Sponsored

Smoking (BBQ etc) thread. Not grilling ?

OP
OP
RLW

RLW

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Lexus GS 300, 2022 Badlands, 2022 Honda Odyss
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I like the brisket tips/tricks in the thread so far. Never even thought about a sous vide for brisket. Very interesting way to do it. All though I don’t have a sous vide machine.

I have done 5 briskets thus far, haven’t had the smoker a year yet.
They have all been good, some better than others.

my biggest issue seems to be I will get the point perfect but then the flat will be over done/a little dry. Or vice versa the flat will be great and the point not so much.

seems like separating it and smoking them as 2 different meats may be the way I go next time.
I think that will solve my issues. I know separating goes against the traditional way, but I’m tired of spending that much money on a brisket and only having half of it be great.
MBGA (make brisket great again)
Sponsored

dingle87

Black Diamond
First Name
Reese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Brisket: SPGO, 225-250. I never wrap and I’ve seen much more consistent results with final product and bark. Once it hits 195 IT, I start probing and wait until it probes like butter, which another poster mentioned.

Reactions: RLW

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Brisket: SPGO, 225-250. I never wrap and I’ve seen much more consistent results with final product and bark. Once it hits 195 IT, I start probing and wait until it probes like butter, which another poster mentioned.
Same. I rarely wrap. I find it only helps with a stall but doesn't make much of a difference otherwise. And it's a hassle messing with it and you lose the bark.

I separate the point and the flat and check them each until probe-tender. I use a fairly good thermometer with two probes but they are out from each other by a few degrees. I "trust but verify" by feel when it gets close to finishing temps.

Sponsored

robo

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru STi hatch, CG 2022 Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Using a Weber Summit Charcoal. It's basically a Weber kamado style smoker/weber grill. I love it.
Rib roast
Brisket
Turkey
Ford Bronco Smoking (BBQ etc) thread. Not grilling ? IMG_1647

Ford Bronco Smoking (BBQ etc) thread. Not grilling ? IMG_1652

Ford Bronco Smoking (BBQ etc) thread. Not grilling ? IMG_2382
Ford Bronco Smoking (BBQ etc) thread. Not grilling ? IMG_2384
Ford Bronco Smoking (BBQ etc) thread. Not grilling ? IMG_8944.JPG

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I know separating goes against the traditional way, but I’m tired of spending that much money on a brisket and only having half of it be great.
MBGA (make brisket great again)
The last few brisket I have smoked have just been the flat. 9-10 hours and it's done and enough to feed 10-12. It's nice not having to wake up in the wee hours to get everything going. And as long as you get it on by 7am it's ready for dinner.

Reactions: RLW

robo

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru STi hatch, CG 2022 Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The last few brisket I have smoked have just been the flat. 9-10 hours and it's done and enough to feed 10-12. It's nice not having to wake up in the wee hours to get everything going. And as long as you get it on by 7am it's ready for dinner.
I find the point gets eaten up much quicker (fat = flavor?) so I'll often make chili from the leftover flat. So good!

IMG_2386.jpg

Washbjj88

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've got a Butt in the fridge now. Going to see if I can figure that one out tomorrow on the Weber kettle.
It was super easy I did my first butt for Father’s Day. I used the snake method with lump charcoal and pecan wood chunks. If you can not get it hot enough just finish it in the oven for the last two hours.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Hossamus Prime

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
21 BadSquatch,‘21 ExplorerST , RIP 84 & 90 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Bologna? I love throwing a log on while smoking other things. So good
love smoking bologna!! Arkansas Prime Rib. l like to make smaller logs, therm use my SlotDog on them, when done slice them and eat them on some saltines with spicy pickles.
Ford Bronco Smoking (BBQ etc) thread. Not grilling ? 878CEFD8-192F-45EB-8EF4-64E8D549BBA9

Ford Bronco Smoking (BBQ etc) thread. Not grilling ? 1758F203-8B7A-474B-8EC3-91AF54728384

dingle87

Black Diamond
First Name
Reese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

love smoking bologna!! Arkansas Prime Rib. l like to make smaller logs, therm use my SlotDog on them, when done slice them and eat them on some saltines with spicy pickles.
Ford Bronco Smoking (BBQ etc) thread. Not grilling ? 1758F203-8B7A-474B-8EC3-91AF54728384

I need to try bologna, unfortunately my wife doesn’t have the same excitement. Lol

Hossamus Prime

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
21 BadSquatch,‘21 ExplorerST , RIP 84 & 90 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I need to try bologna, unfortunately my wife doesn’t have the same excitement. Lol
It tastes nothing like bologna. I always use the cheapest I can find, people at work who don’t like bologna, love it and request it. Definitely worth trying. I can usually get a log of Bar S brand for under $5.

5.0Maverick

Base
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 maverick.
Your Bronco Model
Base
Good thermometer or two, butcher paper not foil, let it rest properly, avoid white dirty smoke, consistent temp control, prefire the coal/wood before you add it, when you wrap for stall, wrap tightly. Don’t burn your sauce and remember to mop every 45 minutes with apple juice/apple cider vinegar. Oh and mesquite is super smoky so use less. My steam pan, I put quartered onions and halved peppers.

dingle87

Black Diamond
First Name
Reese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It tastes nothing like bologna. I always use the cheapest I can find, people at work who don’t like bologna, love it and request it. Definitely worth trying. I can usually get a log of Bar S brand for under $5.
Good to know, thanks for the info. Maybe I’ll sneak one in soon.
Sponsored