https://www.2ndelmnt.com/
IMG_7717.jpg

Sponsored

Bob Blaylock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Dart
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks.
I intend to get this tent.

https://accessories.ford.com/products/napier-sportz-suv-tent

Ford Bronco Sleeping in 2 Door Bronco 1638293535561

Looking at what tents Ford offered to go along with the Bronco, it jumped out at me that not only is this one much less expensive than the two rooftop tent offerings, but it's a lot bigger, as well. And it can be separated from the Bronco, if you want to leave the tent set up where it is, and go driving in the Bronco.

Don't know how much we'll actually use it. @Seanette and I really aren't into camping. In practical terms, we've justified the intent to buy this as part of a larger idea of setting things up so that if we ever have to evacuate, we can have the Bronco equipped with this, along with emergency food and water and other supplies to survive, if necessary, away from home for a while.

In reality, the desire on my part for this tent stems to some weird psychological stuff that I had going on a couple of years ago, as I was recovering from a broken leg. Among other strange stuff going on in my head during that time, was a pattern that started with remembering the box that always came whenever we got a new water heaters when I was a child, and how I always valued that box as something to play in, and even to make into a small shelter in the back yard, and somehow, it evolved into a fantasy about a portable shelter that could be attached to a vehicle. I actually envisioned something different than a conventional soft tent, but I don't know if what I envisioned is actually feasible.

As my leg healed, as I returned to work, and as my life and my mental state returned to something closer to normal, that all faded away, until I saw tents on Ford's accessories site as I was starting to form what, then was still a fantasy, about buying a Bronco.

tokyo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
siennavenzasparkXDfit
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

How tall are you? I'd have to take the rear seats out and have an elevated platform that would extend over the leaned forward passenger front seat.

I'm going to pull a teardrop with my 2dr.
I think a sub 2k trailer is a good option, there is a thread on that topic with some cool options.

However I was also wondering for solo trips if the front passenger seat can recline all the way back. Then with the rear seats removed an elevated sleeping platform might supported in the middle by the fully reclined passenger seat high point and at the front by a hook on the grab bar and at the rear by a support under which gear can be stored..

Being a Grangetober order I won't get my hands on a bronco for a long time yet. Hopefully someone with a 2-door can play around and find a good solo option

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think a sub 2k trailer is a good option,
I've been building one, it's 10Lx 6.5W x 5H and sleeps 3. I'm trying to stay under 1500 dry.

Julz670

Black Diamond
First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Previously: '83 and '95 Bronco XLTs. RIP.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have a 141 lb rooftop tent. I'm thinking of chancing it with the OEM rack on my 2dr until an aftermarket rack comes out with higher weight rating. I'm pretty worried though since I haven't seen anyone else saying they are going to take that chance. Fingers crossed that the weight rating was set by lawyers at a much lower rating than the actual capability of the roof. To add to my hesitancy, all the MIC issues have not helped my confidence that the roof will hold the tent plus two adults. If I end up taking this chance, I'll be taking it VERY easy if doing any off-roading with that thing up there.

kirnma

Base
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Canyon
Your Bronco Model
Base
Be comfortable and get a teardrop trailer. You can buy a new one anywhere between $6K and $12K with all sorts of options, or not. You can get one from Braxton Creek, InTech, Hiker Trailers, etc. They're easy to tow, keep you off the ground and dry in a comfortable bed, and some of them have A/C, heat, and kitchens. The added bonus is you can leave them at the campsite when you want to go off roading. They weigh, give or take, 1200 lbs, with a hitch weight of 150-200 lbs. I had the benefit of borrowing one last year (a Little Guy teardrop), and absolutely loved it.

Sponsored

RG7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B8 A4, 2018 Triumph Street Triple R
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You can try deleting the rear seats, but for sleeping it still might not be practical if all your gear has to go somewhere else at night. Also might still be too little space depending on how tall you are.

There are hundreds of rooftop tents out there. GFC makes a really good lightweight hard shell one. Could probably fit it on the top of the 2D but might look a little funny.

Murph914

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 F-350 reg cab srw v10 manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Goosegear has a rear seat delete that makes the back flat up to the front seats.

Here is a kit to make your own trailer. Kinda neat.

I’d do the goose gear delete, a decent small dry tent and a storage box either on top or using the hitch.

OP
OP

JayBird93

Outer Banks
First Name
Jordano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Appreciate all of the feedback! For reference, I am 6 feet tall so I'm probably not going to fit unless I look into removing the front passenger seat and flatten it all. I love the aesthetic of the 2 door Bronco but the 4 door is starting to look more and more practical. Gonna make due with what I have! I do like the idea of the tent that hangs off the back...

RG7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B8 A4, 2018 Triumph Street Triple R
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've been building one, it's 10Lx 6.5W x 5H and sleeps 3. I'm trying to stay under 1500 dry.
Sounds like dirt lifestyle’s trailer build. He’s in the PNW too. Would love a write up on the build once it’s done.
Sponsored