Sponsored

SMS Exposed Racks will be making roof racks for soft and hard tops!

hozer

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

migsby_carmichael

First Edition
First Name
Migsby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Crossbars can also be installed on Bronco Hard Top w/ Factory Rails, using Brackets: (2) 8-00-9795, and (2) 8-00-9799 (check exposedracks.com for other hard top bracket compatibility options)

Seems to suggest y ou need factory rails?
I saw that, a bit disappointing considering I was initially into this rack design because it seemed it did not hinder the ability to take the hard top off. Factory rails complicate that process...

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I saw that, a bit disappointing considering I was initially into this rack design because it seemed it did not hinder the ability to take the hard top off. Factory rails complicate that process...
Yeah, I assumed they were making a clamshell mounted version…I am pretty sure they are. It will be labeled as the “hardtop version”. This is just a way to use the “soft top version” on a hardtop.

gizmohd

Badlands
First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport (Wife), Bronco Badlands (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So looks like the Only way to use these racks on a soft top is with the soft top down? Kind of hard to put a roof top tent on it that way... LOL

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So looks like the Only way to use these racks on a soft top is with the soft top down? Kind of hard to put a roof top tent on it that way... LOL
Unless it’s a GFC Superlite…which they stopped making. I like the idea of the RTT going on only when it’s nice out for a long weekend and having a bikini top/cargo cover of some sort underneath.

Last edited:

Sponsored

hozer

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

FWIW I got this from SMS.
Ford Bronco SMS Exposed Racks will be making roof racks for soft and hard tops! 1635958671997

migsby_carmichael

First Edition
First Name
Migsby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
FWIW I got this from SMS.
Ford Bronco SMS Exposed Racks will be making roof racks for soft and hard tops! 1635958671997
Yeah...this rack is officially the worst option. Soft top needs to be down in order to install, and rails are needed for the hard top.

Rex21c

Wildtrak
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 fusion energi
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Got my brain going, would be nice to make a Fo-hardtop with those racks. Have a top that clicks in to those racks then into the mount points on the windshield, for those of us who switched to the soft top.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Got my brain going, would be nice to make a Fo-hardtop with those racks. Have a top that clicks in to those racks then into the mount points on the windshield, for those of us who switched to the soft top.
The front brackets themselves that mount to tge windshield frame are less than $30 each, bolts through parts are like $10 each but cheaper elsewhere. The real expense is the trapezoidal cross section side rails at over $500 each.

Down side of the factory brackets as a starter is that they interfere, from my initial perspective, with the front of the soft top even being lifted past just the brackets if you leave them in place, even to mount a light bar. Otherwise a custom crossbar on these with a "goalpost" in the rear hitch and you could mount a full platform although you could never open the tailgate

Mybbackpacker

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 FJ cruiser (just sold), 18 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Check out their Jeep soft top racks on their site: https://www.smsparts.com

Note: they also work with hard tops and will allow for a roof top tent
‘Thi would actually work for me. When I am towing my trailer I keep my bikes on it, but when get somewhere I need to be able to carry them. Gobi makes great stuff, but I want something soon. Thanks!

Sponsored

yokayyb

Badlands
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bmw 340i, Kawasaki zx6r
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wait you're saying the soft-top can close with the racks installed??
which Bimini top are you using with the exposed racks? Really wanted jtops but it won’t work with the racks
Sponsored