Sponsored

Snow belt under body protection

Deleted member 3063

This will be my first off-road capable daily/project as well. I live in Michigan so i am also familiar with the salt tearing vehicles apart as time goes on.
I am planning to get it undercoated to help prevent this. I am also going to purchase an undercarriage sprayer attachment for my pressure washer. This will make washing under the Bronco A TON easier. It wont get everything, but it sure will help!

Link for the undercarriage I am going to order:
https://adamspolishes.com/products/adam-s-undercarriage-cleaner
$149 isn't exactly cheap... but then again, neither is replacing all the rusted out parts.
looks like one of those driveway attachments with the sprayers rotated 180deg. $24 ;)

https://www.amazon.com/MINGLE-Press...JCCWS8YKE6X&psc=1&refRID=M8A1EW2RSJCCWS8YKE6X
Sponsored

buildbigboats

Black Diamond
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I live in Colorado now, where cars aren't eaten alive like they are back in Illinois where I came from. I still want to think about rust though, as I plan on driving the Bronco forever.

Fluid Film seemed to be a popular choice for the Jeep crowd in Illinois ... and when it comes to rust prevention, I trust the opinion of Jeep owners ?. You apply it once a year, and if you check out some YouTube reviews, the results seem impressive.
Living in Northern Illinois now. Never saw such rotted vehicles on the road as I've seen here. Spent my life on east coast from Virginia to Maine and this place is unbelievable.
I undercoated my Tacoma with LPS3 after Toyota replaced the frame on their dime and very satisfied with application effort, protection and durability. Plan to do the same on the Bronco.

Mountain Goat

Black Diamond
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01 BMW 325i, '17 VW Alltrack, '20 Nissan Versa
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I remember Waxoyl often being recommended often in the Land Rover Discovery/Defender communities. Never tried it, mine was practically rust free and had some type of wax-like coating (at least in places where I didn't scrape the frame rails!) that still seemed to be mostly doing its job. Not sure if that was Waxoyl or something else.

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

like the OP said, the important thing is to wash often, especially when the weather warms up and you got salt. even just spraying it all down and getting the salt off the truck. the primers, underbody coatings and what not are a lot better then 10 years ago. if you do get it sprayed, careful that they are not drilling any holes.

Fly by Nite

Base
First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 F-150 Nite, 2001 Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Just spent the last two hours researching these (Wool Wax, Fluid Film). Looks like a solid plan IF you have access to a lift.
Don't need a lift to apply on a Bronco, Jeep or truck....You can get to most areas by laying on the ground.

I'm a fan of Fluid Film. I believe they may be changing the name to Wool Wax? It supposedly penetrates, which helps greatly on older vehicles with corroded hardware to loosen things up and prevent seizing.
The only downside is you are applying a layer of slime to everything..... gets messy if you need to do some repairs under there.

Another option is a 'Salt Neutralizer' product which gets applied frequently during the winter. Eastwood (who has a product for everything!) carries it. I first noticed it last year. No idea if it works well or not. If there are some chemists/materials guys on board they can look into the technology of the product and determine if it has merit.

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-road-salt-neutralizer-gallon.html

Winter storage is a huge factor in preventing winter time rust. Parking the vehicle in a warm garage every night will accelerate corrosion. Keep it outside (below freezing) and the salt/chemicals will not activate. It takes heat for the corrosion reaction to occur.

Sponsored

TJ Freestone

Big Bend
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD Edge
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I live in Colorado now, where cars aren't eaten alive like they are back in Illinois where I came from. I still want to think about rust though, as I plan on driving the Bronco forever.

Fluid Film seemed to be a popular choice for the Jeep crowd in Illinois ... and when it comes to rust prevention, I trust the opinion of Jeep owners ?. You apply it once a year, and if you check out some YouTube reviews, the results seem impressive.
I also live in NoCo, CO and plan to keeping my new Bronco forever. Thanks for the tip on Fluid Film as I am going to look into it. I want the best solution out there.

SpecOpsHippie

Wildtrak
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Denali 2500HD, Audi Q5, Triumph Bonneville
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hey, is the floor pan steel? Thought I saw that somewhere in a thread regarding galvanic action, dissimilar metal tape etc, can’t find it now.

buildbigboats

Black Diamond
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I also live in NoCo, CO and plan to keeping my new Bronco forever. Thanks for the tip on Fluid Film as I am going to look into it. I want the best solution out there.
Check out LPS3 and Woolwax as well

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I did a stupid amount of reading on this over the past few months and I have come to the conclusion that 1-2 washes with underbody a week should keep everything looking new. We use a ton of salt here in Michigan too and I battle with rust on my Jeep constantly so I know what a pain rust can be.

Every spring I will wash everything thoroughly to make sure salt didn't get into the doors and that all of the paint has held up underneath and grind and repaint what is necessary. It will likely be less maintenance that a lot of the coatings. My dad has a 2018 F-150 he is not religious about washing at all and is a daily driver with no rust so far.

Fluid Film is what I had found in all of my research to be the best, but it can be a mess if you work on the underbody of your Bronco at all. I know I will be under mine a lot for various reasons so I think I am going to pass on all additional protection and hope for the best.

Chrism81

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Google Fluid Film
second that. it's cheap and effective. I wouldn't trust the dealer. It's just another add on for them to screw you over. Plus if you do the undercoat yearly yourself you will notice issues a lot sooner then getting some dealer crap that is supposed to last years, which it won't.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here ya go, for the do it yourselfers.

A who is who of all the usual recommended rust preventitives.

As far as a lift, you can maybe crawl under a Bronco, especially a Sasquatch, a little, use some drive on ramps ....or be creative and find something solid to drive this ultra capable offroader on or over....hop a curb or straddle a ditch....maybe a loading dock ramp.

Last edited:

Loesch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My friends swear b y a product called POR15. I think I'm going to give it a try while everything is still nice and new.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I did a stupid amount of reading on this over the past few months and I have come to the conclusion that 1-2 washes with underbody a week should keep everything looking new. We use a ton of salt here in Michigan too and I battle with rust on my Jeep constantly so I know what a pain rust can be.

Every spring I will wash everything thoroughly to make sure salt didn't get into the doors and that all of the paint has held up underneath and grind and repaint what is necessary. It will likely be less maintenance that a lot of the coatings. My dad has a 2018 F-150 he is not religious about washing at all and is a daily driver with no rust so far.

Fluid Film is what I had found in all of my research to be the best, but it can be a mess if you work on the underbody of your Bronco at all. I know I will be under mine a lot for various reasons so I think I am going to pass on all additional protection and hope for the best.
I hope his 18 isn't rusting yet, the body is aluminum :) My 18 seems to be doing really well, aluminum aside. No obvious corrosion on the frame of steel fasteners/parts. The factory e-coat is pretty good as long as it stays in tact. I will take a different tack with my Bronco, bringing it inside in the winter, but hopefully rinsing it often and selecting the premium undercarriage wash and anti corrosion "spray" add on my local car wash advertises (no clue what it is or if it works). My 2011 Edge is still rust free and we generally followed the wash it as soon as the roads are cleared of salt approach with undercarriage wash until my daughter inherited it two years ago. Now it gets washed at least quarterly, after I complain how crappy it looks.

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Washing is good for getting corrosive agents off parts but aids the process by being the electrolyte ,i have always lived near the ocean and it is a constant battle one truck looked like new but behind the headlights was all rotten from rust.
FLUID FILM works i do it 2 times a year no problems .
Sponsored