Sponsored

Slide Out Tailgate Tray: Gimmick or Necessity

What is your current view of the slide out tailgate, irrespective of availability?

• Total voters

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yeah I think of needing door storage for something like if you are going on a road trip, vaca, etc and decide you want to take them off once you get on site.

I read about people chaining their doors to trees, or having to come back around.Why didn't those folks just leave their doors at home? Meaning if experienced off roaders are resorting to that, there must be reasons, no?
Sponsored

phillyfx4

Outer Banks
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 F 150 4X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I surf fish so I NEED IT .....if it ain't got a tailgate I mean WTF ? :LOL:

My doors will NEVER be off so I an care less if they don't fit in the back ;)

Tailgate tray or BUST .....

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

They could've used a swing carrier like on a FSB
A while back, somewhere, it was stated from Ford that most people preferred (whoever those people they asked were) to open the rear in one shot, as opposed to swinging the tire out and dropping a tailgate, so they went with the design we see now.

The slide out tray was a way to make everyone happy. Of course... Here no one is ever happy with a decision that isn't the best for them.

As an avid user of a tailgate I prefer the design they have now. I'm still the grocery shopper in my household. I like to just open the rear and toss the groceries, or whatever, in the back with one hand instead of swinging a tire out and then opening a tailgate.

AzScorpion

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah I think of needing door storage for something like if you are going on a road trip, vaca, etc and decide you want to take them off once you get on site.

I read about people chaining their doors to trees, or having to come back around.Why didn't those folks just leave their doors at home? Meaning if experienced off roaders are resorting to that, there must be reasons, no?
My guess would be if you're camping or away for a long vacation and the chance of rain and getting wet? Other than that mine will be off along with the roof most of the time here. We don't get much rain and it'll be used as a second vehicle.

Megawatt

First Name
JO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lifted Rubicon usually off-road.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
They could've used a swing carrier like on a FSB
Same solution previous Broncos used. ??‍♂
Adding a separate tire carrier you have increased the cost for the Bronco. And increased the number of parts to manufacture for the suppliers and more things to assemble on the Bronco. You now must add an electric motor for the glass And associated wiring and controls. Could it be done? Sure, but it gets added cost and complexity to an already pricey Bronco.

Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What’s the difference between sitting on the tailgate and sitting in the cargo area?
About as much difference as your standard kitchen chair and a Kitchen chair with a bumper and trailer hitch bolted to the front of it.

;)

Beachin 74

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, 2015 F-150, 2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I surf fish so I NEED IT .....if it ain't got a tailgate I mean WTF ? :LOL:

My doors will NEVER be off so I an care less if they don't fit in the back ;)

Tailgate tray or BUST .....
It sure beats cutting bait on the hood.:oops:
I wish they had them for the 2-door I'm going to order but I understand why they don't.

bmclain

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Explorer, 2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Don't really care about the slide out, but I do want the security cage they had in the overlander one. Want more info on that bad boy!

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ford Bronco Slide Out Tailgate Tray: Gimmick or Necessity 20200416_155829
i made this holds a 35 does not droop solid as heck might make one for the bronc.

Sponsored

Corsair

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Adding a separate tire carrier you have increased the cost for the Bronco. And increased the number of parts to manufacture for the suppliers and more things to assemble on the Bronco. You now must add an electric motor for the glass And associated wiring and controls. Could it be done? Sure, but it gets added cost and complexity to an already pricey Bronco.
You were acting as if it was an unheard feature. It’s not. Nice changing of the goal posts though.

Rocketeer Rick

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 STX 5.0L, 1999 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Maybe. Even probably.

However, there's no reason that the glass would have to be any different than it is now. Why would the current top-hinged window care if the gate hinges on the side or the bottom? I know that others have suggested a roll down glass, but that's always been problematic on FSBs, and current window design would work just fine. Having a retractable glass is neat, but not required.

As far as the complexity added for the swing away carrier, yes, there would be a higher part count. Whether this would add up to a lot of extra cost is an interesting debate, but not really the bigger issue. The actual carrier mount would not only need a rugged hinge and latch, but you'd probably also need to significantly beef up the structure of the quarter panel where the carrier pivot mounts. The fatigue of having a 100lb mass cantilevered out from the quarter while bouncing down the trail would definitely pose a stress on a portion of the body that normally doesn't see that sort of load. I've seen the carriers on EBs rip out from that. That would also cascade into the modularity of the bolt-on quarter panels. So, the technical challenges probably were just as important as the cost ones. They could, of course, be engineered away, but that further drives cost...

BroncoJay

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Storing doors onboard is the gimmick. The tailgate seems very useful for my needs.
There both “gimmicky” depending on needs and wants

I can see why on board door storage for people who lack storage or garage space and I can see why tailgaters or campers would like the slide out tailgate
It’s all relative

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 2 door MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It’s cool I’d like to see a version for the 2 door in the future from Ford or an aftermarket.

350DGRZ

First Edition
First Name
Nilo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 FX4 Ecoboost
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Fold down? And WTH are you going to do about a spare tire? Where would you put the spare?

A 35” wheel weighs about 100 lbs. Spare tires need to stay in the back where they put it and able to move out of the way to access the back storage. Not possible to put a spare on your fold down tailgate idea and be able to get inside the Bronco. Most people can’t even lift a 35” tire off the tire holder alone and you want to add the weight of a tailgate to a tire when storing gear in the back?
The tire alone would be on a swing arm.
Sponsored