Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

ANY TEXANS ABLE TO TEST DRIVE A MT?? I'm in Houston. Dealer (Planet Ford) can't find a demo unit.
Bluebonnet Ford in New Braunfels has a 4 door badlands 7mt and maxwell Ford in Austin has a 2 door badlands 7mt both Cyber Orange.
Sponsored

bodean

Base
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
76 Mini, 99 4Runner, 07 FJ Cruiser, 16 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

From my research, if you stall in 4Low a prompt will come up giving you the option to bypass the clutch safety switch.

Not as convenient as Toyota or Jeep, but at least it can be done.

USING START IN GEAR

When driving difficult terrains in four-wheel drive low (4L), it is possible to stall the engine when your vehicle is not able to maintain speed. To easily start the engine and launch your vehicle, perform the following steps:
  1. After the vehicle stalls an information message displays in the cluster, To start in gear select YES and press OK.
  2. Firmly press the brake pedal when in gear and press and hold the Start button.
  3. When the engine starts and your vehicle begins to move, release the brake pedal.

bodean

Base
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
76 Mini, 99 4Runner, 07 FJ Cruiser, 16 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

And just to add, it’s not meant to get you out of situations after burning you clutch (although it will work for that) it’s to get you out of situations where you would burn up a clutch. Like stalling on a steep incline for example.

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2023 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I’ll bite. I’m not hardcore enough to know what I’m looking at - please explain what the lever does.

Thanks!
Hand Throttle. In certain situations I will be clutching and braking and using this instead of the gas pedal. With my setup, you pull up on it with the ring and pinky finger. It's actually more natural and easy that way.
It's also a really nice ghetto cruise control on the access roads and you can lock it so it holds an RPM which is convenient when using the York On Board Air to re-fill the tires. York is attached to the engine and inline with the serpentine belt.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hand Throttle. In certain situations I will be clutching and braking and using this instead of the gas pedal. With my setup, you pull up on it with the ring and pinky finger. It's actually more natural and easy that way.
It's also a really nice ghetto cruise control on the access roads and you can lock it so it holds an RPM which is convenient when using the York On Board Air to re-fill the tires. York is attached to the engine and inline with the serpentine belt.
Thanks for the details.

It sounds easier than heel/toe, which is what I used to do years ago in my last manual 4WD.

Sponsored

blsbikes2

Big Bend
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I did my first off roading in the steep woods (no trail) in a M/T Samurai also. It was a blast! Looking forward to my M/T Big Bend, if it ever gets here. Lost the starter on the Samurai and no problem getting home. Just need a hill or a friend to push. Another trick I will probably NEVER try on the Bronco unless desperate, is shifting without the clutch. Used to do it all the time in an old VW Bus. Just a matter of listening and feel and surprisingly easy.

wrbix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LR Def90, F250 7.3, Caterham 7, LR Series III, etc
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For those times when you need 3 feet while Rock Crawling

1642389885079.png
I rigged a hand throttle in my NAS Defender using an aircraft vernier mixture cable setup, but not as elegant as that setup. Agree really useful on those long uphill washboards too.
Is your setup hardware available somewhere?

OP
OP
KGRoberts

KGRoberts

Badlands
First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Chevelle
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Bluebonnet Ford in New Braunfels has a 4 door badlands 7mt and maxwell Ford in Austin has a 2 door badlands 7mt both Cyber Orange.
Thanks for this...
I will check these guys out again.

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Sponsored
OP
OP
KGRoberts

KGRoberts

Badlands
First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Chevelle
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For those times when you need 3 feet while Rock Crawling

1642389885079.png
Oh man, if I was riding shotgun in my buddy's vehicle with this setup, I would be messing with him! Reach over all sly-like and, FULL THROTTLE! :sneaky: :oops: Waaaaaa! Nope. Never mess with the driver.

Last edited:

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2023 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I've punched people in the face for doing stuff less stupid.

Exomodo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Have I missed something? Every clutch I've ever owned, when 'blown,' disconnects the engine from the driveline. Running the starter rotates a 'free' engine, but unless the clutch plate(s) make contact and hold to the flywheel and pressure plate, the transmission is not able to transmit rotational force to the transfer case and driveshafts.

Now, if the motor will not start due to defect or lack of fuel, in crawl/4low, the starter can move the vehicle a limited distance, but it still needs clutch material present to do so, this is where jumpering or bypassing the clutch switch would be handy as a selectable option.
Sponsored

Last edited: