jas129

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've searched, but not found any answers. I have a March 2022 delivered 2.7 Badlands with 10,000 miles. I seem to have developed a small coolant leak and would like to know if anyone else has run across this and what the fix ultimately was. I have seen a couple of threads from others, but the two which indicated similar issues did not report back a fix.

I smell a slight coolant odor after driving for awhile with the engine fully warmed up. I do not ever see any coolant on the ground and I have not been able to find any signs of a leak at hose connections, overflow tank, radiator, etc. I have added about 1/2 quart three times since new to bring the level to cold min. Oil level is not rising and is not milky. I have not noticed any type of exhaust odor indicating it is burning it.

This is not the issue where the pully hits the coolant hose. Mine was produced after that and has a clip installed to keep the hose away from the pully.
Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Are you noticing any drops of coolant on the ground? Hate to speculate but on something this I'd be looking at a hose clamp and an accumulation of white crusty buildup around a connection. If it can't be located visually, it's going to need to be pressure tested and checked. Next best thing is to have the dealer put some UV dye in the system, drive it for a few weeks and have them check with a black light. If it's not an external leak, not running bad or missing first thing on start up, not showing up in the oil pan or transmission fluid, it could be going out of the exhaust through a turbo.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Check your reservoir cap as well. Wranglers are know to actually have coolant evaporate some strickly because of heat via the reservoir cap that is loosly snapped on (and not sealed very good).

OP
OP

jas129

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thank you for the replies.

I do not see any coolant on the ground and I have not been able to see traces of it around connections, clamps, etc. The reservoir cap is on tight and does not appear to be leaking.

I do not smell any coolant from the exhaust. I do smell it from the front of the Bronco after pulling into the garage. I feel that it is an external leak because of this and it should show up somewhere. I'll keep looking. I'm trying to avoid the dealer, if possible. I'll keep looking.

Slater

Badlands
First Name
Just Slater
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soul crushing Camry now cancled out by Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thank you for the replies.

I do not see any coolant on the ground and I have not been able to see traces of it around connections, clamps, etc. The reservoir cap is on tight and does not appear to be leaking.

I do not smell any coolant from the exhaust. I do smell it from the front of the Bronco after pulling into the garage. I feel that it is an external leak because of this and it should show up somewhere. I'll keep looking. I'm trying to avoid the dealer, if possible. I'll keep looking.
I’m glad I found your thread. I just noticed this issue on my late March 2022 2.7 with just under 7,000 miles. I pulled into the garage last night, and swore I smelled coolant for just a second at the very front of the car. I looked crazy intensely sniffing all around the grill. Checked under it later in the evening and this morning. Checked under the hood and I don’t see any leaks. I’ll go check the oil too and the exhaust too. No issues on power or general performance. Seems to operate completely normal.

Watching the thread and will report back if I discover anything new.

Sponsored

jehines3

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX350L, Chevrolet Silverado, Lincoln MKC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Both of you indicate smelling coolant, but not whether you have had to add coolant. What is the level?

Prew

Base
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Check for a leak both cold and hot, may be leaking on a cold engine. When the engine warms up, the coolant evaporates with the heat and then you smell it. (20 years as Ford Technician).

OP
OP

jas129

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have added about 1/2 qt three times in 10,000 miles. I am sure the coolant is leaking when hot and evaporating off something hot. I’m just not sure where the leak is.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Personally I’d unbolt the bash plates and see if there is any sign of coolant pooling on them.

If you don’t… and there is no other visual sign that you can find… then I agree with @flip—probably should have it pressure tested to confirm the leak. Most people don’t have the means to do that in their own garage… so it’ll probably be a trip to the dealer.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I've searched, but not found any answers. I have a March 2022 delivered 2.7 Badlands with 10,000 miles. I seem to have developed a small coolant leak and would like to know if anyone else has run across this and what the fix ultimately was. I have seen a couple of threads from others, but the two which indicated similar issues did not report back a fix.

I smell a slight coolant odor after driving for awhile with the engine fully warmed up. I do not ever see any coolant on the ground and I have not been able to find any signs of a leak at hose connections, overflow tank, radiator, etc. I have added about 1/2 quart three times since new to bring the level to cold min. Oil level is not rising and is not milky. I have not noticed any type of exhaust odor indicating it is burning it.

This is not the issue where the pully hits the coolant hose. Mine was produced after that and has a clip installed to keep the hose away from the pully.
Hi there. This leaking concern doesn’t sound like something we want you to experience with your Bronco. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to look into how I can assist you on my end.

Sponsored

SirBenimen

Badlands
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021Bronco 2020 GT500 2016 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just discovered I’m leaking coolant as well. I have an appointment scheduled for oct 31st. I searched from the top and bottom and can not pinpoint it but it’s right around the seal between the engine and transmission. Not sure if it’s leaking from there or leaking from the top and running down that joint.

0ne

Base
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flex
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’m not smelling or seeing coolant🤞but I had to add coolant, maybe half a quart in total, a couple times during the first 1000 miles that I attributed to air in the system from the brand new assembly.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I once owned an 1989 Ranger 4x4 with a six cylinder that started losing coolant. No signs of a leak and no issues in the motor oil. Tests conducted did not determine where the coolant was going. Dealership decided to change out the heads. Turned out there were hair line cracks in the heads after 50K miles. Ford replaced the heads under warranty, and the problem was solved.

lifeb4work

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badsquatch, 87 Suzuki Samurai.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've noticed this with our Bronco with the 2.7 as well. Built-in February of this year.

Mattsn

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Wondering if this has been resolved? My wife's bronco is doing the same thing
Sponsored