Sponsored

Sliders - why are there virtually no frame mounts?

GreenMtnBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BadSquatch; 13 Wrangler JK; 04 Lifted Mini
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

dumb question - I know that securing (bolt or weld) to the frame is THE way to go for a true slider. The factory sliders on the BL are rated at holding 1.5x vehicle weight (so Ford says), If any "slider" mounts to the same points as the factory items, why are they not good enough for sliding?
for that matter, most every manufacturer has not created anything that will attach to the frames by bolt or weld, seems odd that with so many experienced offroad MFGs that there is virtually nothing.

My biggest concern with the one or two that are frame mountable, is that I would only weld them, I wouldn't want to pierce the frame tube unnecessarily, I am in New England and I've yet to find an aftermarket slider for my JK that survives more than a couple of winters, needing to replace a slider after a few years that was welded on seems like I am creating another ordeal for down the road.
Looking for the much more experienced crowd hear to learn from
thanks!

pic of what I think are SRQ sliders welded to a Bronco
Ford Bronco Sliders - why are there virtually no frame mounts? 1641216390893
Sponsored

OP
OP
GreenMtnBronco

GreenMtnBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BadSquatch; 13 Wrangler JK; 04 Lifted Mini
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Maybe because of the Wrangler examples, there isn't a market for it? Anyone capable of welding a slider to the frame likely is going to build their own.
the market is for sliders that can "bolt" to a frame, many choose to weld instead of violating the integrity of the frame.

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Maybe because of the Wrangler examples, there isn't a market for it? Anyone capable of welding a slider to the frame likely is going to build their own.
People who can weld and enjoy fabricating will build their own. With all time involved in designing and building, it's cheaper to buy, if your time is worth anything.

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
F450, Jeep XJ, Porsche 911, 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The heat affected zone on a weld, especially high strength steel like in a Ford frame, weakens the frame more then drilling a few holes. So, not better to weld. Body mounted sliders are OK, like the stock Bronco sliders, if they don't stick out (like the stock sliders) and only take a hit from underneath. If they stick out much, they will also take a twisting force from hitting or pivoting on a rock on the outside edge, and then they need to be mounted to the frame.

Sponsored

Exomodo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Re-reading your initial post and Goatman2s, drilling into the vertical webbing of a beam, box section or "C" channel is allowable, where drilling, cutting or welding into the top or bottom of the same is not. I'm not sure what material the Bronco frame is made of but I know the Super Duty F250/350/450 (at least until 2016) etc. frames were all mild steel and welding was not forbidden, unlike their competitors that used high strength steels that are more critical to issues with weld degradation... All my super duty frames are multiple piece components welded together from the factory. I imagine the Bronco frame is also a series of weldment as well.

Toward the end of my BIIs life, it had a not insignificant hole in the driver's side frame between the mounting points of the rear leaf spring where the shock mount funneled debris. Knowing what I do about metals, it did not concern me but my less educated but non-the-less experienced friend protested. It never failed over the 44,000 miles I owned it because the top and bottom of the frame was fine.

Last edited:

BC overlanding

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have read that ford didn't make frame with hole patterns that can be used for sliders, with that said aftermarket for Bronco is still very young someone will figure it out at some point. If not welding will be the only real overlanding, rock crawling option. Pinch weld mounted sliders aren't going to be strong enough in my opinion

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have read that ford didn't make frame with hole patterns that can be used for sliders, with that said aftermarket for Bronco is still very young someone will figure it out at some point. If not welding will be the only real overlanding, rock crawling option. Pinch weld mounted sliders aren't going to be strong enough in my opinion
Why only welding? Virtually no one in a Jeep welds the sliders on, they are nearly all bolted. Nothing wrong with drilling and bolting to the frame. And yes, still lots of room in the aftermarket for Bronco accessories.

Sponsored

Frankie945

Base
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

For the kinda wheeling most people are going to do with their bronco tub mounted sliders are going to do just fine. I ran poison spyder rocker knocker’s on my jku with 1 ton axles, coil overs and 40s. I use to rub them and drop down on all kinds of hard stuff and never had a problem. Only main draw back I can see is you can winch off or use them as jack points. (You could in a emergency but not recommended. )

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
People who can weld and enjoy fabricating will build their own. With all time involved in designing and building, it's cheaper to buy, if your time is worth anything.
Time is meaningless, its all relative, we are just sparks of life in an endless cosmic marching band, playing Inna-gadda-davita.

But yeah I will make my own unless those fancy powered step sliders come down below $1000.

U725Bronco

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

The frame design with lack of holes, lots of electrical etc makes it harder to design....that combined with price of materials, labor shortage, and many other products in the pipeline and this product seems slower to market. I'm sure we'll see some in the coming months though.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm not sure what material the Bronco frame is made of but
It's some really special high strength stuff IIRC. There was a big article on it.

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's some really special high strength stuff IIRC. There was a big article on it.
Ford started using high strength steel in frames back when I still worked there over 11 years ago. They made a big deal out of how strong their frames were. Even had a stress test at the new product sales training for F series. They had four frames set up in a jig with a long lever arm attached in one corner. They wanted you to grab the end of the long lever arm and pull down on it to see how much frame twist/deflection there was. Of the four frames, Ford, Chevy, Dodge, and Toyota, of course the Ford frame was the stiffest, then Dodge, Chevy, then Toyota. The Tundra frame was so flexible that it would deform and they had to flip it over and bend it back the other way. :giggle:
Sponsored