Sponsored

SMS Exposed Racks will be making roof racks for soft and hard tops!

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Now the big question: Will it work with Ford's MIC hard top design 2.0?
From the looks of it, they just clamp to the clamshell and have a set of feet for leverage in the middle. Should hold a decent amount of weight (their Jeep ones say something like 350 dynamic). This way you can get a small platform on like that fishing concept version.
Sponsored

never_own_a_ford_before

Badlands
First Name
Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Oh man this is amazing! I've been wanting to go camping in my new Badland but it has a soft top and I can't mount my roof tent until something like this is out.
I'd take the trade off for having to open the soft top every time over not being able to carry any thing at all on the roof.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Exposed racks on my Gladiator.

Ford Bronco SMS Exposed Racks will be making roof racks for soft and hard tops! 149C18F4-679B-4B18-9F44-9F6785FD01CF
Yeah but you have something solid to mount to. On our softtops any over the top crossbar has to wrap around and under the side of the cloth and then attach to the roll cage.

From what I have seen of the official Ford rack removal it appears one could not open teh panels of a MIC roof with the roof rack in place anyway. (if they have to go up in the air more than about 2")

And in reality, since the from of the oem roof rack installs in the windshield header and not the roof all we really need is a rear crossbar to attach the rack to

OP
OP
BroncoKong Jr.

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah but you have something solid to mount to. On our softtops any over the top crossbar has to wrap around and under the side of the cloth and then attach to the roll cage.
The rack on his Gladiator is the same one this thread is about. It mounts on a hard top, or to the roll bars under the soft top.

From what I have seen of the official Ford rack removal it appears one could not open teh panels of a MIC roof with the roof rack in place anyway. (if they have to go up in the air more than about 2")
You can remove the front two panels over the front seat but not the middle panel over the rear seats on the 4-door.

Sponsored

Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My wife talked me out of this. She said "what if it rains? And aren't you getting a hard top later anyway"

Damn she's often always right

OP
OP
BroncoKong Jr.

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My wife talked me out of this. She said "what if it rains? And aren't you getting a hard top later anyway"

Damn she's often always right
Or go ahead and get it because it's compatible with both :D

Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Or go ahead and get it because it's compatible with both :D
Haha I should have added that in between me getting this and me getting the hard top, I'd only use it a handful of times. So the thinking is, wait for the hard top and get rails then, as a long term (permanent... more elegant) solution

My future goal
Ford Bronco SMS Exposed Racks will be making roof racks for soft and hard tops! Ford Bronco Sunrider Top Softto

Last edited:

Sponsored

hellahella

Badlands
First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It’s either this or the ARB Base rack for me

OP
OP
BroncoKong Jr.

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Haha I should have added that in between me getting this and me getting the hard top, I'd only use it a handful of times. So the thinking is, wait for the hard top and get rails then, as a long term (permanent... more elegant) solution

My future goal
Ford Bronco SMS Exposed Racks will be making roof racks for soft and hard tops! Ford Bronco Sunrider Top Softto
Are you planning on a Rhino Rack Backbone or something? Because you'll most likely have to drill into the top for something like that.

OP
OP
BroncoKong Jr.

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's great for people who have the top down more often than not, like me. I'd rather have something like this than a rack that makes it harder (or impossible) to raise/lower the soft top.
Sponsored